JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I too am in a precarious situation with my body not being very cooperative with my teenaged mind.
That being said, I have always been in the mindset of setting up my home to be my castle my fortress and will stand my ground here.
No fantasy of the ultimate place to run to when TSHTF, I'd rather die on a hot pile of brass than die on the road.
If I die knowing that I did my best to protect what is mine then I'm going to die in peace.....;)

Unless absolutely necessary bugging out is a terrible idea unless you have a fortified location you have stocked up and know well.

Why relocate to a new area where you are unsure of the habitat, food sources, people and back trails when you could dominate your home town area using the already known information? Not to mention your ability to focus funds on one location where you can ensure your food, water..etc can all be protected and placed throughout your house.

Also, packing all that food, water, gas and firearms in a vehicle makes you a savory target. Hell, if I was desperate enough I may even try to take what you have.. People become opportunistic animals in the duress of survival.

Ever watch that silly dooms day show?
All the bugging out folks looked like clumsy fools trying to desperately pack all their gear into a vehicle and "hope" they could make it out in time.
The funniest were the ones with the life raft.. They packed all that gear and could hardly paddle.. It was a mess and an easy target.

Im glad you saw the light and chose to stick to your known territory.

There is a two book series written by a woman:
Life As We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeffer. A young-adult novel that chronicles the aftermath of an asteroid knocking the moon out of orbit. Many aspects of survival are involved and it takes place in a surbaban setting.
Also THE DEAD AND THE GONE with a young cast that is set in NYC

Life As We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeffer. A young-adult novel that chronicles the aftermath of an asteroid knocking the moon out of orbit. Many aspects of survival are involved and it takes place in a surbaban setting.

Wait a minute, sounds good but I just read a review of that book, Life as We Knew It, as I'm looking for gift ideas for my Tween Daughter.

Yes, I thought the jabs at the President, Fox News, etc., were unnecessary to the story, and only served to alienate part of the audience. Aside from that, I found Miranda's Mom to be a very interesting character.

My Daughter and I have enough not in common as it is. Which Prez and what about Fox News??

I had to reread that comment 3 times to understand it correctly. Is it the author throwing in her opinion or a plug to show that the majority in distress will blame anyone or anything for the reason of a disaster?
Good luck understanding the modern world daughters....
I'm so pleased that mine shows some inclination that she listened once she finally "grew up".....o_O:D

What ever you think might/will happen; run your own emergency drill. Are you able to bug out? Will there be down power poles, fallen bridges, etc? Is your car stored in a garage, can you get it out? Is there enough time to bug out? Drive the route and give it a good lookie see. Check out different routes as Plan "B".

My case, I can't get there from here. Bug out ain't gonna happen. That leaves two options at this point. #1............is to move soon. #2..............get the abode ready for the assault.

Foreverlost,

Last Edited:
If I had to Bug.... even though it would be just me and the wife....our AWD tinted window Exploder will have every door window down about 10% with a barrel sticking out!

We're not the victims you are looking for, move along.....
Brutus Out

Lucifer's Hammer and Earth Abides are great reads too.

I had to reread that comment 3 times to understand it correctly. Is it the author throwing in her opinion or a plug to show that the majority in distress will blame anyone or anything for the reason of a disaster?
Good luck understanding the modern world daughters....
I'm so pleased that mine shows some inclination that she listened once she finally "grew up".....o_O:D
My Tween Daughter is at the moment the weakest link in any SHTF situation. She almost had a breakdown during the inconvenience our minor kitchen remodel caused. I can't wait for her to grow up a little bit.
My 7 year old on the other hand might just be the strongest link!

Never let a crisis go to waste.

This time of year, winter, gives rise to put lots of things into practice.

This year I got another can opener. I don't use an electric model in the kitchen, but it occured t me that where my survival food is located that I did not have a can opener (I got a John Wayne) and since I would be here, why wouldn't I have an opener.

It's the little things that you sometimes need to trip over to find improvements.

If I had to Bug.... even though it would be just me and the wife....our AWD tinted window Exploder will have every door window down about 10% with a barrel sticking out!

We're not the victims you are looking for, move along.....
Brutus Out
What happens when you get to the bridge or overpass that has collapsed?

Are you going to sit there in your "Exploder" and explode?

The point is to be prepared to get out and walk if you are bugging out, because it is quite likely that will happen, even if you live at your BOL like I do.

I have 3 Swiss armies, each one has a can opener, a couple of P38s and a couple of kitchen openers, none electric.

In a pinch a screwdriver or bayonet works as well.

Brutus Out
What do you need 3 for?

I would settle for just one Swiss Army:

swiss-army.jpg

Lucifer's Hammer and Earth Abides are great reads too.

Earth Abides was one of my favorite books growing up. I've read in the past few months that a TV mini series is being planned to finally bring the story to the screen. Can't find anything on it at the moment, though IMDB has a placeholder for it.

What happens when you get to the bridge or overpass that has collapsed?

Are you going to sit there in your "Exploder" and explode?

The point is to be prepared to get out and walk if you are bugging out, because it is quite likely that will happen, even if you live at your BOL like I do.

That is a good point, and one I consider when trying to plan for 'get home' more than 'bug out'. If, say, the 'big one' hit while I was at work, some 20 miles from home, and assuming I survive without any major injuries, and assuming I can get to my GHB, I fully expect driving home will be highly unlikely. I may make it a bit, but I've got to cross under overpasses and over at least 1 river to get there, as well with dealing with hillside roads that will likely crumble and fail or be covered in rocks and landslides from sheer cliff faces lining them. And that doesn't even account for downed power lines or the potential for streets clogged with lunatics.

I am making my plans mentally for a long walk home, likely having to go the 'long way around' to bypass certain obstacles. It's still a mystery how I may cross that river though - I can only hope it will be summertime and I may have a chance to almost walk across. Winter would be much worse since I can't carry a boat with me.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top