JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I think it would be smart to move into cash if your a investor until things settle down and the correction is over. I will sell almost all my put options in the morning if its not looking like another down day and will wait to get back in. Made a killing last week and today.

Like I said, buy low, sell high. For me, now is not the time to sell, now is the time to buy.

I am not a day trader - I don't buy individual stocks. For me, it is a matter of moving money between bond funds and stock funds.

If you still have time, then there can be a benefit to a downturn - if you continue your regular contributions. You end up buying shares at a lower price, so you're buying more shares. When the market recovers, you can gain $$ even faster. My account grew much faster after the recession, once the recovery started, than it had before the crash. I regained what I lost and started growing much faster. This last year, since Trump was elected, I've seen more growth than any other time in my career. It would take a lot to erase those gains. I have at least another 10-15 years to work, so I'm still feeling like I've got time to weather the storms.

This right here. Calm down people. I have been in this market for the last 8 years. I lost a lot of money in the recession. I clawed my way back up, got into some real estate deals and reestablished our retirement funds. In January 2016 I was nervous. I had lost principle, and was considering getting out. I talked with a friend who is a lot better investor than I am and he said stay in. I did and I made every bit back that we lost, plus made another 12%. I lost some money the last couple of days, but nothing that bothers me much. I had taken 30% of my profits in the last year and bought some real estate. I am looking at 20% plus profits on that if I was to sell right now, I will probably hold on those and see if I can get another 5% of of it.

If you panic at every correction and this one was coming, we knew it was. I called my investor friend and asked him what he thought about the last couple of days. Oh he said he had looked at it, he is on the beach in Hawaii, but was pretty whatever about it. Once you get to a point and you have made well, you are not going to get hurt by a market drop. It would have to be a catastrophic market failure to hurt us at this point and I just don't see that. I have the majority of our accounts with Edward Jones and they have one hell of an alogorithim and process that has yield us 18.5 % that last year. I am staying put.

A couple guys I saw on Facebook were all Chicken Little..get out now..get out it is crashing. Bullsh*t. It is fine. If anything buy on the bottom. I will be watching it closely tomorrow and I have 12K in a cash account right now, and I may take 1/2 of that and if I find something that looks good move on it. Or not who knows.

I am investing in a contracting business in Central Oregon and expect to see some good returns off that over the next 5 to 8 years. I don't work a regular 40 hour a week job, I have a lot of different things going to create multiple income streams, diversification always helps.

I think what you guys are selling is awful advice...

But hey, It's your money :)

If I had money in the market I would liquidate it all now.... And buy back in as close to the bottom as possible. You can't time it perfect but if you can save your capital now and use it to buy in when its 20-50% lower you will have done more for your portfolio than 10 years of contributions can.

You don't have to time it perfect... and worst case you might miss out on 10% gains.... But I think there is a far greater chance that you will in fact miss out on the big losses.

Investors don't park money in a stock and just let it sit there, That is what muppets do....

And I dont say any of that directed at anyone and it is just my opinion... But riding out a $h!T storm is not a strategy... Its lack of one.

This "market" is not normal... We are way oversold. Look at the 50 year mean line and figure a fair market value in that neighborhood and you will see how far we have to go.... And dont forget the market always overshoots on the way down.

If I had money in the market I would liquidate it all now.... And buy back in as close to the bottom as possible. You can't time it perfect but if you can save your capital now and use it to buy in when its 20-50% lower you will have done more for your portfolio than 10 years of contributions can.

You don't have to time it perfect... and worst case you might miss out on 10% gains.... But I think there is a far greater chance that you will in fact miss out on the big losses.

Investors don't park money in a stock and just let it sit there, That is what muppets do....

And I dont say any of that directed at anyone and it is just my opinion... But riding out a $h!T storm is not a strategy... Its lack of one.

Part of my retirement is tied up in pensions - pensions I can't pull out of. I can redirect my investments within the pension, but can't pull out or transfer. So, some of us don't necessarily have the choice to cash out and do something differently. My pensions are 25 years in the making so far. What I can do is move money to low risk investments that will help protect what I've been building. And if I know a big crash is coming, that can help insult losses. But, to make money in the market, you have to be willing to take some risk. I've been seeing a rate of return of 8-10% on the low end to 18-20% on the high end the past few years. Interest bearing accounts, just as one example, wouldn't return near that much.

