JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Tattoos , it seems to me are a personal form of expression.
If you like them , then get one , if not then then don't.
I do think that having a tattoo can affect your social interactions or job outlook, due to peoples perceptions or notions about tattoos.
Like anything else , feel free to do it , just be prepared for both reactions good or bad.
I like the long , worldwide history of tattoo art.

All that said , I may be talking out of my A** , 'cause I do not have any tattoos LOL.
Andy

Well so far the level 10 pain has been:

Around my nipple (that's as exotic as it gets lol)

Anything without "meat", elbow, wrist, inner elbow, collar bone and finger all hurt the worst.

Long straight lines hurt more to me then shading or color although if they spend a lot of time in one place it can get real raw.

They have great (so I hear) creams out that are basically a topical anesthetic and I hear it greatly reduces the pain. I'm only doing this once per body part so I figure the pain is just a part of the process and memory.

Some sessions are so painful they seem to take forever and others could go on and on and it wouldn't bother me too much.

I will say this, purposefully sitting and Recieving that level of pain without moving and then going back for more has changed my outlook on pain all together. I thought and have been told I have an abnormally high threshold for pain but if 10 was the worst I've had from ink then I had only hit a 7-8 before, and that was going down on the pavement with a motorcycle.

The endophins and adrenaline that hit you all at once is one of the best rushes I've ever had in my life of thrill seeking though.

IF anyone's ever curious, you can get "needled" without ink so you can feel what it is like without having a permemant momento.

Worst part for me was the shin. The artist had to adjust the needle depth after his first couple of passes. He said when I die and decompose I could very well have ink in my shin bone. Other than that I compare the feeling to a tiny cheese grater being dragged continuously along one spot at a time.

I can only say, in today's world, it seems like not having tattoos is the new tattoo. However, with all the stupid discrimination law out there, I find it entertaining when you see some guy or gal with face tattoos suing because they were not hired on tv.

Tattoos , it seems to me are a personal form of expression.
If you like them , then get one , if not then then don't.
I do think that having a tattoo can affect your social interactions or job outlook, due to peoples perceptions or notions about tattoos.
Like anything else , feel free to do it , just be prepared for both reactions good or bad.
I like the long , worldwide history of tattoo art.

All that said , I may be talking out of my A** , 'cause I do not have any tattoos LOL.
Andy

Nah, that's pretty spot on.

I made the decision to extend my sleeve onto my hand (@36 years old) because I do not ever plan to have another white collar job - it would most likely affect my chances of getting that kind of job.

Blue collar work is getting much more accepting of tatts from what I can tell but you never know what the person doing the interview will think.

Social interactions have also been affected - if I don't want to be treated like a gangster at my home range then I have to show up with long sleeves, preferably hunting camo.

People with tats will either ask about it or try to look at it without being to obtrusive - sideways glances etc.

Pretty much everyone who only sees the elbow down assumes that the tail is that of a Koi fish so they only know it's a dragon if they ask to see the whole thing or seem like nice folks that seem interested and then I'll show them a peek.

Like I said before, I'm already a long sleeve shirt wearing person 90% of the year so a lot of people never know I have ink (most of my shirts are long enough in the sleeve that it takes very little effort to completely cover what goes on to my hand if I choose).

I've always been the boat that goes straight down the sidewalk and others generally make way long before I have a chance to step aside so tatts haven't changed that part of my life:D.

My wife and daughter walk right behind me at malls and crowded shopping areas like 2 skiers hiding in my wake lol. (They get trampled if I walk behind them so it's just not worth it).

I am Very glad I didnt make these disisions when I was in the 18-26 year range and do not advocate or encourage young people to get inked. Instead I try to encourage them to take a few years and really think about what they want - I figure it's like marriage, if you can't wait at least a year from getting engaged then you probably shouldn't do it at all...

I am also thankful I missed the gauged ear fad. I have 3 piercings in each ear, 2 on the lobe and one up top but haven't worn ear rings in years - it was such a pain when I was riding a motorcycle with the helmet that I took them out and then lost a couple and just never bought another set.

Worst part for me was the shin. The artist had to adjust the needle depth after his first couple of passes. He said when I die and decompose I could very well have ink in my shin bone. Other than that I compare the feeling to a tiny cheese grater being dragged continuously along one spot at a time.

I can only say, in today's world, it seems like not having tattoos is the new tattoo. However, with all the stupid discrimination law out there, I find it entertaining when you see some guy or gal with face tattoos suing because they were not hired on tv.

That's shin sounds like it would be excruciating!

And yes, seems like way more people have tattoos then 10 or 15 years ago.

There is a gal at a local business that has what I assume/hope is a 3D lipstick pic with a shadow to make it look like it is hovering behind her ear.

What it really looks like though is a male dogs member when the mood strikes though:eek::confused:

When my daughter turned 18 she got the typical butterfly on her lower back. I didn't like her doing that. Her little brother told her she was going to h3ll...now he is covered in ink and a well known artist.

I've just never found a reason to get one. Never found a reason to express what is important to me by putting it on my skin. That could change though...one never knows.

What ever turns your crank.I find them interesting.
I'm Tat less, but my daughter has a couple.:rolleyes:
Had some when I was younger, but they all washed off.:(
Now I have enough scar tissue on my body to remind me of things I've done.:eek:

Lets give tattoo's there real weight.

How many commitments in your life will make an impact for more than five years?
Basically the length of time it takes to pay off a car.

Marriage/kids?
A house payment?

You will be held accountable for those tattoos the rest of your life.
So choose wisely. And consider the weight of that choice.

Now for contrast. Here are some commitments that were five years or less.

My time in the Army.
My years in high school.
The twelve or so new cars I bought.
All the girls I dated but didn't marry. [And One I did.] :D
Several great jobs.
Cancer and five years follow up.

The list goes on and on.
But your Tattoo trumps them all. ;)

Lets give tattoo's there real weight.

How many commitments in your life will make an impact for more than five years?
Basically the length of time it takes to pay off a car.

Marriage/kids?
A house payment?

You will be held accountable for those tattoos the rest of your life.
So choose wisely. And consider the weight of that choice.

Now for contrast. Here are some commitments that were five years or less.

My time in the Army.
My years in high school.
The twelve or so new cars I bought.
All the girls I dated but didn't marry. [And One I did.] :D
Several great jobs.
Cancer and five years follow up.

The list goes on and on.
But your Tattoo trumps them all. ;)

That post is why I do not encourage or advocate anyone under 30 getting ink. Especially large pieces like mine - my body kept growing until I was 25ish and my buddy says that a lot of people that get ink early end up with it warped.

I have gained some and lost some weight slowly since having mine done and it hasn't changed anything.

I consider myself VERY lucky because I wake up every day ,still after a few years, and think "man I love my art".

Funny how it's "ON" you for awhile and then all of a sudden it "is" you. Kind of a surreal experience for me.

I was thinking something' more like this...since I like cats :)

Cat_Ass_Navel_Tattoo_fullsize.jpg

reminds me of the famous Sailer Jerry tattoo

90735f1aa1055c6ba127d4fc46ce9e34_zpso1bvchid.jpg

Years ago, my sister got several stars and the planet Venus tattooed on her lower back. I thought it was pretty tacky at the time, but she was smug about why she did it so I let up on her.

Now (Many years later), I asked her about the tattoos and whether she had any regrets. "No.", she said. The art work was something she still liked.

So I asked her...

"After 30 years, are the stars still next to Venus or are they now circling Uranus?"

Years ago, my sister got several stars and the planet Venus tattooed on her lower back. I thought it was pretty tacky at the time, but she was smug about why she did it so I let up on her.

Now (Many years later), I asked her about the tattoos and whether she had any regrets. "No.", she said. The art work was something she still liked.

So I asked her...

"After 30 years, are the stars still next to Venus or are they now circling Uranus?"

:s0066:

I was considering a tattoo at one point and planned on a shirtless summer week at Sunriver to "test-drive" one before committing. A lifelong rock/blues guitarist, I had my nephew draw a big simple musical note on my shoulder with a black sharpie so I could check it out in the mirror, get some pics and ask friends/family what they thought.

My GF got there a couple days later and we went out to the pool. She took one look and said, "What's with the golf flag?"

Scrub, scrub, scrub, scrub...

Funny tidbit:

My tattooed arm heats up in the sun noticeably faster when I'm in a pool or without a shirt.

I'm sure it's all the black but still kinda weird to deal with.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top