JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I want to get my first suppressor, a Silencerco Sparrow to be exact, and have some questions for you that have done the process. I want to go about doing it in the create a trust direction. What is the difference between doing it with Quicken WillMaker or using a service like that at NW Gun Law Group Does anyone have experience with the NW Gun Law Group, and if so would you recommend their service? Also, when filling out the trust, I assume I list everything I currently own on it, but what about the new product I am hoping to attain? Is there a section to add to it? So if I want to get said suppressor when would I add that item to the trust?

Also, can anyone recommend me a good place to deal with to buy the Sparrow in the Portland area? A lot of the places I have seen in Oregon are appointment only and have outdated websites with not a lot of information. Obviously I want to be able to get a decent price, but also deal with someone who is friendly and won't make me feel like an *** since I have never done this before. Basically I want to have all my ducks in a row before I contact someone about going through the steps to purchase/acquire one. I read through the sticky post about trusts and what not, but it is a few years old and I know how often these things can change. Thanks in advance for your advice and recommendations.

So I want to get my first suppressor, a Silencerco Sparrow to be exact, and have some questions for you that have done the process. I want to go about doing it in the create a trust direction. What is the difference between doing it with Quicken WillMaker or using a service like that at NW Gun Law Group Does anyone have experience with the NW Gun Law Group, and if so would you recommend their service?

Just $$ and your comfort level. The boiler sticky on here works fine.

Also, when filling out the trust, I assume I list everything I currently own on it, but what about the new product I am hoping to attain?

You probably want to start an NFA-only trust I only put NFA items in it. If you want to have other firearms/items in a trust, just do a separate one. You don't add an item to the addendum of the trust until it is in your possession.

Is there a section to add to it? So if I want to get said suppressor when would I add that item to the trust? After the dealer gives you the suppressor and your approved Form 4.

Also, can anyone recommend me a good place to deal with to buy the Sparrow in the Portland area? Call Hillary over at Curt's Discount Shooter's supply in Milwaukie or Tornado Tech in Hillsboro.
Everything can be done with Curts via mail except picking up the suppressor, background check, receiving your stamped Form 4 from BATFE.

BTW, if you are looking for a pistol-only 22lr suppressor, the AAC Element 2 is smaller, as quiet as the Sparrow, and doesn't have the first round pop. You can't go wrong with the Sparrow for an overall 22 suppressor though.

Awesome, thanks for the help. I am actually planning on doing mostly rifle shooting with it, maybe pistol down the road. One other question though. As I am trying to create an NFA only trust using Quicken WillMaker, what do I put in the trust property section if I do not currently own any NFA items? It will not let me move onto the next step until I put something down.

Well considering I want to set this up as an NFA only trust I don't know about the US dollar thing, even though its just a dollar. Someone in the other thread mentioned that that put down "NFA Items: Firearms & Devices Registered with the BATFE" would that work as a placeholder for now?

"No items at this time" or something to that affect and XXXXX for a serial number if required. Or the word 'empty'.

In the trust property section mine says something to the effect of: All NFA Items registered with the BATF
There is no specific item listed and I have three so far in the trust.

The ATF will require your trust addendum to contain a specific list of items in your trust, by description and serial number. My guess is as you send any future F1s or F4s they'll have a list and know what you have, and therefore expect them to be listed.

My impression from talking to others is they are not half as picky about the trust itself as they are about the F1, F4s. F1s of course are rejected the most because they are filled in by us, not the dealers.

ADDENDUM -

One (1) SilencerCo Sparrow .22 cal suppressor SN XX8X*X

Well considering I want to set this up as an NFA only trust I don't know about the US dollar thing, even though its just a dollar. Someone in the other thread mentioned that that put down "NFA Items: Firearms & Devices Registered with the BATFE" would that work as a placeholder for now?

Not sure about that. You can remove the dollar at a later time.

Not sure about that. You can remove the dollar at a later time.

This. Don't put any generic descriptions in. Whatever you call the property list(on mine it's a Schedule A), you put on it what is in the possession of the trust - nothing more, nothing less. My understanding(and how mine was setup) is that it should be a list of items showing the manufacturer's name, model name/number, and serial number. If you are doing a transfer, the item is not on the list as you do not have possession until the approved form is returned. If you are doing a Form 1 to do an SBR, than the firearm should be on the list already. Building a can where you cannot possess until the form is back would be the same as a transfer, leave it off. As a side note, I sent in a blank Sched A on my first transfer and they either didn't notice or didn't care.

My Attorney instructed me to list an item I'm applying to transfer as "Pending" on the Schedule A.

My Schedule A has the Trust's checking account listed as well.

So if I were to apply for a Silencerco Sparrow today my Schedule A would look like this:

1. Checking account number XXXXXX at XXXXXX Credit Union
  2. NFA Item
  3. NFA Item
  4. (Pending) Silencerco Sparrow, S/N XXXXXXX

"NFA Item" would be the existing items I have, which I refuse to specifically list on this thread ;)

FWIW, I was in to Wild Bill's in Molalla today and they're as well-stocked as I've ever seen them on both guns and suppressors. They had probably 15 suppressors in stock, some YHM and some others that I'm not certain of. I didn't look that close, don't have the money for one just yet.

Also, can anyone recommend me a good place to deal with to buy the Sparrow in the Portland area? A lot of the places I have seen in Oregon are appointment only and have outdated websites with not a lot of information.

Oregon Research Labs in Vernonia is the best! He is awesome, friendly, and will answer all your questions :) I have no worries with my wife asking a "dumb question" if she goes. Pat is a true gentleman!

[email protected]

So I want to get my first suppressor, a Silencerco Sparrow

I was set on the Sparrow too till I shot the SWR Spectre II. It will do .22lr, .22MAG, 17HMR, 5.7x28 and all in full auto! It's about $100 less and made by the same company and super quiet :)

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top