JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
this sword is based on a 14th century Bastard sword developed in Germany
not a re-enactment prop, but a functional sword with a 1060 steel blade 30" long
both cutting edge and fine point, it was designed to pry open the joints in plate armor and penetrate chain mail
has a traditional wooden scabbard with leather belt frog
came with a "factory edge", but I plan to use my belt knife sharpener to put a true edge on it
legal for open carry in Portland

for use against Zombie hoards, you understand

Dillon's sword.jpg

my son doesn't have the upper body strength to swing this sword for prolonged periods of time yet
I'm building him a traditional sword training stand for him to practice with

I also found translated manual of Arms for the Bastard sword from the 15th century to download

Neat sword your son has.
I have a copy of a Norwegian Sword circa 700...so its not as new as his... :D

Something to consider with a sword swing....
You don't need a whole lot of 'Oomph" behind it...the weight of the sword does the trick here.
Not that historic swords weigh a lot...its kinda like letting the hammer do the work for you.
Andy

Is that a one-hander or a hand and a half?

Off on a tangent; I used to have a bumper sticker that read
"If they outlaw guns, can we use swords?"
A "Bastard Sword"...was meant to be used with either one or both hands.
It is another name for a Hand and Half sword...and Long Sword.
That said...the above is a great way to start an argument with sword guys....:D
Andy

Personally, I prefer the Wakizashi; decent length but not too long; fits along side a pack and has an easy draw.

I'd also like to have a Spartan sword, but not one of those made up "300" swords; those were not Spartan, those were out of someone's imagination.

As for the 'hand and a half', that is why the butt is tapered that way; so you have something to keep it from sliding out of your back hand.

I'm to old to practice with such a sword, but quite capable of coaching my son
he likes his blades
not something we advertise, but I had a custom forearm sheath made for his Gerber boot dagger
doesn't even show under his long sleeve dress shirts
and I was working up by Ft Drum and acquired one of the combat tomahawks used by the 10th Mountain in Afghanistan
that's a nasty piece of cold steel

Yeah, hawks have had a new resurgeance. Warriors have realized the benefits of such a weapon. That's why many of the 'elite' teams carry them, just not when the press is around. If the media saw our troops with hawks, they'd imagine the scene from "The Patriot", and absolutely freak out.

As for sharpening, until your son is 'competent' with swinging it around, with control, (or you have a training sword), I would not recommend sharpening it too much. SAFETY FIRST !!!

I'm to old to practice with such a sword, but quite capable of coaching my son
he likes his blades
not something we advertise, but I had a custom forearm sheath made for his Gerber boot dagger
doesn't even show under his long sleeve dress shirts
and I was working up by Ft Drum and acquired one of the combat tomahawks used by the 10th Mountain in Afghanistan
that's a nasty piece of cold steel

Yeah, hawks have had a new resurgeance. Warriors have realized the benefits of such a weapon. That's why many of the 'elite' teams carry them, just not when the press is around. If the media saw our troops with hawks, they'd imagine the scene from "The Patriot", and absolutely freak out.

As for sharpening, until your son is 'competent' with swinging it around, with control, (or you have a training sword), I would not recommend sharpening it too much. SAFETY FIRST !!!
we have very sharp kitchen knives in our lives
this is our Damascus blade Gyuto - will slice the hairs off a gnats butt

a Santoku for vegetables - slice mushrooms so thin you can see through the slices

Kyoku paring knife

and our belt knife sharpener, with leather belts to maintain them all

SAFETY FIRST

20220620_181251.jpg 20220628_085453.jpg 20221211_183522.jpg 20220705_174955.jpg

In all actuality; if you look at historical fact, the katana (Damascas style) is actually an inferior blade metal. BUT, it was declared by the emperor at the time that ALL blades be made that way. There are better ways to make a blade.

unless you have $5000 for an authentic Katana, the modern ones are also made of 1060 high carbon steel
LOL. Rrrrrright.......because the Zombies can tell the difference.

I can remember that time when.......
China had just opened to the American market. Swords that were captured in China (WW2) were offered and some could be bought for "cheap." Some of the Katanas were of the standard NCO-military issued variety. And of course, there was a variety of Made in China decorative swords. While other swords were offered for much, much, more.

Rrrrright......what do I know about collectible Japanese swords?

1670814925198.png

Aloha, Mark

PS.......BTW, ever tried a weight comparison (Katana vs Long Sword)? Yup. IMHO, weight matters. Especially when you're carrying it around all day.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top