JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Been thinking about this for a while. The closest thing I have to a spear is my walking sticks and a number of Cold Steel Bushman knives.

I have no experience with a spear - my throwing arm/shoulder (I am right handed) has been out of whack since I was 15-16 and did an endo off my bicycle and landed on it. In short, throwing anything with any energy required is painful, especially any distance. I am to the point now where I have chronic pain in my right arm and shoulder, sometimes throbbing.

Given that - why a spear?

Fishing? Hunting without throwing far (small game)/gigging? Self-defense (better than a knife)?

So, experience with spears? Feedback on types?

I am thinking a shaft at least 5' long. Been looking at CS spears. Been thinking maybe at least 2-3 spears of different types - for large game/self-defense, small game, aquatic game.

DSC06421.jpg

DSC06422.jpg

I have a few spears.
My favorite is shown above.
The spear head is the "European Spear Head" from Windlass Cutlery
And the butt cap is also from them as well.
The spear shaft is ash....stained with nitric acid...and oil finished.

The spear head is carbon steel.
The head is 16 inches long with a 9 inch cutting edge.
It is about 2 1/2 inches at its widest point .
The overall length of this spear is about 76 inches.

I've played around with a lot of different spears....the offerings from CS are nice , if not historically correct , regardless of sale ad copy.
With that said...they are extremely functional for what they are.

My spear here is both historically correct*and functional.
( while one can , and I have thrown mine...it is more of a thrusting / CQB weapon )
Andy
* At least in size , shape , and attachment method....Iron , not steel would be better for historic purposes.

Last Edited:
Been thinking about this for a while. The closest thing I have to a spear is my walking sticks and a number of Cold Steel Bushman knives.

I have no experience with a spear - my throwing arm/shoulder (I am right handed) has been out of whack since I was 15-16 and did an endo off my bicycle and landed on it. In short, throwing anything with any energy required is painful, especially any distance. I am to the point now where I have chronic pain in my right arm and shoulder, sometimes throbbing.

Given that - why a spear?

Fishing? Hunting without throwing far (small game)/gigging? Self-defense (better than a knife)?

I am thinking a shaft at least 5' long. Been looking at CS spears. Been thinking maybe at least 2-3 spears of different types - for large game/self-defense, small game, aquatic gatomaawjs
I had the CS spear and a bunch of throwing knives and tomahawks for a while. And a bow too. I wanted some throwing stuff I could use to satisfy my need to aim and throw without making noise or driving an hour or more one way. Didn't need for SD. Interestingly, I got the knives and gave some to my brother for Christmas, and simultaneously he gave me a set of throwing tomahawks. We had never talked about throwing weapons. The spear blade is huge. Very impressive. Way too big and heavy for me to throw. And way too intimidating to carry off my own property. Gave away to a friend for HD whose situation didn't lend itself to loaded guns.

I was about 50 at the time. I really enjoyed the first few weeks of knife throwing. But then I strained my throwing arm and couldn't lift it above shoulder level. It took a year before it was back to normal. I decided that the sudden motion involved in knife throwing was probably not a good idea at my age. The tomahawks and spear were much heavier than the knives. And the arm injury meant no archery either. meanwhile, my brother really got into throwing knives. But after a few weeks, he overdid it one day and threw his arm out. It took two years before it was back to normal.

Later I discovered G-Sight laser training cartridges for revolvers. These shoot a laser beam down the bore when the firing pin hits the activating button on the cartridge. I keep one set of six in one of my .44 revolvers. This allows me to do all kinds of practice, point shooting, etc without making any noise, needing any long commute, or using up any ammo. If I ever succumb and buy a high capacity plastic wonder, I'll make it a 9mm or .45ACP, as there are laser inserts into the bore for these. and in SA/DA type, as these would give the more useful experience with laser insert. Of course these laser devices mimic only part of shooting experience. But it really does satisfy my need to aim/throw stuff lots more regularly than I can get out and shoot these days.

Only experience was when I was a kid, gigging frogs and small fish. Worked okay, if I was patient. Used a lanyard to keep from losing the fish gigg. Water refraction is something to keep in mind so multiple points help if your throw is a bit off. If I were thinking of a spear for survival hunting or self-defense, then throwing [even with an atlatl] would be out, and not just because I have horribly arthritic shoulders. Not willing to let go of my weapon; better to develop a repertoire of snares or traps.

fish gigg.jpg

Only experience was when I was a kid, gigging frogs and small fish. Worked okay, if I was patient. Used a lanyard to keep from losing the fish gigg. Water refraction is something to keep in mind so multiple points help if your throw is a bit off. If I were thinking of a spear for survival hunting or self-defense, then throwing [even with an atlatl] would be out, and not just because I have horribly arthritic shoulders. Not willing to let go of my weapon; better to develop a repertoire of snares or traps.

View attachment 875363
I did some gigging of frogs and fish as a kid too. You can train yourself to correct for water refraction of light. Put on waders if water is cold. Choose clear water with depths of six inches to two feet. Walk around with a straight stick and put it down on bottom at various depths and angles. As expected, if you are aiming stick and looking straight down, there is no apparent displacement of stick. The greater the angle, the greater the apparent displacement of the object under water. Also, the greater the depth, the greater the apparent displacement. Anything below about 1.5 feet I couldn't hit unless angle was nearly straight down. At an angle of about 45 degrees I needed target to be within a foot of surface or apparent displacement was too large. And applies to shooting fish with arrows. Not legal in Oregon for game fish. Might be legal with trash/invasive fish such as carp; look it up. It is in some states. With fish, aim for air bladder, not head.

Its easier to get frogs by spotlighting them at night from a canoe. then paddle up quietly and net them with a fish landing net. Put them in a holding cage and listen the next night to make sure you didn't take too many. A friend and I took a couple dozen once. But when we listened the next night, the normally noisy pond was silent. We let all the frogs go. The night after that the pond was noisy again. This wasn't Oregon. Check OR laws before doing any of this.

Last Edited:
Just like guns, a spear is tailored to the use. Do you need to throw it? Then it'll need to be lighter and have good balance. Or, do you need to ward off a bear? Something longer and sturdier would be better. Or, do you need to protect yourself from humans? In that case, a slashing edge has proven very effective.

If I needed a throwing spear, then I'd go with an atlatl and a few darts (
).

If I needed a spear for taking out a charging bear, then I'd want a modern of the old classic Dory Spear. Preferably one that was ~7.5 feet in length (I'm only 5'7") with a weighted pommel on the end to balance is and make handling it easier.

And if I needed a spear more for protection from two legged animals, then I'd be looking at a Naginata.

And, of course, if you tried to find a do-all, then you'd need to pick the traits that matter most to you...especially where throwing is concerned as there is a huge difference between darts, javelins, and spears.

The last walking stick I bought has a spear in it. It';s sold as a "survival tool". VERY well made damn thing. Has flint, saw, knife, opener and such and one is a barbed spear head. Not sure it would do much for "surviving" but guess it would sure hurt like hell to poke some critter you were trying to persuade to leave you alone :D

I am thinking a shaft at least 5' long.

A spear should be long enough that you can't fall on the tip if you (or one of your party) should stumble.
That makes sense. I have read a lot about the Roman Army, and I remember their pilum was over 6' long. The Romans used these prior to going toe-to-toe, and their primary function was take enemies out of the fight at 15-20 yards; secondary purpose was to render enemy shields useless by piercing them.

This thread inspired me to do a little more reading on hunting spears, and revjen45 is right on the money as far as optimal length goes. Most of these are 5' or better. Having seen wild boars in person, I would be strongly in favor of any weapon that lets me keep my distance!

Growing up my old man had a fishing spear that consisted of a 6' or so shaft with a 3 prong tip, and a loop of a strong surgical tubing of sorts at the bottom. No throwing needed let the tubing do the work for you.

Sog makes a product with threaded socket for common broom/mop handles

Cheesey , but efficient design

I have one. It's a knife that can be used as a survival spear tip. It came only sharp on one side so I fixed it.

Instead of hiking with a mop handle, I fixed up the Bo Staff that I use for hiking with a aluminum tip from a replacement pushbroom handle. BTW my hiking Bo Staff is the 'Speed' version - thinner and tapered at each end. Not like the heavier and thicker classic version which is what I train with.

Where it is stored at I won't be able to get to until next week. I will try to remember and post a picture when I can get to it. Like Knobgoblin said it's kind of cheesy, but it's effective as a emergency survival tool. A War Lance it is not.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top