JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
AuntB ... Thank You! Exactly what I was looking for. Do you get one bar or four? Reason I ask is the add is misleading. They show a pic of four, (4) packs, but describe verbally only one bar that is divided into individual sections. I will re read the link. Thanks again. :)

Edit addition: Appears to be four, (4) packaged bars in each order. Each pack contains one bar that splits up.

Last Edited:
AuntB ... Thank You! Exactly what I was looking for. Do you get one bar or four? Reason I ask is the add is misleading. They show a pic of four, (4) packs, but describe verbally only one bar that is divided into individual sections. I will re read the link. Thanks again. :)

Edit addition: Appears to be four, (4) packaged bars in each order. Each pack contains one bar that splits up.
I tried eating those for a couple days in a row. Had two cases labeled USCG survival rations. They are not bad...like super thick heavy pie crust with a lemon taste, but eating them gets REALLY OLD REALLY FAST...in my opinion

Mountain House is good, but pretty expensive and has a high salt content. It's geared for the people who are losing electrolytes. It's manufactured by Oregon Freeze Dry in Albany. OFD also makes the Easy Meal brand, which is geared for the workplace or group servings. However, you can also get the freeze dried ingredients separately and make your own meals.

Harmony House Freeze Dried and Dehydrated Foods
Emergency Essentials | Food Storage & Emergency Preparedness Supplies

For more local resources, I'd speak with the local Mormons. They are instructed by their church to eventually have a 3 month supply of food on rotation.

Any ideas or good experiences as to what might work better than horrible MRE entrées? We are going through our stuff and have found by volunteer, (drafted!) taste testers that our old MRE main meals are out of date and do not taste that grate ... er ... great.

Marine lifeboat ration blocks come to mind but I am having difficulty finding out the actual nutritional breakdown of the various available products. Taste is not that important. A full belly is. That and a good proper mix of protein carbs fats vitamins etc..

Don't laugh too much but the old out of date cans of pork and beans still tasted OK but are considered too heavy for a light weight backpack type last ditch grab and run BOB. Also where can we find dehydrated water? A powder form would work best. :)
I have six cases of MRES LOL some are pretty good some are not but like other 's have said when you're hungry you will eat what you got but I do have other stuff can goods and such the MRE are there for 25 year's and will be the last resort for food if needed

I have a friend who decided he was going to make his own mre rice beans salt pepper or what ever put into jars coffee cans bla bla bla but guess what if you don't do it the right way you get mold or little bugs or just bad tasting mildew rice and beans my point is if you're going to store food for long periods you have to know how to do it right and rotate you stock pile

I guess I should put this in the prep forum but I think I did awhile back anyway last winter or the one before Spokane WA had huge ice storm and lost power to almost half the city for day's lol as some of you know I drive a truck for McDonald's half the McDonald's in Spokane where closed with no power the others where so busy we where send three or four trucks a week to keep them supplied lol OK my point is THE PEOPLE THAT LOST POWER WHERE DRIVING ACROSS TOWN TO EAT AT A FAST FOOD BECAUSE THEY HAD NO WAY TO EAT AT HOME WITH NO POWER MMMMMM think about if the whole west coast loses power LOCK AND LOAD THERE WILL BE LOTS OF HUNGRY PEOPLE OUT THERE...

Message received. Some sorts of folks can not even open a can or boil up some water. Their life style is strictly fast food eaten out. Their notion of health food is a lame old salad eaten out ... at the fast food place. Breakfast for the growing boys was tacos at Taco Bell. I kid you not. Extended family in Kommiefornika years ago but I do not think their dietary habits have changed. :(

I guess I should put this in the prep forum but I think I did awhile back anyway last winter or the one before Spokane WA had huge ice storm and lost power to almost half the city for day's lol as some of you know I drive a truck for McDonald's half the McDonald's in Spokane where closed with no power the others where so busy we where send three or four trucks a week to keep them supplied lol OK my point is THE PEOPLE THAT LOST POWER WHERE DRIVING ACROSS TOWN TO EAT AT A FAST FOOD BECAUSE THEY HAD NO WAY TO EAT AT HOME WITH NO POWER MMMMMM think about if the whole west coast loses power LOCK AND LOAD THERE WILL BE LOTS OF HUNGRY PEOPLE OUT THERE...
Fact right there. That is more frightening than the disaster itself.

How 'bout a goat? They keep pretty good, will clear a minefield for you, will give up somathat sweet sweet cream and they gots the devil eyeballs. I rest my case.
people these days

Fact right there. That is more frightening than the disaster itself.
That's a fact if the stores are not open then go to fast food thinking the other stores will be open tomorrow but after that they have no idea what to do one of the maintenance guys at the McDonald's I supply had a freezer he said he was BBQ for three days so his meat would not go to waste using the snow in his yard to keep his freezer cold mmmmmmm what if there is no snow

Goats are really good eating. Check out the rest of the world.
I used to backpack em up with burlap and BBQ sauce.. anyway.. back to barley and groats.
Male goats yes but I think female goats are worth more alive because they produce milk if you can afford to keep them alive otherwise eat her lol

upload_2017-8-9_18-54-15.jpeg

You feel me?

lulz

That was kinda a joke why would you support a goat when you can't support yourself LOL of course eat the goat male or female lol I'M STILL VOTING FOR PEDRO

Picked up some MRE individual white bread packs from the ready store.

2 1/2 to 3 year best by date on the ones we received. 300 calories, plus add on whatever (peanut butter, nut butter, tuna etc etc), and should make a pretty decent 5-600 calorie quick meal on the go.

Not sure yet on how they taste, will get back on here when we give some a try.

Second to that are pilot bread crackers, which are pretty darned good. Get them in a #10 can, then double vacuum pack meal/snack sets for bags.

Need to pick up some more Justin's brand peanut/almond etc butter individual squeeze packs. Target used to carry them in a bunch of flavors, but we haven't had an opportunity to get there since I recalled they carry them.

Picked up some MRE individual white bread packs from the ready store.

2 1/2 to 3 year best by date on the ones we received. 300 calories, plus add on whatever (peanut butter, nut butter, tuna etc etc), and should make a pretty decent 5-600 calorie quick meal on the go.

Not sure yet on how they taste, will get back on here when we give some a try.

Second to that are pilot bread crackers, which are pretty darned good. Get them in a #10 can, then double vacuum pack meal/snack sets for bags.

Need to pick up some more Justin's brand peanut/almond etc butter individual squeeze packs. Target used to carry them in a bunch of flavors, but we haven't had an opportunity to get there since I recalled they carry them.
I hope your not watching you calorie intake after the SHTF lol

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads