JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
That is a good point, and one I consider when trying to plan for 'get home' more than 'bug out'. If, say, the 'big one' hit while I was at work, some 20 miles from home, and assuming I survive without any major injuries, and assuming I can get to my GHB, I fully expect driving home will be highly unlikely. I may make it a bit, but I've got to cross under overpasses and over at least 1 river to get there, as well with dealing with hillside roads that will likely crumble and fail or be covered in rocks and landslides from sheer cliff faces lining them. And that doesn't even account for downed power lines or the potential for streets clogged with lunatics.

I am making my plans mentally for a long walk home, likely having to go the 'long way around' to bypass certain obstacles. It's still a mystery how I may cross that river though - I can only hope it will be summertime and I may have a chance to almost walk across. Winter would be much worse since I can't carry a boat with me.

The private boating/ferrying business will likely be booming, perhaps for a very long time were certain things to happen. If you are on foot and have some trade goods, I feel that getting across any old river will actually be pretty "easy".. especially in an emergency.. not necessarily for commuting back and forth to work.

The private boating/ferrying business will likely be booming, perhaps for a very long time were certain things to happen. If you are on foot and have some trade goods, I feel that getting across any old river will actually be pretty "easy".. especially in an emergency.. not necessarily for commuting back and forth to work.

I've kept that idea in the back of my mind - and I'm sure good old fashioned cash will work too. I wonder what I should expect to pay for a trip from Gladstone to OC across the Clackamas, all 20-40 feet of it, depending on the time of year? That really is my biggest obstacle, unless I find myself on the west side and may possibly have to cross them both.

The best bet, since I work right near OMSI, is that I could pay someone with a boat to run me up to OC from downtown PDX. Short trip and would bypass most of the obstacles. Maybe I could get lucky and hop the jet boat :p

I've kept that idea in the back of my mind - and I'm sure good old fashioned cash will work too. I wonder what I should expect to pay for a trip from Gladstone to OC across the Clackamas, all 20-40 feet of it, depending on the time of year? That really is my biggest obstacle, unless I find myself on the west side and may possibly have to cross them both.

The best bet, since I work right near OMSI, is that I could pay someone with a boat to run me up to OC from downtown PDX. Short trip and would bypass most of the obstacles. Maybe I could get lucky and hop the jet boat :p
Exactly. Cash is always good.. but it may well not be, once upon a time. You know.
And that's good thinking.. because 20 miles is really a fair good hike. I hike on hills probably 3-5 miles a day and that's different than 20 miles. lol. You could do it though.

Exactly. Cash is always good.. but it may well not be, once upon a time. You know.
And that's good thinking.. because 20 miles is really a fair good hike. I hike on hills probably 3-5 miles a day and that's different than 20 miles. lol. You could do it though.

Thanks for the vote of confidence ;) I have no illusions that I would cover that distance quickly. I grew up hiking, backpacking, biking and skiing, but today, I'm not the more svelt young lad I used to be. Age, a sedentary job and some injuries have packed on the extra pounds. I was in better shape when I still carried the tools working in the field. Thankfully, my knees and hips are good, and my legs are still strong, so I know I can cover the distance if I maintain a conservative pace. I would expect a bare minimum of 2 days based on where I have to start what I may be able to do and what condition I'm in at the time (not injured, etc.) and what obstacles I have to work around. My GHB (still building it) is getting equipped with the necessities to spend a night or 3 outdoors, on the way.

Funny thing is I got a feel for it a couple years ago when we took our daughter to Disneyland. We spent no less than 12 hours each day there for 4 days, walking, standing in line, etc. I was carrying a pretty heavy pack the whole day since my wife felt it was necessary to carry everything we owned while we were there ;) I'm guessing we did a minimum of 5 miles around that park each day.

Plus, doesn't a gut offset the weight of the GNB, helping to balance things out?? :p

#1............is to move soon.
That was the option I took
My Tween Daughter is at the moment the weakest link in any SHTF situation. She almost had a breakdown during the inconvenience our minor kitchen remodel caused. I can't wait for her to grow up a little bit.
My 7 year old on the other hand might just be the strongest link!
There is a practice in India....:rolleyes:

etrain16, you are in luck Bud, I happen to own a jet boat with a full top, a heater and 8 rod holders. That being said, the trip will be a long one because we will be trolling the whole way plus it will not be CHEEP!!!!:eek::eek::eek::eek:o_Oo_Oo_O:p

Of course cherry picking is/will be involved. See the afore threat/pimping/baiting. I don't think you understand a single solitary thing.
good luck to all punks

Earth Abides was one of my favorite books growing up. I've read in the past few months that a TV mini series is being planned to finally bring the story to the screen. Can't find anything on it at the moment, though IMDB has a placeholder for it.
That would be great. The author did a good job writing the book in a timeless fashion. One of the outstanding themes for me was how the later generations referred to the "Americans" in a similar fashion as we would describe the Incas.

I wouldn't want to have to cross most rivers right now, boat or no boat.

The Tualatin at Scholls is anywhere from 200-300 to 2000 feet across in places, depending on where you would try to cross it. And crossing it would be dangerous because you would get tangled up with trees and logs and submerged crap. The upside of it is that even flooded like this, the Tualatin at Scholls is a very slow river.

I live and work on an island, likely I won't have to bug unless sea level rises thousands of feet....but if I am off island I have contingencies to get back. There are routes that many folks are unaware of. One gets as far as one can get in a vehicle...then its shanks' mare.

Brutus Out

I wouldn't want to have to cross most rivers right now, boat or no boat.

The Tualatin at Scholls is anywhere from 200-300 to 2000 feet across in places, depending on where you would try to cross it. And crossing it would be dangerous because you would get tangled up with trees and logs and submerged crap. The upside of it is that even flooded like this, the Tualatin at Scholls is a very slow river.
Of course you wouldn't. Who would? That is precisely the point though.

I think bug in is a smart way to go for many people but it ultimately depends on where you live. I have chosen to live in an area where I think hunkering down would be a great option. If I was in some PDX apartment in a mid-lower income area I would plan to get the hell out.

If you are truly considering a "mad max biodiesel project" then I would like to point your attention to my beast that is for sale, it has the ridiculous capably to be anything needed by a Road Warrior from the Thunder Dome to the Fury Road. It is not set up for WVO at this point in time and I have never looked into the mods needed.

http://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/199...l-swap-locked-expedition-ready-oregon.867911/

If I had to Bug.... even though it would be just me and the wife....our AWD tinted window Exploder will have every door window down about 10% with a barrel sticking out!

We're not the victims you are looking for, move along.....
Brutus Out

Accccckkkk ! ! ! Homeland Security ! ! ! The CIA, NSA, BATF&EABC's has its advanced Guard out ! ! !

(Snicker ... Hee Hee . . .) My vehicle is so camouflaged that all you say is, did you feel that Wind ? ? ? ! ! !

philip :cool:

I've always felt the "Bug Out and Rebuild Society In the Wilderness" crowd was woefully underestimating the issues they would face. I'm sure there are some who could but most don't truly understand what it would entail.

Getting home is my primary goal. That's where my family is, where most of my stuff is, and where my neighbors are. We're all pretty well set up. Mutual support would be needed to get through any significant disaster.

I carry a very light weight Get Home Kit in my car and truck. Must admit I run a bit shorter when I'm on my motorcycle. Plan is to move quickly.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews