JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
ooff i feel ya. i punched through security glass window... sideways. my one knuckle was basically hamburger. i had a small shard of glass in the top of my finger for years right between the joins where the skin was thin. eventually it finally worked its way out like a pimple. i could always feel it in there if i pressed on it slightly. my buddies mom was a OR nurse so i just haphazardly threw a ton of ointment on it made a splint to hold it for a while and didnt go to the hospital. i hate hospitals! my dad and my brother have both cut off the same finger of the same hand though so I'm paranoid about that.

man, i hated being young and dumb, now I'm just dumb. I'm much more at ease with myself.

Ive seen way too many of this type of stuff up close and personal. still better a sharp knife than a dull one, or a motorbike chain in my brothers case :s0120:
oh yeah and big surprise guess who has trigger finger like a mother now. the old dew claw was never the same. :s0062:

My husband and I do NOT own armor vests and 'stuff' like that - plate carriers. I mean NO offense to you when I say this.

With THAT said, I always carry a FIXED BLADE KNIFE on me.

Out in my yard while working or just taking my husband a cup of ice water if he is doing something outside especially in the BACK of the house with all of that land behind us - BEHIND my water rights ditch (NOT our land. LOTS and LOTS - many acres of land, brush, trees, bushes, ponds, etc. NO build zone.) that goes all of the way down, down and down to the river.

I always carry a FIXED BLADE knife (Or more than one knife sometimes.) when I travel, around town, in the woods/wilderness, camping, hiking, in a fanny pack, purse or briefcase, different brands, different styles and blade lengths depending on what I am doing and where I am going, on a good leather belt AND even a smaller one in a bathrobe pocket just for a quick check on something, etc.

For what you are talking about depending if you wear a good belt on you and depending on the BLADE LENGTH (I am NOT sure about vests and carriers since I NEVER OWNED ONE.) - I would suggest some of the below:

KA-BAR MADE IN NY fixed blade military knives.

You can get the leather handle or the black - non slip type of material handle.

The blades come in different lengths too.

I own 3 of these ^^^.

KA-BAR 1251

The # 1251 above has a shorter blade.

KA-BAR USMC 1217

KA-BAR 1211

I had to go and look at my knife models in my oak chest to be sure that I got them right for you.

~~~

I personally PREFER a Bowie style knife and some of the knives that I own can be carried EASILY on a good leather belt with NO issues.

~~~

I do carry a BUCK 113 RANGER SKINNER KNIFE on a daily basis but I do not consider that a BIG time woods/wilderness/camping/super HEAVY DUTY survival knife. Mine has the walnut handle on it not the newer handle. I do NOT carry that one on a BELT. It goes in a fanny pack in it's own compartment, in a purse, in a briefcase or in a pocket. That style is good for hunting. Disclaimer: I do not hunt.

(My husband hunts and HE has his own very specific hunting knives too.)

I have several other BUCK FIXED BLADE knives.

The Vanguard - Mine has the BLACK rubber handle.

The 119 Special - two of them.

The 102 Woodsman - classic one.

I have a couple of BUCK PAK LITE SKINNER knives too. One in ORANGE (LOL - Lord, forgive me!) if dropped and one in black. Both of them came with their own sheaths too. Built pretty nice for what they are even though I PREFER the CLASSIC styles more. Mine are several years old. My husband saw them and wanted me to get a couple at SW's several years ago so I chose those 2 knives. One gets put into a bathrobe pocket sometimes if I am out on the porch sipping coffee in the early morning.

I have several more FIXED BLADE knives but I don't want to get OFF TRACK HERE.

I would go with a shorter blade KA-BAR or the other 2 KA-BAR knives.

And if you do NOT want to show your knife to the world, you could get a shorter blade knife like some have posted here.

My husband has owned and still owns some famous brand name knives. Some of them were gifted and some were sold. But he still has some classic ones. Some Tops brand - 2 of them - fixed blade ones.

Other brand names and custom made ones too.

The famous British designer knives (FS) that were mentioned here in this thread - he had some like them, 2 famous Japanese style ones, a Nam Pilot Survival knife with the sheath/stone, etc.

He still owns the famous RUANA KNIFE made in BONNER, MT too. He gifted one, sold one and kept one. His were OLDER ones.

The RUANA SMOKE JUMPER is a classic SURVIVAL knife and it may interest you too. HIS had elk handles. All of his were older ones. He used to sell some elk horns to the original owner who is dead now too.

He stopped out to their store a few years ago and he spoke to the one son too.

Best wishes to you.

Old Lady Cate

Last Edited:
My husband and I do NOT own armor vests and 'stuff' like that - plate carriers. I mean NO offense to you when I say this.

With THAT said, I always carry a FIXED BLADE KNIFE on me.

