JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've never understood the purpose of this thing or tents like them. In my, rather more backpacking/mountaineering leaning experience...I'm concerned about the shape of this thing and it's ability to hold up to a bad storm. Seems too tall. Granted, that may be why the product photo shows a metric ton of anchors...

I'm confused why it is camo'ed and then given reflective treatment on the anchor straps...their site mentions so that people can see it at night...but if I'm in a survival situation, I don't want some rando at night spotting me from 150 yards because of my highly reflective anything.

It's 50lbs by itself. So, I'm not hiking with it...I'm trucking it in. But wait, I have a truck? There are a plethora of options now afforded me that beat this thing out. See what I mean? If this is basecamp, it's weak. If you're hauling stuff in to set up a new semi-permanent shelter, then I think you can do better than this. And if it's supposed to be portable...well...it's not.

Also regarding weight and size - it's too large to trap body heat alone...it seems almost useless in the cold without a wood stove or some other heat provider, which just increases the weight and bulk of this item...now I need a human size duffel weighing 50lbs + a stove and the piping + the fuel.

Seeing a lot of downsides to its size and design...not a lot of upsides, at the moment.

I've never understood the purpose of this thing or tents like them. In my, rather more backpacking/mountaineering leaning experience...I'm concerned about the shape of this thing and it's ability to hold up to a bad storm. Seems too tall. Granted, that may be why the product photo shows a metric ton of anchors...

I'm confused why it is camo'ed and then given reflective treatment on the anchor straps...their site mentions so that people can see it at night...but if I'm in a survival situation, I don't want some rando at night spotting me from 150 yards because of my highly reflective anything.

It's 50lbs by itself. So, I'm not hiking with it...I'm trucking it in. But wait, I have a truck? There are a plethora of options now afforded me that beat this thing out. See what I mean? If this is basecamp, it's weak. If you're hauling stuff in to set up a new semi-permanent shelter, then I think you can do better than this. And if it's supposed to be portable...well...it's not.

Also regarding weight and size - it's too large to trap body heat alone...it seems almost useless in the cold without a wood stove or some other heat provider, which just increases the weight and bulk of this item...now I need a human size duffel weighing 50lbs + a stove and the piping + the fuel.

Seeing a lot of downsides to its size and design...not a lot of upsides, at the moment.
pretty good analysis. also as an alpinist/mountaineer, this thing seems like the worst of all worlds in tent function. if youre going to be dealing FIFTY POUNDS of tent, you might as well go for an oilcloth canvas with steel poles and toss a wood stove in there as well.

you dont even get a vestibule?? worthless.. plenty of tents less than 1/5th the weight come with vestibules

Ive never seen so many guylines on a tent before.

Also from my mountaineering-backpacking background I see a lot of overkill and excessively heavy weights in the prepper/survivalist community, they seem like they could learn a lot from the UL backpacking/mountaineering community. I always thought id be fun to blend the two groups into one and see what skills and gear comes out of that.
(Plus the politics would get real interesting.... :p )

Also from my mountaineering-backpacking background I see a lot of overkill and excessively heavy weights in the prepper/survivalist community, they seem like they could learn a lot from the UL backpacking/mountaineering community. I always thought id be fun to blend the two groups into one and see what skills and gear comes out of that.
Seems to me the prep/survivor community tends to be too militaristic in framing solutions. I'm not a strapping young lad fresh out of basic...so why would I want to kit up like one?

I can dig it. The guy didn't make any excuses for the weight of the thing. I'm not digging the price though, $1400-2100, depending on the size. For that kind of money it should come with a sherpa to pack it in for you. In the mean time, I'll stick to a tarp over my trailer.

IMG_20140805_132019.jpg

Last Edited:

I can see it now:

Prepper: I need these 500 toothpicks. You never know if someone will get something in their teeth. Plus, they can be used to start a fire or spear a mouse, which could feed us for days!

Backpacker: TOOTHPICKS? Are you mental? You know how much ONE of those weighs? I'm not packing all that crap around.

I can dig it. The guy didn't make any excuses for the weight of the thing. I'm not digging the price though, $1400-2100, depend g on the size. For that ki d of money it should come with a sherpa to pack it in for you. In the mean time, I'll stick to a tarp over my trailer.

View attachment 1096369
Looks like that thing could haul fifty one pounds..

Backpacker: TOOTHPICKS? Are you mental? You know how much ONE of those weighs? I'm not packing all that crap around.
I actually used to carry a small bag of licorice root sticks…lighter than a toothbrush and toothpaste and can be chomped on while on the move. More useful than a toothpick too!

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews