JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I recently got my Henry model X in .357/.38, I'd like to start adding some accessories.

I've seen a lot of builds with suppressors, and I'm trying to find the best option in terms of versatility and functionality. Is there one I can get that works on multiple different calibers, .357/.38, 9mm, 10mm? Thoughts on the Rugged obsidian 45?

I'm curious what other people are running.

Thanks!

Last Edited:
Boy howdy, when you're talking about "best" with suppressors you really open a big fat can O' worms that's gonna lead to buying at least 3 because the first was the cool one that actually sucks... the second is way, way to damn big and the third is titanium.

I recently got my Henry model X in .357/.38, I'd like to start adding some accessories.

I've seen a lot of builds with suppressors, and I'm trying to find the best option in terms of versatility and functionality. Is there one I can get that works on multiple different calibers, .357/.38, 9mm, 10mm? Thoughts on the Rugged obsidian 45?

Thanks!
Hard to go wrong with the Rugged Obsidian in my opinion. Probably the best all around pistol caliber suppressor on the market still if you want to run it on both rifles and handguns. There are others I would recommend looking at if you are going to run it dedicated to the Henry or long guns. I am running the following cans:
  • Rugged Obsidian 45
  • CGS Mod 9
  • CGS Nautilus 45
  • YHM R9
  • Rex Silentium MG 358
  • Rex Silentium MG 458
  • B&T SQD 9MM
  • B&T GHM9 SD
If I could only keep one from that list, it would be the Rugged Obsidian 45. The YHM's and Rex cans are dedicated to PCC/Long gun use on guns ranging from 9mm PCC's to 458 SOCOM and many in between. The dedicated cans work well and were good choices at the time but if I were buying for their use case right now, I would look at what has come on the market the last year or two.

The Henry model X with my obsidian 45 is all day hearing safe. Almost as quiet as 22lr and one of the most fun firearms I own. I also have an obsidian 9mm and on a barrel that long I don't think a long suppressor is needed unless you want the ultimate quiet experience. The obsidian 9 in short config is too loud for me on a handgun even with ears. I'd rather shoot unsuppressed or wet the can every mag. The short config 45 is Goldilocks sound, weight, and length perfect on all caliber handguns for me except 22lr. That all changes with the long heavy Henry. On the Henry the short obsidian 9 blows the extra weight and length of the 45 away as the 9 sounds great with it short and dry. I believe with a pcc like the Henry you can go with a shorter can and be happy. Everyone is different though and that's why the obsidians are still tough to beat. You can adjust the length for how you are feeling that day. I would but the 9mm for pcc and the 45 for handgun and larger caliber pcc. The brand new 3.9oz titanuim SiCo specter 9, and the 10 oz (I think) ptr vent titanuim foam suppressors look very promising for what your wanting though. Might be worth waiting for some real reviews on those. I care most about weight, then sound, then length for reference.

IMG_3557.jpeg

Gemtech sandstorm
My brief look tells me the sandstorm is both discontinued and in .308 where our dear OP is looking for something that will work at least to .40 cal. Unless I'm getting the wrong info? People do seem to like their sandstorms...

I'm in a similar boat and the Rugged 45 looks great, but I hear all this talk of titanium and the Rugged 45 is stainless and aluminum. Is there a titanium option that would support .357 out of a lever, 5.55 out of a 10" barrel, 9mm out of a pistol and PCC, and work for .22 in a pinch? I didn't see a 5.56/.223 rating on the Rugged either but looks pretty close otherwise and I still might go that route despite being aluminum and stainless. I had considered the Banish 46 but hear some questionable warranty stories.

I'm in a similar boat and the Rugged 45 looks great, but I hear all this talk of titanium and the Rugged 45 is stainless and aluminum. Is there a titanium option that would support .357 out of a lever, 5.55 out of a 10" barrel, 9mm out of a pistol and PCC, and work for .22 in a pinch? I didn't see a 5.56/.223 rating on the Rugged either but looks pretty close otherwise and I still might go that route despite being aluminum and stainless. I had considered the Banish 46 but hear some questionable warranty stories.
This is the closest I am aware of to your requirements list: https://thunderbeastarms.com/products/fly45

Thunderbeast cans aren't the cheapest but usually regarded in the top of their class. I am extremely happy with my TBAC cans but have no first hand experience with their pistol cans. The pricing is the limiting factor for me having more of their cans.

Rugged has the Alaskan and Alaskan TI which are primarily a pistol suppressor that can handle rifle calibers. At .36 caliber it will do 22lr-300 Rum or something like that. The TI is ridiculously light at like 5.5 ounces. I've held it, it's crazy how light it is. It's a trade off though. I've read it is a bit loud on rifle calibers like 556, and titanium is more of a shoot one mag of 556 and then let it cool off. The new SiCo spectre 9 is also a rifle caliber rated pistol suppressor titanium 3.9oz. Also the new PTR vent titanium foam technology is not crazy light, bit pew science says is the most quiet suppressor by a long shot and flow through. It supposedly is a game changer for sound and strong.

Thanks!
Obsidian 45 on my .357 and .44
Guy

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR