JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
All right gentlemen (and I'm sure a Lady or twain), you've gotten me to pick up a Holt's 10-pack Sampler and dip my toes back into the weed. As a relative beginner, which one do I start with?

IMG_20200423_170835834.jpg

The Macanudo ;)
I will give it a shot tomorrow; any tips for keeping these relatively fresh until I get around to burning one? I've been watching all the gizmos and gadgetry for keeping humidity stable, etc. and thinking I need *another* expensive hobby, but until/unless I get a cedar-lined teak humidor made by pixies, can I toss a damp scrap of something in the bag for a few days?

I will give it a shot tomorrow; any tips for keeping these relatively fresh until I get around to burning one? I've been watching all the gizmos and gadgetry for keeping humidity stable, etc. and thinking I need *another* expensive hobby, but until/unless I get a cedar-lined teak humidor made by pixies, can I toss a damp scrap of something in the bag for a few days?

just put them in a sealable Tupperware and they will be fine for a good while. Try not to go too big and you should not have to worry about humidity.

if you think you need it just don't get any water on the cigars or cellophane

All right gentlemen (and I'm sure a Lady or twain), you've gotten me to pick up a Holt's 10-pack Sampler and dip my toes back into the weed. As a relative beginner, which one do I start with?

View attachment 688061
Agree with Joe, I would go mildest to fullest and Macanudo is the mildest of that group. Montechristo platinum is probably the next mildest. Punch and R&Y 1875 are kinda medium. Rocky Patel maduro and Nub are more of a medium full. Cain and la Gloria wavell are more full bodied (and Cain has a heck of a kick so I wouldn't smoke that one on an empty stomach). Oliva and h upman are Cameroon wrapper so they have a different taste (I guess technically nub does also but the Cameroon taste is less imo).

Imo there is not a bad cigar in that bunch and some are really excellent. Many samplers have a couple good ones, some ok ones, and some real junk as fillers but this one is not like those. Of course everyone has different tastes and for me the Oliva doesn't have a a taste profile I like but the next person might like it a lot.

Last Edited:
Tried a kristoff connecticut today

Summ: score 8.2/10 If u want to try a highest end quality dominican connecticut shade type cigar, this is one to try. Construction and performance are flawless. But less flavor than some others in this category imo (Fe macanudo gold, rp vintage 1999 conn (almond)). I like better than the griffins, Davidoff 3x3 tubo, hc connecticut, and about the same as macanudo cafe, Mac inspirado white. For medium to full body preference poeple I would skip it and go for the many more full bodied kristoffs. Someday it would be fun to compare this head-2-head with a $20 Davidoff. Have to say I'm very impressed with quality of the 2 kristoffs I've tried. have 3 more medium bodied ones in humidor yet to try.
- Bitterness: 1, 2, 2-3
- Pepper: 3-4, 3, 3
- Tongue bite/harshness: 3-4, 2, 2 slight tongue bite from pepper only, no harshness at all
- Sour: 1, 2, 3
- Body: 3-4, 3, 4
- Strength: 2, 2, 2
- Flavor: 2-3 charred oak, 3-4 more flavors in 2nd Fe charred nut (almond), 3-5 almond & leather more dry than sweet overall
- Aroma: 3-4, 4-5, 5 charred nut
- Smoke: very high
- Firmness: medium/normal pack
- Draw: absolutely perfect draw. similar to the kristoff maduro I had
- Presence: 3 (due to pepper)
- burn/construction: exquisite construction, very slow burn, no touch ups or re-lights
- Price I think around $4-5 on sale
Pigtail
69D423D4-D505-4F30-8072-36BAC9919D29.jpeg
closed foot
F0457185-2B59-4F10-B300-FD4CB8292FE2.jpeg
7533DA47-A2B2-4EC1-9C4F-46FCD9A1D997.jpeg

Last Edited:
Tried a Kristoff original criollo today

Summ: score: 9.3/10 very smooth, slightly sweet, many subtle flavors medium body cigar. "Cubanesque" oily Nicaraguan Habano wrapper. The 3 kristoffs I've smoked so far feel like an ultra-premium in your hand from a construction standpoint. First third flavor and body in line with Macanudo icon, Mac gold, montechristo platinum but stronger flavors in 2nd third and strong flavor in final third. No bitterness at all which I appreciate. Might be too mild for full body preference but it is remarkably smooth. Smooth is prob first word I would use to describe this cigar. I like kristoff kristianna maduro a bit more but this is very close. A top 5 cigar for me.
- Bitterness: 0, 0, 0
- Pepper: 1-2, 1-2, 1-2
- Tongue bite/harshness: 0, 0, 0
- Sour: 0, 0, 0
- Body: 5-6, 6, 6
- Strength: 1, 2, 3-4
- Flavor: 5, 7-8, 9-10 honey (mainly at first), milk chocolate, leather (esp in 2nd third), almond, bit of cedar, sweet not dry. More of sweet desert flavors not earthy
- Aroma: 5, 7-8, 9-10 medium strong at first but stronger as u go, milk chocolate kind of like freshly made chocolate pudding, a bit of aged tobacco, leather, some type of nut maybe almond.
- Smoke: normal
- Firmness: medium
- Draw: a little tighter than ideal
- Presence: 1-2, 2-3, 3
- burn/construction: excellent burn. Very cool and slow burning. Excellent construction. Beautiful oily wrapper very closely resembling Cuban cohiba imo except darker. Stacked white ash. No touch ups or relights
- Price $4-$5
54CEE046-4E2E-4027-BE05-55BF8409071F.jpeg
89F95DED-3E06-41C3-B946-71B9D0FC755E.jpeg
C27B4F4E-2AA9-4A15-9564-7C0CE9EA5D6B.jpeg

Last Edited:
Lost my buddy and best friend of 17 years yesterday.

We named him Wicket so a Diesel Wicked seemed appropriate to have after we got back from the vet. (It's also easily in my top 5 cigars).

5A3555D8-11D5-48A7-9152-08C08CD6DD9D.jpeg AACDEACE-2A59-4397-8B5E-01124F0EEA48.jpeg

This afternoon I'm starting with a 5 Vegas Gold Maduro of which I only have 5 of and you can't order them anymore unless they come with samplers. It's been very good so far and a 5/5.

Already planned on chasing it with an Obsidian Belacaso cuz it's a nice day out, the wife's busy with work and I got nothing better to do then sit, enjoy and reminisce.

F0928590-F5E3-4811-A298-5E161B5AD43E.jpeg

Whilst in town for supplies, I couldn't help but pickup a few sticks from the tobacconist. Went with an Arturo Fuente, Tabak, and Rocky Patel. And continuing the cigar and firearm theme, why not a Rocky Island. :s0112:

rocky.jpg

Well, the Acid Kuba Kuba's seem to have grown on me a lot.

Started with the Candela today and had 2 different Maduro's on deck for after.

Finished the Candela and took the 2 Maduro's back and exchanged it for an original Kuba Kuba.

Then took a short drive to a nice trail along a wildlife preserve to do some walking around that wasn't just in the neighborhood. Grabbed an Arganese Habano on the chance the wind wouldn't be right and prepared to have to toss it if my wife was getting face fulls of smoke (she's not a fan despite supporting my interest in cigars lol) but luck was on my side and it was down to the very nub by the time we got back to the car.

Not sure if it's just people these days, the fact I had a cigar in hand (I'm very mindful to not draw on it or blow smoke anywhere near people going the opposite way) or that I was wearing a hunter camo shirt but people stayed well alway from us and wouldn't make eye contact or even share a smile (with 2 or 3 exceptions and one of those guys had a missy oak sweatshirt lol).

Had a very nice time getting out with my bride though so it was a win overall.

Well @asbtg, how was the Macanudo or did you jump into one of those others yet?

Inquiring (and bored) minds want to know:D
I can report that I have personally gone through 3 so far; the Mac is a little one dimensional to my palate. Lots of toasted bread and that's all I get. I really liked the Punch Classico-- very mellow all through. The h upmann Vintage Cameroon wrapped one was different and I'm going to look for more. Looking forward to the Oliva as a friend recommended them personally. Got an 8-pack Oliva sampler from Holt's that I'm excited to try. I'm finding I like darker, oilier flavors, much as I prefer dark coffee and chocolate. Maybe my palate is shot, but I'm still looking for those flavors people seem to locate in things like these. To me they all taste like coffee, chocolate and cigars. I'm not getting the toasted coconut, cocoa nib and melon or whatever. Does that come with time and familiarity?

Whilst in town for supplies, I couldn't help but pickup a few sticks from the tobacconist. Went with an Arturo Fuente, Tabak, and Rocky Patel. And continuing the cigar and firearm theme, why not a Rocky Island. :s0112:

View attachment 689536
Looks like a fine pairing! I am still kicking myself that I traded off my RIA 2011 (though the Henry Big Boy is a hell of a lot of cool gun!); it was way more accurate than anything I've shot before or since. I put a custom trigger, bushing and guide rod into it and it would put a hole anywhere the laser pointed out to 20 yards (limit of my local range). Bullseyes got to be boring to shoot. Best made gun to price ratio I've ever found!

I can report that I have personally gone through 3 so far; the Mac is a little one dimensional to my palate. Lots of toasted bread and that's all I get. I really liked the Punch Classico-- very mellow all through. The h upmann Vintage Cameroon wrapped one was different and I'm going to look for more. Looking forward to the Oliva as a friend recommended them personally. Got an 8-pack Oliva sampler from Holt's that I'm excited to try. I'm finding I like darker, oilier flavors, much as I prefer dark coffee and chocolate. Maybe my palate is shot, but I'm still looking for those flavors people seem to locate in things like these. To me they all taste like coffee, chocolate and cigars. I'm not getting the toasted coconut, cocoa nib and melon or whatever. Does that come with time and familiarity?

I out grew lighter cigars almost immediately and have preferred the stronger bodied ones since.

If you like dark beers, deep red wines or just stronger flavors in general you'll most likely like stronger bodied cigars (that's what I was told when I was quickly getting disinterested in lighter stuff).

I think improving your palette takes time and some effort - it has for me at least. Honestly though, if I enjoy a cigar and can't put my finger on exactly what the flavors are I still think it's a good cigar. Those Acid Kuba Kuba's are a perfect example, I couldn't tell you what the flavors are - only that they smell floral and I really like them.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top