JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Would you perform a tactical reload during a pause in a gunfight?

• Yes, I would retain the partial mag in a pocket or holder and insert a fresh mag.

Votes: 25 71.4%
  • No, I would dump a partial mag on the ground and get ready to fight again.

Votes: 10 28.6%

• Total voters
I think they are important, but should probably be at the bottom of the training checklist.

Something ordered like:

Draw from concealment -one hand/two hand

Low light/1 hand (if using flashlight)

Moving to cover and shooting from behind cover.

Accuracy at speed

Target transitions

Reloads

I think they are important, but should probably be at the bottom of the training checklist.

Something ordered like:

Draw from concealment -one hand/two hand

Low light/1 hand (if using flashlight)

Moving to cover and shooting from behind cover.

Accuracy at speed

Target transitions

Reloads

Bravo Taco...just a bit more fleshing out the details of each.

1 - With eyes focused on threat, draw and bring sights into eye alignment with threat. Same with the rifle.

2 - Assessment Speed - How fast and efficient can you assess and respond to a threat.

3 - Low Light - Use of light and eyes in both mesopic and scotopic environments

4 - Moving and shooting around various objects.

5 - Weapon manipulation.

Here's one:

The officer has made some shots but doesn't know to what effect. That is pretty typical of the vids I've seen where a LEO tactical reload was done. Also where there were more than one attacker (edit: distributed around cars/buildings) and the LEO paused prior to getting after the others. (Tho by and large it is slide-lock reloads that I see on these vids.)

Last Edited:
Advanced Self Protection has several videos in which LEOs top off with a mag change. John Correia is pointing out that LEO engagements are different from CC holder gunfights, hence the question.

Me personally? .... We train tactical mag changes of both types at IDPA matches as well as mag dumps... IDK, I think I want the skill just in case... If I was in a gunfight I'd have to decide at that time what to do, run it dry or top it off (if I had the chance)... so I'm going with: Depends. :)
Lol I was at the range THE RANGE.
A few months ago nobody else there @AndyinEverson had left .
It was me and my aunt and one guy .
But he was shooting on the Rifle RANGE.
So I decided I would set up a target at about 8 yards .
Put a mag in the gun with three rounds.
And a full mag in my belt.
Bam Bam Bam .drop mag reload .
Bam baB Bam Bam.
Lol .
Here comes guy from the RIFLE RANGE .
To B@#$&:+ at me .
Ok dude I done I'm leaving .
Go back to Shooting your HENRY 17 HMR OR WHAT EVER.
MY POINT is if you really want to practice.
Good luck .
Or drive 8 miles up the hill

This is something that always bother me about going to a range .
I know it's all insurance and safety.
But just standing there in a line shooting at a target.

Is not practice for a gun fight.
So there is that.you can pay money to go to a class .
Great but after the class .
You are right back to standing in a line Shooting.
At a target that doesn't move and you don't move eather.

This is something that always bother me about going to a range .
I know it's all insurance and safety.
But just standing there in a line shooting at a target.

Is not practice for a gun fight.
So there is that.you can pay money to go to a class .
Great but after the class .
You are right back to standing in a line Shooting.
At a target that doesn't move and you don't move eather.

Oh I agree! My oldest brother's home range is Clark County Shooting Complex in N. Las Vegas... they do allow targets from 3yds to 7yds on the pistol range, but none closer, and absolutely for sure never never ever do they allow any movement. You WILL stand there on the line. They do allow draw from concealment, so there is that, but...

I feel so fortunate to belong to a club that has informal shooting at the pistol range. There are 9 outdoor bays with a hill for a backstop and 20' tall berms in between the bays. There is no supervision, which works for me. Members help with clean ups but we usually don't have issues. We also schedule work days to move forward on projects. Recently we added a vault toilet to replace the outhouse. The scoreroom was given a makeover, but we still need better storage for the target stands, etc, that are for the various pistol competitions. During competitions, we do have a match director, typically the discipline head, and a range officer, safety officer, and scorekeeper for each squad. Every squad member helps tape targets and pick brass in between shooters, as well as calling out any unseen safety violation. That usually doesn't happen.

A tactical re-load for me usually involves :

A quick step to the side to see where I hit...
Lightly wiping the soot away from the flint and pan...
Reaching into my shooting bag for the powder measure...
Measuring the powder , pouring down the barrel...
Next placing a patch on the muzzle with a round ball...
With a few firm , sure pushes , running the patched ball down the bore...
Priming the pan from my main horn...
Firing again...
I can get about 3 shots per minute this way , when in a good shooting groove.
That's some 1700's -1840's tactical for ya...:D
Andy

A tactical re-load for me usually involves :

A quick step to the side to see where I hit...
Lightly wiping the soot away from the flint and pan...
Reaching into my shooting bag for the powder measure...
Measuring the powder , pouring down the barrel...
Next placing a patch on the muzzle with a round ball...
With a few firm , sure pushes , running the patched ball down the bore...
Priming the pan from my main horn...
Firing again...
I can get about 3 shots per minute this way , when in a god shooting groove.
That's some 1700's -1840's tactical for ya...:D
Andy

Just sayin:

002-ac1501.jpg

Thanks but that won't really work for how I shoot.

That said ...Lots of guys us 'em , heck I even tried 'em just to see what all the fuss was about.

But for me ...shooting with the same methods as Daniel Boone and Kit Carson , is a large part of the appeal of black powder shooting for me...

Well if I am honest here...out shooting folks who use more a modern approach , method or even a modern inline or cartridge gun , with my old fashion shooting style is fun too....:D
Andy

Each additional threat gets a fresh mag after the first mag is used weather or not the mag is expended! Spent mags are:1) pistol goes back in the mag carrier, 2) rifle goes in a drop bag, and in ether case, both are charged fresh from the mag carriers!
Assess each threat, engage as needed, count all rounds YOU expend, and always draw fresh mags from the same place in the same order. When things go static, clear your primary weapon(s) and make safe, and assess further and consolidate ammo and mags as needed!
The whole idea is to never present a fully loaded and ready weapon!

i always train rapid reload drills, eyes focused on the threat area and your hands do the rest. you have to learn how to fight your gear. do dry runs moving through your house and see what works or the environment you intend on defending. this will show the flaws in your set up.
use a dump bag, stuff em in your shirt, a cargo pocket etc. every one was different when it came to retaining magazines.

when it comes time to defend yourself and others its too late to figure out if "tactical" reloads was something you should have trained on. gunfights are fluid you don't want to leave anything on the ground that might trip you up or make you slip in a two way live fire range

There is a YouTube vid of officers somewhere in the SW chasing murder suspects who were firing at the officers. Ordered to take them out, the lead officer fired through his own windshield (???) until empty. On body cam, he then attempted to load his Glock mag backward.

Practice looks better, lives better.

One fun way to practice re-loading is to load your magazine , revolver speed loader or firearm with Dummy rounds and try to re-load or clear a jam etc...while watching movie or TV show...

The point of this is to practice "muscle memory" of certain actions , even while distracted as well as practicing re-loading when your attention is focused on something else....
As in the case of an actual fight , where you may be focused on the bad guy as you re-load and not your firearm...
Andy

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top