Out in my yard while working or just taking my husband a cup of ice water if he is doing something outside especially in the BACK of the house with all of that land behind us - BEHIND my water rights ditch (NOT our land. LOTS and LOTS - many acres of land, brush, trees, bushes, ponds, etc. NO build zone.) that goes all of the way down, down and down to the river.

I always carry a FIXED BLADE knife (Or more than one knife sometimes.) when I travel, around town, in the woods/wilderness, camping, hiking, in a fanny pack, purse or briefcase, different brands, different styles and blade lengths depending on what I am doing and where I am going, on a good leather belt AND even a smaller one in a bathrobe pocket just for a quick check on something, etc.

For what you are talking about depending if you wear a good belt on you and depending on the BLADE LENGTH (I am NOT sure about vests and carriers since I NEVER OWNED ONE.) - I would suggest some of the below:

KA-BAR MADE IN NY fixed blade military knives.

You can get the leather handle or the black - non slip type of material handle.

The blades come in different lengths too.

I own 3 of these ^^^.

KA-BAR 1251

The # 1251 above has a shorter blade.

KA-BAR USMC 1217

KA-BAR 1211

I had to go and look at my knife models in my oak chest to be sure that I got them right for you.

~~~

I personally PREFER a Bowie style knife and some of the knives that I own can be carried EASILY on a good leather belt with NO issues.

~~~

I do carry a BUCK 113 RANGER SKINNER KNIFE on a daily basis but I do not consider that a BIG time woods/wilderness/camping/super HEAVY DUTY survival knife. Mine has the walnut handle on it not the newer handle. I do NOT carry that one on a BELT. It goes in a fanny pack in it's own compartment, in a purse, in a briefcase or in a pocket. That style is good for hunting. Disclaimer: I do not hunt.

(My husband hunts and HE has his own very specific hunting knives too.)

I have several other BUCK FIXED BLADE knives.

The Vanguard - Mine has the BLACK rubber handle.

The 119 Special - two of them.

The 102 Woodsman - classic one.

I have a couple of BUCK PAK LITE SKINNER knives too. One in ORANGE (LOL - Lord, forgive me!) if dropped and one in black. Both of them came with their own sheaths too. Built pretty nice for what they are even though I PREFER the CLASSIC styles more. Mine are several years old. My husband saw them and wanted me to get a couple at SW's several years ago so I chose those 2 knives. One gets put into a bathrobe pocket sometimes if I am out on the porch sipping coffee in the early morning.

I have several more FIXED BLADE knives but I don't want to get OFF TRACK HERE.

I would go with a shorter blade KA-BAR or the other 2 KA-BAR knives.

And if you do NOT want to show your knife to the world, you could get a shorter blade knife like some have posted here.

My husband has owned and still owns some famous brand name knives. Some of them were gifted and some were sold. But he still has some classic ones. Some Tops brand - 2 of them - fixed blade ones.

Other brand names and custom made ones too.

The famous British designer knives (FS) that were mentioned here in this thread - he had some like them, 2 famous Japanese style ones, a Nam Pilot Survival knife with the sheath/stone, etc.

He still owns the famous RUANA KNIFE made in BONNER, MT too. He gifted one, sold one and kept one. His were OLDER ones.

The RUANA SMOKE JUMPER is a classic SURVIVAL knife and it may interest you too. HIS had elk handles. All of his were older ones. He used to sell some elk horns to the original owner who is dead now too.

He stopped out to their store a few years ago and he spoke to the one son too.

Best wishes to you.

Old Lady Cate

PS:

The GROHMANN - Made in Canada fixed blade knife is one that my husband and I think highly about too. But I do not know if it is something that would interest you.

ORIGINAL DESIGN ^^^.

My husband gave me this sweet knife. I can handle it easily AND the leather sheath is very nice. It is comfortable worn on a belt or if you pack it in something else. It is several years old and he bought it NIB.

I think that the KA-BAR MADE IN NEW YORK knives would still be what you are looking for more.

Old Lady Cate

Hey I rarely LARP, it's mainly just to fit in with the "cool kids" like flannel himself, or Mr daddy (why wont he ever return my phone calls.
i always wanted one. i had soft armor for a few years a while back but have always been buy curios so with all the cr*p sliding downhill lately i figured it was a good excuse to buy a rain hat.

and no offense taken, I very, very rarely get offended if ever.

BTW, i was incorrect not that anyone cares. but the knife i referenced i beleive twice is NOT a ranger 9 or whatever its a old "ready detachment series" or RDS-9 before Ontario bought them out. its a cheap beater, great for the price. terrible sheath! they should actually charge more to buy it without the sheath its soo bad.

1651922441259.png
oh yeah i forgot about these ulu's the tactical kitchen push knife, we can call it the oo-you, short for screw you! now i just need one of them salad shooters and maybe a slap chop and ill be ready for war!

