JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I didn't say that the price wouldn't go down eventually. It is a market force. Look at .22lr ammunition. Sandy Hook happened and everybody started hording it like mad and the price went up. Using .22LR as and example, the price for it has finally started to drop since the amount of money chasing a limited supply has gone down.

The one big difference with .22 ammo was the actual price never went up. There has been inflation. Media pulled out all the stops trying to hide this to protect Odumbo. Many shooters seemed to only be able to see it on ammo. Many places were still selling it at the same mark up as always. Of course those places had people waiting to jump on it. Since I am working at night and have access to the net I had a regular supply of .22 coming in weekly. Kept me and a few other shooters supplied. The only places it was actually more were those taking advantage of the panic and selling it for whatever the market would bear. Suppressors are dead simple to make. There will be a very short time to tool up for production but it will be very short. Modern computer operated machinery will be cranking them out in weeks.
When the .22 ammo was hard to find many could not understand this and loved to say it was some kind of conspiracy. I tried, often in vain, to explain it was not like that. To make ammunition the companies making it can't flip a switch and start to double output. The amortization cost of building a new plant take decades to recoup. If they had doubled output soon market would flood and that new plant would sit idle. Suppressors are something any machinist can easily make. To mass produce them is a snap. Every shop with some CNC time available will be cranking out parts. For a while you could paper an adapter then make a suppressor out of stuff that cost almost nothing. For small calibers like .22 you can make a very effective suppressor for pennies.

Suppressors are something any machinist can easily make. To mass produce them is a snap. Every shop with some CNC time available will be cranking out parts. For a while you could paper an adapter then make a suppressor out of stuff that cost almost nothing. For small calibers like .22 you can make a very effective suppressor for pennies.

Okay, the main problem right now is that not every machine shop can crank out parts for suppressors. Currently you need to be licensed under the NFA to build them. That is why there are not every mom and pop machine shops cranking them out. HPA passes, that more than likely will change. Given that, and the limited hours per day for each machine, you can see why the cost of a can in this country is higher. Right now due to the HPA, suppressor manufacturers are in the same boat. Do I go out and spend millions of dollars on new machinery only to have the price drop when/if the HPA passes? Given that most CNC machines need to be run for around 12-16 hours a day to get a decent ROI (minimum 20 years), that is why they have not increased production.

It is the same thing as with 22lr, no ammunition manufacturer wanted to increase their manufacturing capability due to an artificial shortage. They knew that in time the scare would end, I don't think they believed it would take as long as it did, but they did the right thing and now they don't have to worry about having machines around that they are paying for but not using. When the HPA passes, and the initial rush of people buying new cans goes away, I do expect to see the price fall. But not until then.

Sorry it took a while to get back to you. I had to get my thoughts in order.

Okay, the main problem right now is that not every machine shop can crank out parts for suppressors. Currently you need to be licensed under the NFA to build them. That is why there are not every mom and pop machine shops cranking them out. HPA passes, that more than likely will change. Given that, and the limited hours per day for each machine, you can see why the cost of a can in this country is higher. Right now due to the HPA, suppressor manufacturers are in the same boat. Do I go out and spend millions of dollars on new machinery only to have the price drop when/if the HPA passes? Given that most CNC machines need to be run for around 12-16 hours a day to get a decent ROI (minimum 20 years), that is why they have not increased production.

It is the same thing as with 22lr, no ammunition manufacturer wanted to increase their manufacturing capability due to an artificial shortage. They knew that in time the scare would end, I don't think they believed it would take as long as it did, but they did the right thing and now they don't have to worry about having machines around that they are paying for but not using. When the HPA passes, and the initial rush of people buying new cans goes away, I do expect to see the price fall. But not until then.

Sorry it took a while to get back to you. I had to get my thoughts in order.

If they do take these off the NFA list the small caliber will be dead simple. If they let you just # a tube or an adapter again anyone can make one at home. It would be fun to do again. The ones for CF rifles are a little more involved. When we could still paper and adapter we were making disposable ones for pennies that were amazingly effective. It was why the BATF finally outlawed the making of the adapters. I found by accident that Amazon is selling these. Of course the guys buying them are playing a VERY dangerous game. Get caught and the Feds will have no sense of humor about it.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top