I do get where you're coming from, but some folks just don't have the option to cash out and walk away. In those cases, it's best to watch the market and know how to react if something does go sideways.

This right here. Calm down people. I have been in this market for the last 8 years. I lost a lot of money in the recession. I clawed my way back up, got into some real estate deals and reestablished our retirement funds. In January 2016 I was nervous. I had lost principle, and was considering getting out. I talked with a friend who is a lot better investor than I am and he said stay in. I did and I made every bit back that we lost, plus made another 12%. I lost some money the last couple of days, but nothing that bothers me much. I had taken 30% of my profits in the last year and bought some real estate. I am looking at 20% plus profits on that if I was to sell right now, I will probably hold on those and see if I can get another 5% of of it.

If you panic at every correction and this one was coming, we knew it was. I called my investor friend and asked him what he thought about the last couple of days. Oh he said he had looked at it, he is on the beach in Hawaii, but was pretty whatever about it. Once you get to a point and you have made well, you are not going to get hurt by a market drop. It would have to be a catastrophic market failure to hurt us at this point and I just don't see that. I have the majority of our accounts with Edward Jones and they have one hell of an alogorithim and process that has yield us 18.5 % that last year. I am staying put.

A couple guys I saw on Facebook were all Chicken Little..get out now..get out it is crashing. Bullsh*t. It is fine. If anything buy on the bottom. I will be watching it closely tomorrow and I have 12K in a cash account right now, and I may take 1/2 of that and if I find something that looks good move on it. Or not who knows.

I am investing in a contracting business in Central Oregon and expect to see some good returns off that over the next 5 to 8 years. I don't work a regular 40 hour a week job, I have a lot of different things going to create multiple income streams, diversification always helps.
no offense bro, but your investor friend is an idiot. the same people said the same thing back in 2007-2008 and most of them are now dead due to jumping off buildings...

i will bet my 7 figure life savings he will end up killing himself once he finds out that he has lost everything.

this is the COLLAPSE we all have been waiting for. they only POSTPONED the total meltdown in 2008. 2008 wasnt the total collapse. This is the one i have been waiting for.

i pet goat predicted this. also, look up economist cover of 1988.

i saw this coming years ago, and im a millennial... all of the fools who mocked me over the years are about to lose everything. i am having the laugh of my life right now.

watch the market drop like a rock tomorrow morning. it will be worse than today and friday.

my gut tells me Friday will be the worst, but i could be wrong.

you all have been warned.

only precious metals are safe....

Trying to time the market does not work out in my opinion. No matter what you try you will never get it right. I am not that smart, nor do I have the time to try and make those calls. I let people smarter than me make those calls. I have a bit more aggressive strategy for a 60 year old since I got a late start,and will hold that line for another 6 year probably.

I have sufficient income and will keep funding the IRA, and a couple of Roths as well. Getting rid of the mortgage will help out there. I have enough risk tolerance to ride out these moves, and trying to time the market and going to cash and then in and out is not going to work for me any how.

This "market" is not normal... We are way oversold. Look at the 50 year mean line and figure a fair market value in that neighborhood and you will see how far we have to go.... And dont forget the market always overshoots on the way down.

Kinda like selling some FA's that you dont have to sell.....at the bottom of the 10 year market.....Who knows what the high is?.....I dont think were are at the peak of the Dow and most likely not MOST publicly traded companies......If the DOW went 10K pts down.... did Coke's delivery trucks become worthless? their warehouses? their water purification plants? If corporations have less rope around their neck (regulatory) for hopefully the next 2-3 yrs.....who knows.....but I think this fall we'll know more.....most people aren't betting to lose indefinitely (collapse) even though some of us see that as an end game....we just maybe looking too soon into our future than what is there, even though it is a reality......eventually....

no offense bro, but your investor friend is an idiot. the same people said the same thing back in 2007-2008 and most of them are now dead due to jumping off buildings...

i will bet my 7 figure life savings he will end up killing himself once he finds out that he has lost everything.

this is the COLLAPSE we all have been waiting for. they only POSTPONED the total meltdown in 2008. 2008 wasnt the total collapse. This is the one i have been waiting for.

i saw this coming years ago, and im a millennial... all of the fools who mocked me over the years are about to lose everything. i am having the laugh of my life right now.

watch the market drop like a rock tomorrow morning. it will be worse than today and friday.

I'll take that bet....World markets (esp the US) wont end this week or next.....deal?

Trying to time the market does not work out in my opinion. No matter what you try you will never get it right. I am not that smart, nor do I have the time to try and make those calls. I let people smarter than me make those calls. I have a bit more aggressive strategy for a 60 year old since I got a late start,and will hold that line for another 6 year probably.

I have sufficient income and will keep funding the IRA, and a couple of Roths as well. Getting rid of the mortgage will help out there. I have enough risk tolerance to ride out these moves, and trying to time the market and going to cash and then in and out is not going to work for me any how.
you dont get it do you? this is the GRAND RESET. there is no 6 years.

say goodbye to retirement, pensions, 401k, checking, savings, ect.. bank holidays will happen, cash will disappear.

those "smarter people" are IDIOTS!!! they dont even know what the hell is happening. they are all braindead slaves who are following the herd.

if the market drops like a rock tomorrow, cash out 100%.

buy physical gold and silver!!!!!

So everyone should dump all their investments because a millennial who hasn't experienced decades of market fluctuations knows better than everyone else? On top of that you're ready to laugh at everyone if the market did crash.

What makes you so certain you know things that others don't? What's your experience? Background? Or are you just another follower of random people on YouTube or self-published authors that make a living convincing people to give them your money so you can learn the 'secrets' no one else knows?

I've heard this same thing before. I heard it before Y2K and watched people I know go broke following that kind of advice.

Sorry bud, I don't take life changing advice on investments from random people on the internet. I'll watch the market, listen to people with far more experience and knowledge than me and don't have a vested interest in selling me secrets to investing.

Honestly, if you want people to listen, starting conversations by insulting them, their investment choices or their investment advisors probably isn't going to win anyone to your side. Neither is making bold claims and offering no real, objective information to back it up - only bold assertions that you're in on a secret the rest of us aren't.

In my lifetime I've been through a few bear markets. Stocks have always come back. Back in 2008 I had a $70K loss in my 401(k). A lot of my co-workers sold. They said they would buy again when the market hit bottom. A lot of them are still sitting on the sidelines invested in cash. Once the market started climbing they were too timid to buy because they thought the market would drop again. And then when the market recovered they still didn't get in because now it was too high and they were afraid it would drop after they invested.

As for me, I rode it out. I got my $70K back and a whole lot more. If you are investing for your retirement which may be 20, 30 or 40 years out you have to adopt a long-term outlook on investing and not worry about short term fluctuations in the market.

I am not in the market, when I retired I saw no reason to take risk with my life's work. Ya I missed the big run up but I am still as safe as can be unless everything goes down.:)

So, I bought 1 Zillion bucks in stocks, and over the course of a year it is valued at 2 Zillion, then I see interest could go up on my now going to be non-deductible second L.A. beach home that I leveraged to buy those stocks and increase my tax deductions. As a result, I decide to sell 1/6 of my stock to pay off the loan. I plan to sell the $700k house for 1.4 million and hold the mortgage for the sucker that buys it. As its going to be necessary to sell a big block of stock all at once, I end up selling at a few points discount to move it.
The net result is; I now own 1.66 zillion in stock, I have a huge profit on the sale of an over-priced beach house, lower property taxes that are no longer above the $10k max for deducting and I'm holding a mortgage paying me 5%.

And oh yeah, and some poor working shlubs in the mid-west lose some money for their retirement because their 401k tanked a little. Seems I set off a TradingBot at some broker's office that overreacted and dumped .... no big deal.... it's just crumbs.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top