JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Nope. But given each pack is a single bread at 300 calories, several smaller meals while on the go along with high calorie snacks (gorp, snickers, etc weather depending) in between would be far superior to a few heavy meals.
That was kinda a joke also one WAR FIGHTER M.R.E. IS LIKE 1600 CALORIE 'S ONE A DAY is all you need to survive

North west some Fred Meyer stores sell the backpack deal like five day food and medical supplies for like $60 I think they do have small little bags if water in them also but I prefer to buy the biggest pack I can and pack what I know I will need in it but anything is better than nothing I guess

That was kinda a joke also one WAR FIGHTER M.R.E. IS LIKE 1600 CALORIE 'S ONE A DAY is all you need to survive

Yup. Not a warfighter. More of a long distance hiker/cyclist back in the day. Slow and steady, while eating small all day long. With my ghb, even in the current piss poor shape I'm in, I could cover 20 miles walking per day, provided on pavement. Breaking trail/off pavement? Dunno, would depend upon the terrain honestly, but likely 7-10 miles.

Yup. Not a warfighter. More of a long distance hiker/cyclist back in the day. Slow and steady, while eating small all day long. With my ghb, even in the current piss poor shape I'm in, I could cover 20 miles walking per day, provided on pavement. Breaking trail/off pavement? Dunno, would depend upon the terrain honestly, but likely 7-10 miles.
I'm not trying to knock you lol when I worked on fishing boat snickers bars were like gold WE CALLED THEM DECK STEAKS LOL

My experience.. have not tried Mountain House yet.. but here is what has worked for me in the past;

Wise food co (some of their stuff could use better flavoring)

Knorr Side dishes in the green bags; AWESOME with summer sausage and also with other things.

Idahoan Instant mashed taters; also awesome as a main dish

Ramen noodles (hey; we have all been there... )

Add dried meats to any of the above.

Canned goods also last pretty long but not great for backpacking /hiking unless ya have a sort of chuck wagon :D

Tyson foods' foil packed cooked chicken is eh... its okay.. last package used.. smelled JUST LIKE CAT FOOD ugh. :confused: it was the reddish brown packaging. Might have better selections out there.

These days though.. as a staple in the apartment.. we use a lot of frozen and fresh foods on a regular basis.
Oh yeah Trader Joes sometimes have great freeze dried goods.

Old friend of my family made a lot of hard tack foods just like his grandparents made. Kind of bland but made sense.. he also made salted and cured dried hams and beef jerky.. delicious.
Sounds good- when should I show up for dinner?;) Did they make dried fruits? Mixed with that jerky it could make a bomb pemmican! Pemmican.... Nature's answer to refrigeration-challenged lifestyles...

I guess I should put this in the prep forum but I think I did awhile back anyway last winter or the one before Spokane WA had huge ice storm and lost power to almost half the city for day's lol as some of you know I drive a truck for McDonald's half the McDonald's in Spokane where closed with no power the others where so busy we where send three or four trucks a week to keep them supplied lol OK my point is THE PEOPLE THAT LOST POWER WHERE DRIVING ACROSS TOWN TO EAT AT A FAST FOOD BECAUSE THEY HAD NO WAY TO EAT AT HOME WITH NO POWER MMMMMM think about if the whole west coast loses power LOCK AND LOAD THERE WILL BE LOTS OF HUNGRY PEOPLE OUT THERE...

Feed the homeless to the hungry, as my great-aunt Flossie used to say.. The thought of hungry, homeless mobs on the move is both:s0168: scary and saddening!

How 'bout a goat? They keep pretty good, will clear a minefield for you, will give up somathat sweet sweet cream and they gots the devil eyeballs. I rest my case.
people these days
Ditto on the goats. My old Mom kept milking goats and to my chagrin was known to many on our hill as The Goat Lady.. I don't recall that the goats gave cream in their milk but then I was too cool to be caught milking, I hated them sumbidges... For survival living, maybe beef calves for food, hides, and rendered tallow... or a couple sheep too.. their hides make a decent sleeping pallet. Sheep's milk can be used to make a kind of "koumiss", a fermented strong drink of certain herdsmen tribes of Central Asia. (Boy-howdy, the lengths people will go to to get a buzz on... and the ingenuity used! I mean, who had the TIME to come up with this stuff?)o_O
The rendered fat also makes a good general-purpose grease... use it to grease my patches... Sheepskins will protect from rust, I think its got lanolin in the fur-fibers. Inside out sheep hide makes a decent lining for a sword or knife sheath, which leather-workers have known for as long as there has been workable iron...:s0062:....

Last Edited:
So, ummm... what is this "GHB" you all speak of? A quick google told me that "GHB" is a chemical most often used as a "date-rape" drug. Methinks Im missin sumthin...

Get home bag.

FYI:

A BOB is a bug out bag, for when you need to leave your home very quickly. Like within minutes.

An INCH bag/kit is an I'm not coming home...

Personal request ...

Regarding Mountain House stuff. The individual serving pouches look too dinky and small. The larger pouches sound more like it. Has anybody tried both the individual serving size AND the larger serving size? (pouch size?)

The Mountain Houses site says about 190 Kcal for an individual serving. Too small. Is there enough food inside the larger "pouch" size to make it worth it if you are really hungry? Can one hungry kid each a whole "pouch" size?

Or ... how much hungry will that kid still be? :)

We are probably going to $buy$ both some lifeboat ration bars, (barf!) AND some Mountain House stuff to try out. We understand the Mountain House varieties require safe boiling water and about 8-10 minutes to soak up.

Any hunger success stories? Any barf and puke stories? We are willing to $spend a little$ to find out ourselves before spending more money on something new. Looking for something better than that can of pork and beans.

Hungry in SW OR USA. :)

Only thing that beats Mountain House freeze-dried is . . .

Pemmican: time-tested for hundreds (!) of years by hundreds of thousands of people . . .

I've made a bit in my time. :) There are a LOT of different variations on the basic theme. Pick the one whose taste you like the LEAST. If your recipe tastes good (and most do), you'll be tempted to eat it when you're just bored, not hungry.

Btw, it's amazing how few prepper articles there are about combating the crashing boredom that comes about when 21st century city man is subjected to a grid-down bug in. Much less the snowflake Millennials who go into junkie-needs-a-fix mode when even the wi-fi is down for ten minutes.

TIP OF THE DAY: Whenever you're in the local Goodwill, look for some (complete!) board games. They're cheap, reusable, rentable, tradeable and will pay bigger dividends than most preps.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top