JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Back When I was doing transfers I would have never dreamed of treating customers like that .

I would also hang onto the guns till BGC came back

But Times are a changing

I was treated very badly at a Pawn shop doing a buyer a favor thank god those days are gone

I forgot to mention at Capital I had to give two sets of thumb prints. Never had that happen before. It took almost 1/2 hour today at Ticklickers because there were 2 guys in front of me. They processed 3 transactions in 1/4 of the time it took for 1 at Capital. Have to go back in 6 or 7 days to pick it up. Folks are still buying guns!

I forgot to mention at Capital I had to give two sets of thumb prints. Never had that happen before. It took almost 1/2 hour today at Ticklickers because there were 2 guys in front of me. They processed 3 transactions in 1/4 of the time it took for 1 at Capital. Have to go back in 6 or 7 days to pick it up. Folks are still buying guns!
Darn sorry to hear you didnt get an instant approval!

Just completed the worst FFL transfer ever. I purchased some guns from a member a couple weeks ago. He was coming a substantial distance to my town on a Wednesday which is my FFL dealers day off. My dealer got called away at the last minute and the seller said even though it would cost more let's find another FFL so I won't have to make an extra trip.
We went to Capital Pawn in Albany. After about an hour of them entering information into the computer, including taking selfies of themselves holding the guns, they asked me how I was going to pay. Red flag should have warned me. I said don't I need to fill out the form? They wanted paid before I completed the form. After about an hour and a half, taking the rifles out of the cases 3 times because they needed to check something I asked if we were done. Of course the background check wasn't going through for about a week.
Then they told us the process. The seller has to take the guns back home. When we call that the guns are clear you both come back and we will complete the transaction. We explained that we wanted to leave the guns there. They said they weren't insured for that. We explained the travel situation and they could not change their policy. We wanted to cancel the the transaction which they said they would but we wouldn't get our money back because they had time involved.
Seller was very gracious and said he would drive back up. They called and all was cleared. Met back up. We stood at the counter for 15 or 20 minutes while employees walked right by us. Finally a lady on the other side of the store hollered and asked if we had been helped. They again needed all the guns to recheck serial numbers. They had entered one model numbers wrong and initially said we would have to redue the check.
They finally concluded that everything was good except they would have to run the one gun to be sure it wasn't stolen. Another 15 minutes.

Been to dozens of gun stores and done too many background checks, but never an experience like this. Any of ya'll done checks at a Capital Pawn? Just wondering if they are all like this...well over 2 hour process.
Rant over😁
I have said a number of times that most FFLs do NOT want to hold the guns overnight. It is best to check if you expect this service and/or the seller is traveling a distance and/or the BGC might take some time.

In my experience, most of those conditions are rare. I usually am approved instantly, and most involved parties are local, or close to it.

Yea selfies with someone else's gun is just bizarre. Wonder if they put it on social media and brag it's their gun or something?
So someone took a photo (selfie no less) that could capture a serial number (cell phone MP are quite high now) of someone else's gun? Deal breaker. I know the information is recorded in an official record, but having the information on someone else's phone? My one pawn shop experience (not there) was professional. They entered the dead-to-me list.

Looks like the moral of the story is to know your chosen FFLs policies and fees before jumping in with both feet.
And both parties of the sale need to be informed of those policies/fees.
With many FFLs not wanting to hold private sale firearms during the required "hold period" it can be very inconvenient to do an out of town sale.
It's getting to the point that an "in town" sale is getting pretty darn inconvenient.
In my experience, most of those conditions are rare. I usually am approved instantly, and most involved parties are local, or close to it.
Just curious, when was the last time you went thru the BGC and bought a gun.? Until about a year or so ago I was instant on all but 2 guns in the last 20+ years. There hasn't been one gun in the last year that was instant.

June 3rd, 2023
After looking at your date I started second guessing myself on when I started getting delays.
Prior to November of 2023, I hadn't bought a gun since 2021. Prior to that delay I'd only had two since 1999, a small percentage of the guns purchased at an FFL.
Including the November purchase I've acquired 3 guns. All delayed. One was one day, one was two, the other was 3 or 4 days...

Did I just give you an excuse to go test the system? :D

edit: between late 2020 and 2021 I purchased several (6?) guns. One was one of the previously mentioned delays and was an out of state purchase.

After looking at your date I started second guessing myself on when I started getting delays.
Prior to November of 2023, I hadn't bought a gun since 2021. Prior to that delay I'd only had two since 1999, a small percentage of the guns purchased at an FFL.
Including the November purchase I've acquired 3 guns. All delayed. One was one day, one was two, the other was 3 or 4 days...
By "delay" I assume you mean the system had a long queue - not that the status of your BGC came back "delayed".

Did I just give you an excuse to go test the system? :D
I have a number of excuses for NOT buying guns:

1) I am on a limited income. I simply do not have the income to spend on much of anything anymore now that I am retired. Also, my cash on hand has hit a point far below my preferred minimum. I have a decent stash of $ in my IRAs, but just in the past 3 weeks the stock market has reduced that stash back to what it was at the beginning of the year and my living expenses are such that I am now having to pull a little bit from it every month - so I am being careful about discretionary spending.

2) I pretty much have the guns (and ammo) I need or want (mostly). I need to spend $ on accessories and mods to what I have. Optics, holsters, cases, parts, etc.

3) I need to get out and do shooting instead of buying.

4) I want to do some overseas travel before I can't (due to health).

I do check classifieds here every morning. But everything I have bought here and elsewhere has not been a firearm since June. I bought a LOT of mags.

By "delay" I assume you mean the system had a long queue - not that the status of your BGC came back "delayed".
No, if I would get tossed into a que, it was very short. All three of the last purchases were a "Delay" although the one at Tigard Pawn is questionable. Before the paperwork was turned in I was told I would have to come back to get the gun another day...

No, if I would get tossed into a que, it was very short. All three of the last purchases were a "Delay" although the one at Tigard Pawn is questionable. Before the paperwork was turned in I was told I would have to come back to get the gun another day...
Well then - a "delay" status from NICS is different. It seems to me that there is something going on with your records somewhere - maybe someone else with the same name has a no-go status?

My full name is extremely unique, especially my middle name (a family name that is itself very unique). Combine that with my SSN and my gender (I am male, but the spelling of my first name is usually used by females, the male spelling version is shorter and different), and there is no one in the USA that I know of with that name. So unless I get put into a queue, I get instant approvals.

Without going into details, my name is fairly unique. I do have a cousin with the same first initial and last name that may be causing me grief, but his felony was 20+ years ago...

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top