Hey I rarely LARP, it's mainly just to fit in with the "cool kids" like flannel himself, or Mr daddy (why wont he ever return my phone calls.
i always wanted one. i had soft armor for a few years a while back but have always been buy curios so with all the cr*p sliding downhill lately i figured it was a good excuse to buy a rain hat.

and no offense taken, I very, very rarely get offended if ever.
I don't own any plate carriers/armor. Not that it's a bad idea; I just never want to wear that sh!t again after being in the military. Hahaha. With that being said I do carry a fixed blade on my "range belt" as well as on my person as part of my daily carry.

C09B4F87-987C-46A9-AD60-A57E11EC40B0.jpeg

Last Edited:
I don't know the answer to your Q but these spyderco matriarch 2 seem like they would be pretty effective. I guess it depends on how you are going to use it. Some might prefer a spear tip or dagger ala sikes-fairburn knife.

Automatic deployment when you pull from pocket and angles of blade plus serrations. Not a fixed blade though.

7A9304EE-7913-43BC-80A0-876F41C5BBA9.jpeg

I've noticed there are about 100 gazillion different types of Bowie and daggers out there. No idea how to pick one, Fe

Or you could always go with a 4.75" blade automatic folding Bowie. :p
D633728A-A95C-4CF9-8079-C0AAB8C742BC.png

F1A200B3-E2C8-4436-93D0-549D46BC3AFF.png

Last Edited:
PS:

The GROHMANN - Made in Canada fixed blade knife is one that my husband and I think highly about too. But I do not know if it is something that would interest you.

ORIGINAL DESIGN ^^^.

My husband gave me this sweet knife. I can handle it easily AND the leather sheath is very nice. It is comfortable worn on a belt or if you pack it in something else. It is several years old and he bought it NIB.

I think that the KA-BAR MADE IN NEW YORK knives would still be what you are looking for more.

Old Lady Cate
I was not familiar with the knife you referenced from Grohmann / D.H. Russell so I looked it up, it has an unusual and interesting shape to it. The website mentions cleaning small to midsize hunting game and processing waterfowl and game-birds, the design does seem well suited for those tasks...
That might be on my short-list next time I give myself a reward... Father's Day isn't too far away, I may start dropping hints to my wife.

I was not familiar with the knife you referenced from Grohmann / D.H. Russell so I looked it up, it has an unusual and interesting shape to it. The website mentions cleaning small to midsize hunting game and processing waterfowl and game-birds, the design does seem well suited for those tasks...
That might be on my short-list next time I give myself a reward... Father's Day isn't too far away, I may start dropping hints to my wife.
Hello,

Happy Father's Day to you early!

My husband bought the knife here in the USA. He bought 3 specific knives from our local MT FFL - gun dealer. They special ordered them for him. So he got the Canadian knife from them.

I always buy my knives IN PERSON. I hold them, look at them and see how they fit my hand. He usually does that too. But no one had the 3 knives that he wanted years ago around here.

That Canadian company sells some other knives that my husband likes too.

Right now, he said that IF and WHEN he did buy anything new KNIFE WISE, he would gift and/or sell a couple of more knives since he has been scaling down in ALL of HIS belongings from a to z.

Not only in firearms. And he already did this with some of his knives too.

Me too. Especially when I stopped using folding knives - pocket knives and went straight to using ONLY fixed blade knives due to my hands.

I really love that knife, good handle, good GRIP and I LOVE the sheath. It is easy for me to get to the knife, the leather is nice and the hole opening goes over the 'button' like closure very easily. IT is secure but easy to open up.

ADDED MORE here:

It looks like they may have changed the leather sheath design compared to what I own. I am NOT positive though. Mine has a FLAP and a button like closure with the hole AND with the BELT loop. This looks a wee bit different and I can't see the FRONT and the BACK in the pictures on their web site. I looked AGAIN. Mine must be the ARMY overlap style. I just looked at the OPTIONS for the sheath. Sorry about that!

Take care.

Cate

Last Edited:
I don't know the answer to your Q but these spyderco matriarch 2 seem like they would be pretty effective. I guess it depends on how you are going to use it. Some might prefer a spear tip or dagger ala sikes-fairburn knife.

Automatic deployment when you pull from pocket and angles of blade plus serrations. Not a fixed blade though.

View attachment 1194208

I've noticed there are about 100 gazillion different types of Bowie and daggers out there. No idea how to pick one, Fe

Or you could always go with a 4.75" blade automatic folding Bowie. :p
View attachment 1194293

View attachment 1194264
I really like that street Bowie. It's only 4 oz which is reasonable, looks good for light bushcraft, and won't slip on your hand either but without a huge pommel. It's very similar to a knife I made for myself and I might pick it up soon. List price is only $120

I'm still trying to figure out why a carrier needs a fighting knife when it has all those airplanes and a support group with guns 'n missiles 'n chit?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top