JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Pine cone seeds in season. Miner lettuce. Dandelion greens. Rotted log grubs. Big ones too. Not too bad. Wild rice. Various root tubers. Captured, executed skinned gutted stick roasted pack rats. We even tried camp fire roasted rattle snake. Actually not that bad. The rats were NOT that good. We had a very good Boy Scout pack leader. Ex military. Probably Civil War. Been long ago. :)

The main thing we have experience with and kinda like are the main MRE menu packs. But ... not enough food and they cost too much. Also our sources for just the MRU main menu items all tend to be very costly, out of date and may have had dubious storage. Thus us looking elsewhere for some alternatives. We need to change out our chow. Now old and out of date. Hot car storage also.

Last Edited:
Pine cone seeds in season. Miner lettuce. Dandelion greens. Rotted log grubs. Big ones too. Not too bad. Wild rice. Various root tubers. Captured, executed skinned gutted stick roasted pack rats. We even tried camp fire roasted rattle snake. Actually not that bad. The rats were NOT that good. We had a very good Boy Scout pack leader. Ex military. Probably Civil War. Been that long ago. :)

The main thing we have experience with and kinda like are the main MRE menu packs. But ... not enough food and they cost too much. Also our sources for just the MRU main menu items all tend to be very costly, out of date and may have had dubious storage. Thus us looking elsewhere for some alternatives. We need to change out our chow. Now old and out of date. Hot car storage also. Yikes!
I have ate rattle snake before it's not bad but you are right about one thing you can't keep some of this survival food in your car most of it says keep in cool dark place the dark part has to do with the packages I'm guessing even military MRE have stuff in them that will melt in HI temp candy and such

Most of my stuff is in a closet that is dark and cool I have a few things out at my sisters house some stuff in my car and truck not much in the car and truck basically one or two day stuff that will fit in small pack ammo in cans some ammo or loaded mags are in the safe with easy access can goods and bottle water storage is cool dark out of sight I have water purification tablet 's also and a few small stove that could be used for cooking or just boiling water so if I don't get killed in the first week or so of the SHTF I CAN SURVIVE FOR A WHILE I think only time will tell mmmmmm

Btw, it's amazing how few prepper articles there are about combating the crashing boredom that comes about when 21st century city man is subjected to a grid-down bug in. Much less the snowflake Millennials who go into junkie-needs-a-fix mode when even the wi-fi is down for ten minutes.

TIP OF THE DAY: Whenever you're in the local Goodwill, look for some (complete!) board games. They're cheap, reusable, rentable, tradeable and will pay bigger dividends than most preps.

I have spent a lot of time alone in the bush or just off by myself, and I have gone months to years of unemployment, mostly eating something I have thrown together with rice, canned veggies, a little bit of meat and some sauce and spices in an electric wok or in a crock pot. As long as I have some things to add on, I don't get too bored with food.

Other than that, if SHTF I would probably be working so hard I would not have time to get bored, but I have a lot of books to read, or I can just sleep.

I have spent a lot of time alone in the bush or just off by myself, and I have gone months to years of unemployment, mostly eating something I have thrown together with rice, canned veggies, a little bit of meat and some sauce and spices in an electric wok or in a crock pot. As long as I have some things to add on, I don't get too bored with food.

Other than that, if SHTF I would probably be working so hard I would not have time to get bored, but I have a lot of books to read, or I can just sleep.
Lol well I posted it a few months ago I lost power to my house for a few day's it was OK because I had stuff except TV but who needs that S#!+ ANYWAY but I have taken some of my survival food and stuff and just used it for a day to see how it works my mom posted it on her face book for her friends to see lol you should see the reply she had from people who have nothing for a emergency all I can say is DON'T COME TO MY HOUSE LOOKING FOR HELP if you have nothing to provide or help out with its a joke and they call me crazy mmmmmmm

I have salal, blackberries, thimble berries (all of these, less now that I cleared some acreage, but they will come back), a blueberry bush, a blackcap bush I mistakenly trimmed thinking it was a blackberry bush, a plum and apple tree. I could also range around on other acreage and collect more wild edibles.

The other day I went out to get in my car to leave for work and there were three yearling deer standing near my shop. This winter I had a small but plump deer eating my shrubs 5 feet from my kitchen window and one day, while reading in my recliner, I looked out the living room window and saw a deer 10 feet away eating my roses. I also see rabbits around my porches from time to time - apparently they have taken up residence under my wood decks when I got rid of the briars near the house.

Then there are the bears - I see their scat on the road this time of year because the blackberries are ripe.

There is meat up here to go with the veggies, rice and lentils I stock up. A little meat adds a lot of protein and flavor - it doesn't take much.

I have salal, blackberries, thimble berries (all of these, less now that I cleared some acreage, but they will come back), a blueberry bush, a blackcap bush I mistakenly trimmed thinking it was a blackberry bush, a plum and apple tree. I could also range around on other acreage and collect more wild edibles.

The other day I went out to get in my car to leave for work and there were three yearling deer standing near my shop. This winter I had a small but plump deer eating my shrubs 5 feet from my kitchen window and one day, while reading in my recliner, I looked out the living room window and saw a deer 10 feet away eating my roses. I also see rabbits around my porches from time to time - apparently they have taken up residence under my wood decks when I got rid of the briars near the house.

Then there are the bears - I see their scat on the road this time of year because the blackberries are ripe.

There is meat up here to go with the veggies, rice and lentils I stock up. A little meat adds a lot of protein and flavor - it doesn't take much.
Yep even though I'm in the city lol small city surrounded by snowflakes I have deer that come in my yard lol just had a doe and small bamby in my yard a few weeks ago IMAG1071.jpg IMAG1070.jpg IMAG1068.jpg lol right next to the BBQ MMMMM

Yeah, deer like the edges of human habitation. Makes for good browsing for them and they know they won't be hunted by humans while there are fewer predators.

I have noticed a difference between deer in the city and up here on the mountain - they are more wild here. Cougar, coyote, and humans hunt them here and they know it.

Just the same, they seem to feel semi-safe near the houses, and I could, if I wanted to, take several deer a year by stepping out my door and shooting them with either a gun or bow.

Yeah, deer like the edges of human habitation. Makes for good browsing for them and they know they won't be hunted by humans while there are fewer predators.

I have noticed a difference between deer in the city and up here on the mountain - they are more wild here. Cougar, coyote, and humans hunt them here and they know it.

Just the same, they seem to feel semi-safe near the houses, and I could, if I wanted to, take several deer a year by stepping out my door and shooting them with either a gun or bow.
Oh yeah these are not afraid of people they won't let you touch them but I can get within a few feet of them before the turn and walk or run away I was driving down the street a few blocks over one day and saw 7 deer in a yard they where obviously feeding them

Oh yeah these are not afraid of people they won't let you touch them but I can get within a few feet of them before the turn and walk or run away I was driving down the street a few blocks over one day and saw 7 deer in a yard they where obviously feeding them

I have a friend in N. Dakota that feeds a herd of deer in a cemetery periodically. They all come running when she throws out the feed, and the deer just hang around the grave sites most of the day. They know they are relatively safe there and somebody feeds them from time to time.

I go down south every other year to visit a friend in SOUTH CAROLINA his family or his uncle has property they have a deer stand built in a tree and about 75 to 100 yards away they have a giant feeder that is stocked year round with corn and deer food grain what ever they eat but when deer season is open every one gets a tag or license and takes there turn in the stand pick and choose what you want don't worry about trophy looking for meat in the freezer lol

We have a herd, (few?) doe with Bambi's and maybe yearling does also hanging around. It seems they have a route and schedule. We ignore them and they ignore us. Can get as close as 20 feet just walking by. Seems to save time. I understand they are good to eat? :)

The secret with MREs is some variety to which ones you eat, while steering clear of the meals that you absolutely hate. Military vets will have had enough opportunity to make that decision first hand. Those of you who have to buy your MREs retail and don't actually eat so many of them, not so much.
If you have access to them, try some foreign MREs. We always enjoyed getting the occasional Canadian MRE while overseas, since they were a break from the US menu, and even something similar to a US MRE entrée would be different, so it contributed to the variety in meals....

This reminds me of eons ago when I was in my early twenties/late teens. Standing on my own two feet. I quit my job without another lined up. I lived off Costco Polish Dogs stuffed with onion and relish. I'd eat it, walk around the store to drink my soda, then fill my soda again. That was the only meal I ate every day. $1.50 a day to feed myself for a few months. Those lessons stayed with me even though I have money now. But I've had to bus and hot dog it up before.

I did an experiment recently to see if I could prepare a Mountain House Pro Pak meal using a flameless ration heater and water in an MRE hot beverage bag. While the MH meal didn't get hot (directions call for boiling water), it did reconstitute and was definitely warm. I now carry four of those in my pack instead of a stove in order to save space and weight. There is a point where the FRHs begin to outweigh the lightweight stove and single canister of fuel, but for just a few meals in a GHB the FRHs work.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top