JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My dad gave me a sign that read "Bad bubblegum Guard Dog On Duty" that I placed on the privacy fence near my front door. I actually had a 100lb great dane/lab mix that was a great guard dog. He passed a couple of months ago, but I left the sign up. It can't hurt.

Me and the Mrs. bugged out to Yellowstone. Smoke followed us 3 days later....

I think I'm gonna try that! I'll throw in a couple used tampons for good measure.
Go to the local Planned Parenthood and get a handful of condoms. Put a tablespoon of hair conditioner in each one, toss it on the ground by the front door. No one will knock on your door.

I've been thinking about this bug out / hunker down conundrum as well.

Over the years I've prepped with the idea that we'd likely try to shelter in place. But, I've also tried to configure my supplies so they're portable in case we needed to leave. We're lucky enough to have three possibilities in terms of places to run to, assuming we could get there.

Getting ready though, I was struck by how much we'd need to leave behind, and how little room there is in the truck. I don't have a canopy on the new one either, and my truck bed would've been a super attractive / interesting target on the road in a traffic jam. Also, my favorite guns to shoot aren't necessarily what I'd bug out with.

Overall I'd much prefer to hunker down, Alamo style. But this experience taught me I need to flesh out my evacuation strategy.

Had this been a SHTF situation, I probably would have stayed in place instead of evacuating.

1) If SHTF, I probably would not have had a place to evac to; instead of going to my kids house, they would have been here, so their house probably would not be an option.

2) The evac routes would probably be blocked by attackers.

Forest fire has been my primary worry/risk/threat - which is why almost every summer I try to mitigate it. Going to talk to neighbors about getting a fire pump and tank for fighting fires.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top