JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have been wrestling a while with a lower back injury. I need a new pair of shoes and this is boggling my mind finding something. I got some Georgia Boot "Romeos" (link below) that I thought would work, but they are terrible. I want:

- Winter quality shoe for basically going to the store, out, dealing w/rain and such.
- Step in or very easy -slip on so I don't have to stress my injured back bending and fiddling a lot. It's very difficult and painful.

I bought these thinking it would be a good solution, but they are miserable to fight on. Despite getting the correct size, I can't even get them on.

https://www.georgiaboot.com/romeo/georgia-giant-romeo-work-shoe/GR262.html

I have extraordinarily normal feet with no high instep or anything, no special needs. Anybody have a suggestion of something that would work? I keep looking and looking and find nothing.

Thanks for ideas.

Have you tried using a shoehorn? You can get them with extended handles so you don't have to bend over.

I wear romeo boots almost exclusively. I have a pair of Nicks on order (and they are hideously expensive), but will still be a while before they arrive. In the meantime, a pair of Keen are doing the job fine.

A pair of taller Wellingtons might work well for you since you basically get a big funnel to put your foot in before stepping into the sole.

A long shoehorn might be the thing, if I break them in enough. I should have thought of that.

Thanks for the idea.

I really like the romeo style as it splits the difference of being decent looking and tough. I just can't bend enough right now to wrestle these on.

How about those light boots with zippers on the sides popular decades ago.
Or maybe some ropers with circular pulls? Take off with a boot remover thingy and put on with some pull ropes through the holes.

What about some type of muck boot? Maybe something like this...

They come in other styles too including tall boots which you could probably get on without having to bend too far over. Getting them off, however, might be a different story. But they would certainly hold up to winter weather.

There's something like this from Keen and they generally make good stuff...

There's something like this but I have no idea on the quality or how easy they actually are to get on...

I think the romeos will work ok now that I used a long shoehorn to get in them, and will start breaking them in. I like the style and utility of them will be great in winter.

I probably do also need an easier slip in like l84cabo mentioned, too.

With back problems (or just getting older) a long shoehorn is a must. I have a pair of Tredsafe rubber slip-ons from Wallyworld just for banging around outside. Not stylish but buying them a size bigger and a shoehorn was the answer to getting them on easier.
And I'm starting to think Velcro might be on the next pair of New Balance walking shoes. Otherwise, it's cowboy boots for me.

I don't think you're going to break those Romeo's in enough to ever get them comfortable and easy to put on. I had a pair of the original Romeo's and as you, I struggled to get them on and off. I even cut the elastic to try to make it easier. Not to mention they have a narrow toe box and ruined my feet.
I eventually had to stop wearing them. I ended up purchasing a pair of the Romeo Giant Revamps and they were much easier to get on and off as well as have a larger toe box so they don't hurt my feet as bad.
You might look into Keen as suggested or Duluth trading.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top