JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
20210520_114256.jpg 20210520_114251.jpg

I've always been a big fan of the Buck General. Maybe someday I'll actually buy one. 631AB3C1-B95B-4AC4-9B11-559279B3CB12.jpeg
And this is my ZT 0160. Great knife, well balanced and works for everything from gutting, skinning and deboning to cutting vegetables for camp dinner. 051FC772-E6CF-4B03-930A-BE6491C77ADA.jpeg

I use my el cheapo Firebird all the time. Have multiples of them in cars and camp sets. including the original I bought when they first came out that has seen many backpacking trips. After I vetted the first, I bought the others. Great knife. Pic from internet.

View attachment 887821
That looks close to the Gerber Ultimate, except for the pommel (the Gerber has a hammer pommel):

302797_302802.jpg

Actually, looking at the youtube reviews, it is obviously a copy of the Gerber, many similar features. The Gerber is about $10-$15 more depending on where you can find it in stock, and I like the Gerber better, but to each their own.

Last Edited:
Is your G10 this knife?

I never saw this before. Interesting.

Cate

Is your G10 this knife?

I never saw this before. Interesting.

Cate
G10 is the material of many of the scales I own. Example...
https://theknifeconnection.com/tkc-g10-handle-for-esee-5-6-red-black-2x2/

That looks close to the Gerber Ultimate, except for the pommel (the Gerber has a hammer pommel):

View attachment 888549

Actually, looking at the youtube reviews, it is obviously a copy of the Gerber, many similar features. The Gerber is about $10-$15 more depending on where you can find it in stock, and I like the Gerber better, but to each their own.
Pretty sure you are correct. I've got one of the Gerbers too. Bear Grills one. Great knife.

Pretty sure you are correct. I've got one of the Gerbers too. Bear Grills one. Great knife.
Yeah, I have several of the inexpensive BG folder sheath knives (I paid $16 each) that are the same/similar pattern blade, which I prefer. Not bulletproof, but not fragile "Chinese junk" some have said they are either. Now that I am retired I have one of these on my belt most of the time.

I have given the kids Gerber Prodigys, but next time I find the Ultimate in stock under $40 I will buy a couple more of those and give them those too. I also have an LMF II - more heavy duty, but also larger and heavier - I prefer the Ultimate, then the Prodigy, then the LMF II.

My knife loadout for "survival" would be the Gerber Ultimate, the BG folder, a Cold Steel San Mai Master Hunter, a CRKT HalfAChance parang with a Morakniv camp knife and Fallkniven F1 attached to its sheath, and a Ragnar Ragweed Forge British belt axe with TItan survivor paracord wrapped around the handle.

The CS Master Hunter and Fallkniven F1 are similar in shape/use, the F1 being smaller and lighter than the MH, but with full grind blades, and not as thick as say the Ultimate, these knives are not as robust and are light for heavier chores. They are handy and very sharp though, good for game and food processing which is what I would probably use them for mostly. Being similar, one or the other could be left behind, but the F1 is light and small enough to take along just to have it.

The Ultimate would be my general purpose knife, but I would reach for the folder first unless it was a heavy duty chore. The CRKT parang is a good compromise for brush clearing - not as thick as my KaBar Kukri, but longer and a better pattern for brush - especially thinner lighter vegetation that the Kukri is too thick and heavy to swing fast to cut thru.

The British Belt Axe I have found to be a good compromise weight and size. It has a hammer pommel, a round shaft (easier to replace if it breaks). My CRKT is better at large splitting rounds, but too heavy and large once the round is split I would prefer a full sized axe for splitting large rounds and chopping anyway. Once split, the BBA is good at making kindling, and at other small chopping chores, and splitting pelvic bones on deer and elk/etc. I prefer a belt axe to a big thick long knife like the Schrade Frontier - I have a shorter Schrade of a similar pattern/thickness and I do not find it all that useful - although I am certain it is very robust - it is just too unwieldy, even in the shorter blade I have and not worth the weight penalty IMO. the BBA is heavier and larger, but much more useful in my experience/opinion.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top