JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Beans, rice and coconut oil.

Should give you everything you need to live on.

Freeze dried stuff is probably more practical if your hiking or bugging out somewhere.

I'd go beans and rice if your looking for in home storage for shtf.

Beans, rice and coconut oil.

Should give you everything you need to live on.

Freeze dried stuff is probably more practical if your hiking or bugging out somewhere.

I'd go beans and rice if your looking for in home storage for shtf.

Rice to plug it up, beans to move it out... very practical! :D

I guess it depends on what your intended use will be. If it's just for around the house and you have the means to cook/heat water, then everything from fresh foods to Mountain House to ramen works. But if it's something that you might need while on the move, it's really hard to beat a MRE.

The MRE is a pretty complete package in itself. You just need some water and you're GTG. You can eat it without cooking. It will taste better warm but if you're moving or desire a cold camp, it's edible and has a lot of calories.

I've also used the plastic bag for storage, transporting water, bathing, shaving, and other things.

I've eaten MREs that were technically "expired" but assured by a really sharp warrant officer that it was safe. Just watch out for expanded/leaking pouches or obviously bad smells. He said that if they were kept in a cool, dry place, they would gradually lose nutritional value and taste but still fill your belly. He would also say to those complaining about the taste that they were still much better than the alternatives and only designed "to keep body and soul together".

I also prefer Mountain House over Wise. I thought Wise was very salty and otherwise lacking in taste.

I liked reading Camodeafie's line up - it reminded me of my backpacking days! Point being A LOT of freeze dried foods can be found outside of the normal 'venues' for them. A little creativity can make for some pretty good meals with freeze dried stuff.

The MSR Whisperlite is a great bubblegumming piece of kit. I have one for trips I know will cause me to run out of alcohol fuel or will be at altitude.

Otherwise, I am a total fan of alcohol stoves. There is a learning curve associated with cooking well with one, and unless you pay some serious coin, simmer rings are a DYI affair.

They can be as light as ones made from aluminum beverage cans with tin foil or pie plate screens, to my favorite, but heavier Swedish Army surplus units that I got in the good old days for $10.00 each, on up to modern Svea or Trangia units.

What I appreciate most about these stoves in the sticks are their total silence. The "whisper" in Whisperlite, is aspirational at full on.:p
I have an inexpensive dead simple alcohol stove but I keep the fuel separate. The good thing is that even if the fuel leaks the smell is negligible. Unlike gas or kerosene. Fuel is easy to come by and inexpensive.

The problems with MREs are weight and longevity. Stored in a hot car trunk they can last for less than 6 months

Very true. I will admit to keeping two in my truck at all times. But I have them in a cooler along with some bottles of water. I'm hoping that the cooler will keep them at a neutral temp for a while. I do replace them every hunting season. I have yet to see one go bad.

But each food form has it's downsides. With Mountain House, you have to have water and a means to bring it to a boil. So the food is light but you need all the support items and time to prepare it. I've eaten a MRE on the march. Dump the food packets in my cargo pocket or a M249 ammo pouch. Eat one packet at a time and you don't have to stop and barely have to take your eyes off scanning but for a few moments. Again, it comes down to what scenario we're looking at.

. Also where can we find dehydrated water? A powder form would work best. :)

Found this brand at Costco..but you have to buy them by the case lot. Maybe you could split a case with someone.
bernard-dehydrated-water.jpg

Very true. I will admit to keeping two in my truck at all times. But I have them in a cooler along with some bottles of water. I'm hoping that the cooler will keep them at a neutral temp for a while. I do replace them every hunting season. I have yet to see one go bad.

But each food form has it's downsides. With Mountain House, you have to have water and a means to bring it to a boil. So the food is light but you need all the support items and time to prepare it. I've eaten a MRE on the march. Dump the food packets in my cargo pocket or a M249 ammo pouch. Eat one packet at a time and you don't have to stop and barely have to take your eyes off scanning but for a few moments. Again, it comes down to what scenario we're looking at.

Generally, even during a dry spell in the summer, I have no problems finding water on the west side of the Cascades. Part of my GHB is a hydration pack with an inline filter. either way, you wind up carrying water, but with FD food you can drink the water when needed and refill it as needed, and find it as needed. Some FD food (such as fruits) can be eaten without hydration - I have some of that (employer provides snacks at work, there is usually some small FD fruit packets among them and I usually grab one or two and cache them).

MREs are just canned food with a slightly lighter can. You can get less expensive food in retort pouches in a grocery store.

Also, as I mentioned - you do not need hot water to rehydrate FD food - it just takes longer with cooler water.

Excellent input everybody and thanks. Do not laugh too much but we have found the need to eat without heat or boiling important. To us anyhow. A plain old fashioned, heavy, stupid cheap fresh date can of pork and beans still works mostly.

They even have stuff nowadays with a pull top tab opener. No trusty worn out useless can opener necessary. The can popping open does make some noise. Also a good nose can smell the can contents from quite a distance down wind. :)

Pun intended. :)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads