JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Hi guys, just out of curiousity why is everyone going the trust route? Is the Sheriff in Multnomah county not signing off on suppressors? Just curious as I'd like to get one this year as well.

No sign-off, no fingerprints. The items in the trust are property of the trust, and a trust can be set up to allow other people access to the items. Kinda like the corporate route that was popular with some people long ago, they would make a shell corp and everyone that would be handling the items was an officer of the corporation. This is a lot cleaner, and a lot simpler in terms of taxes and paperwork(corps require quarterly tax filings and other constant govt paperwork). So this way you can, say, put members of your family on the trust in a certain way, and then instead of the normal NFA BS, they would be able to use the item without you present. And like a corporation, it can also(very dependent on circumstances, applicable laws, and how it is setup) limit liability, or protect the assets in the trust from other things going on. A lot of hidden snags in there depending on what you are trying to do no matter which way you go, which is all the more reason to talk to an attorney and have them write up a trust to do things properly instead of just using whatever software program is popular at the moment.

Thanks for the info. Seems like if the Sheriff would sign off it would be a lot cheaper and easier, prints and BG checks don't bother me.

It depends on if you want anyone else (spouse, kids, parents) to have legal access to the items. If not on a trust you are the ONLY one that is ever allowed to legally be in possession of the item. This does not mean others can not use them, just that you have to be present at all times.

It depends on if you want anyone else (spouse, kids, parents) to have legal access to the items. If not on a trust you are the ONLY one that is ever allowed to legally be in possession of the item. This does not mean others can not use them, just that you have to be present at all times.[/QUOTE]

That does make sense looking at it that way, maybe in the event that I died too they could still legally have or use them! I wish the Government would get over it and just make suppressors OTC items. I believe they are great and are really useful on many levels, like courtesy to neighbors/fellow shooters aid in target shooting and more.

I can't wait to get one for my Mark III 22/45!

I think it's a fairly certain bet that you will die eventually. :)

Can't say about your county but up here in King and Pierce counties the general consensus is that there is a higher probability for Angeina Jolie to show up at your house for the weekend than there is for the sheriff up here to sign off on your Form 4.

The trust has another very useful feature in that you can sell/dissolve the Corporation without having to pay another $200/6 months to transfer the NFA gear to another entity. The trusts are very flexible and virtually no yearly maintenance.

You are right that the 22/45 is a top choice for suppressed .22 pistols. A really popular combo now is the SWR Spectre II on the Ruger 22/45.

Hi guys, just out of curiousity why is everyone going the trust route? Is the Sheriff in Multnomah county not signing off on suppressors? Just curious as I'd like to get one this year as well.

He was signing as recently as September of 2012. I haven't talked within anyone in that office lately. Give them a call - all they can say is 'no'.

Nate

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads