JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Numbers game; you are more likely to choke to death on a peanut, get struck by lightning, or fall and kill yourself in the tub. That is the here and now though. Future will most likely be a different story. Perceived threats are what drive people as opposed to rationality and odds.

Like a home invasion, 'terrorist' attack, etc .... still less likely than the peanut scenario. Don't see many people get upset when they see a jar of Planters though.

If people feel better about showering or taking a dump with a .45, more power to them; doesn't hurt anyone else, fine.

I'm sure the sheep in the middle of the flock feel safe from the wolves, too. Why cant folks just relax and accept this type of violence as part of life? :nuts:

Lightning still scares me, I don't shower in the tub, and the Doctor took me off peanuts ten years ago...:woot:

You can expect to see more of this as more people fall into poverty and despair. We are becoming a Brazil (deep, two-tiered society) and some don't even realize it.

Peter

There is a barely coherent comment below the story about getting a "cancelled weapons permit". Kind of a hoot.

I agree that odds are this will never happen to me as an individual, but it does seem like I'm hearing more of these stories than I did ten years ago. I sure hope they catch these three soon.

I agree that odds are this will never happen to me as an individual,
Not targeting you specifically Flopsweat, just using your quote as context.

The odds are that you will never have to use your gun for self defense. The odds are that you won't ever NEED the seatbelt in your car. The odds are that you will never need catastrophic health insurance.

But all it takes is to be the one out of # and not be prepared.

Numbers game; you are more likely to choke to death on a peanut, get struck by lightning, or fall and kill yourself in the tub.

I have to stop you there...even though people get mugged and shot everyday in our own state (and sometimes in our very city) you stil think we are more likely to get hit by lightning? They say that about the Lotto, too...but it seams like someone wins the lotto every month, but nobody gets hit by lightning.

I'm truly starting to believe that all stats are just plain bullcrap.

Perceived threats are what drive people as opposed to rationality and odds.

Perceived threats are what keeps you alive. Odds are that I won't get mugged when I draw cash at the ATM, but I should still be alert and aware of my surroundings. Am I saying you should have a gun on you when you take a crap? No, but having one handy- even where you think you are safe (i.e. your home) is not a bad thing. Your "safe area" is just a place where you think you won't be a victim so you can relax and finally put your guard down. We don't like to think about it because we have to be able to sleep and focus on our family, but criminals don't recoignize "safe zones" (hence why posting a sign saying "this is a gun free zone" at a school is pointless).

If people feel better about showering or taking a dump with a .45, more power to them; doesn't hurt anyone else, fine.

I'm sure accessbob is glad he has your permission to poop with a gun.

Yep, I am so glad for his blessing. I don't know what I would do if he said that I couldn't do that. Oh, that's right - ignore.

It is great that it is highly unlikely that any of this stuff will happen to us. But should it, I will be prepared. And those that it happens to that aren't, can hopefully live another day and, if they do, live with the knowledge that it might have been prevented or that they could have fought back. I plan on not regretting what could have been should the unthinkable happen. Funny thing - You always seem to hear people say, "I never thought it could happen to me." But it happens to someone and it happens almost every day somewhere.

Funny thing - You always seem to hear people say, "I never thought it could happen to me." But it happens to someone and it happens almost every day somewhere.

Exactly. How many times do you hear "Why didn't they stop this from happening?!" If you think the police are there to protect you, you are a moron. The only people the police are paid to protect is the community, not the individual...oh and important people (like celebrities and government officials), not your average Joe Schmoe. It's sad, really. I mean, people used to look out for each other. I used to stop for people on the side of the road and help out and even offer to help discipline other people's children. But now-a-days, in this sue-happy country, people call the police on anything and everything (rather than confront someone or check it out for themselves). There is no "community" anymore...just selfish people and an overbearing government that tries to tell you how to live your life and raise your children.

I have to stop you there...even though people get mugged and shot everyday in our own state (and sometimes in our very city) you stil think we are more likely to get hit by lightning? They say that about the Lotto, too...but it seams like someone wins the lotto every month, but nobody gets hit by lightning.

Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital. Ha! Besides, 73.87634% of statistics are made up.

One point of clarity (and no flames for this, please). Probability and Statistics. They are often spoken of in the same context, but really they are two separate concepts.

Probability. This is typically a proposition such as "I have a 1 in 43 million chance of winning the lottery".
Probability - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Statistics. This is typically a purported factual measurement such as "the unemployment rate is down to 8.1%".
Statistics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Peter

Perceived threats are what keeps you alive. Odds are that I won't get mugged when I draw cash at the ATM, but I should still be alert and aware of my surroundings. Am I saying you should have a gun on you when you take a crap? No, but having one handy- even where you think you are safe (i.e. your home) is not a bad thing. Your "safe area" is just a place where you think you won't be a victim so you can relax and finally put your guard down. We don't like to think about it because we have to be able to sleep and focus on our family, but criminals don't recoignize "safe zones" (hence why posting a sign saying "this is a gun free zone" at a school is pointless).

Burt thinks that all weapons will only be available when needed. I.E. a preplanned violent home invasion that you know about in advance. Of course, we all know when we are going to be robbed on the street, all women know in advance about their rapist, all kids inform their parents when they are going to be abducted. Holy moley! Remember the six P's. Prior Planning Prevents Pi$$ Poor Performance!
Don't be paranoid, just be prepared!
Greydog111

Burt thinks that all weapons will only be available when needed. I.E. a preplanned violent home invasion that you know about in advance. Of course, we all know when we are going to be robbed on the street, all women know in advance about their rapist, all kids inform their parents when they are going to be abducted. Holy moley! Remember the six P's. Prior Planning Prevents Pi$$ Poor Performance!
Don't be paranoid, just be prepared!
Greydog111

I didn't get that impression from Burt's post. He's right about perceived threats, and you're right about the P's. So it's all good. Plus now we're covered for both poops and P's. :D

One point of clarity (and no flames for this, please). Probability and Statistics. They are often spoken of in the same context, but really they are two separate concepts.

Probability. This is typically a proposition such as "I have a 1 in 43 million chance of winning the lottery".
Probability - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Statistics. This is typically a purported factual measurement such as "the unemployment rate is down to 8.1%".
Statistics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Peter

Your right, my bad! Still funny....;) :)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top