JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Am I a dick? Am I being selfish for saying I don't wanna go?
Those are really two separate questions that likely have nothing to do with each other. :D

You, however, are NOT a dick for not going. Stand your ground on that. Too much of life is spent saying, "yes" to crap that you don't want to do. Especially family crap.

And don't get me wrong. Family is important and you should support reasonable family events with the CLOSE family that is important to you when it is feasible and reasonable. Spending $3K on a wedding trip for someone who is not in your immediate life is a pretty big ask. And especially in these very expensive times, regardless of your financial sitch.

Send your regrets and let them know you won't be able to make it. If you really feel guilty...you shouldn't....but send them $100 Home Depot gift card or something off their registry.

You can't put a price on good family relations. Just kidding, of course you can and it's waaaay less than $3000. If they're well-meaning, they won't mind you bailing. If they're being selfish, you won't mind them being upset. It's win-win. Just notify them right away so they can have the best chance at filling empty seats.

Which one of the happy couple is family? Claim first rights with the other or refuse to attend. Say it's an old family tradition of cousins. Be creatively angry if they balk.
You're making one critical assumption there. It could be dangreous...

1675965606954.png

And to the OP. I would not go, but then I would also be ready to accept the fallout.

The interwebz has validated your gut feeling. Proceed with your plan. Raise a glass on that day and text a pic to the happy couple. Or, tell them that you donated a goat to the less fortunate, in their names. Done.

The interwebz has validated your gut feeling. Proceed with your plan. Raise a glass on that day and text a pic to the happy couple. Or, tell them that you donated a goat to the less fortunate, in their names. Done.

Man this is cool! I love goats. If I had some property a little more rural, I'd have a couple of goats.

Got a last minute wedding invite from a cousin who I'm not really close with and know that they couldn't care less if I was there or not. I'm getting married next summer and wasn't considering inviting them because I assumed they could care less.

Anways im getting slack from my folks for saying I don't want to go.

Here's the deal tho. They're Californians. They're also the type of ppl that want a wedding they can't afford in an area they and their guests can't afford. My parents are literally not able to afford to go to this wedding but they're gonna go either way. I said F that. I'm not gonna spend 3k in flights and hotels to maybe see the cousin for 10 seconds and say congrats.

But as I said, I'm getting slack for it. Am I a total dick for thinking it's not worth it?

Me and the fiance are on a big savings kick and we've added another 6 figures to our savings account in the last 3.5 years and we are super conservative with our spending. These people haven't reached out to us in 3+ years but now we are being pressured to come to their wedding.

Am I a dick? Am I being selfish for saying I don't wanna go?
Well...what'd ya decide to do?

Your parents will get over it.

Dropping 3k for someone you're not even close with is stupid. If your parents are concerned about keeping up appearances, well they are doing that by attending it themselves.

I was in the same boat, haven't heard from this cousin in over 15 years and suddenly invited to her wedding. I figured 15 years passed, what does it matter now? Haven't reach out since and life has gone on.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews