JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
There ain't much places west for one to bugg out to..............
Cant go east, and the coast is on fire too, traffic is to buggered up to go north, and south is shut down too, so.........................
pick your smoke and hunker down!

Fires. The one thing that's nearly impossible to survive in, short of being insulated by a few tons of rocks or concrete and with a good air circ and filter system, the likes of which the Military engineers are experts in... as seen by the Cheyenne Complex.

Wow, very sad for those who have been impacted. Prayers and thoughts are with them as they deal with their lives being turned upside down.

Make me give thought to what to take when one has to bug out. Understanding you may only return to ash. Or even worse, a looted home...

Wow, very sad for those who have been impacted. Prayers and thoughts are with them as they deal with their lives being turned upside down.

Make me give thought to what to take when one has to bug out. Understanding you may only return to ash. Or even worse, a looted home...

I am with you. I can come to grips with nature an unfortunate circumstances taking everything I have, however to see myself ransacked by my fellow man at my lowest point would set fires alight.

I did a reverse bug out; generally the plan has been for my kids to bug out from Beaverton to my home. I went to their house instead. Grabbed as much stuff as I could put into my daily driver, checked on neighbors on the way out, and drove down the mountain.

Stuff happens. :(

I always considered wildfire my primary threat up there - that is why I worked so hard all summer removing/cutting down ground brush/grass, removing moss/etc. from the roofs of the house and shop, and prior to that (2014) thinning the trees around the house.

When I had the back acreage logged in 2018, along with the neighbors doing the same, that removed a lot of trees, but left a lot of logging trash behind - including a lot of slash piles. The plus side is that there are logging roads that most fire vehicles can traverse and those roads do provide the start of a line for firefighting. Then this year a LOT of grass and brush grew up in place of the clear cut - I imagine if that caught fire the fire would spread fast thru that, but still, easier to fight than in timber? I don't know.

Yes it is a primary way if you CAN bug in, but you better be prepared to bug out too...

Oregon Wildfires: 500,000 People Forced to Evacuate.

Yup.

However as @The Heretic mentions, you also do what you can to mitigate the risks. Most of us can't eliminate the risk, but we can reduce it a bit. Helps.

Now, if someone is considering a new build? Simply include such risk mitigation into the build. Location, structure types, water stowage & near structure fuel zones.

1599836952679.png

Build a large pond with an island on which the house could be situated... and use the same risk mitigation techniques that can be found online... such as clay or metal roofing, fire resistant building materials, leaf / pine needle shedding gutters, steel framing vs wood, metal or ceramic siding if not clay/brick type

Sometimes sitting in place just won't work. Just keep in mind that bugging out makes you a glorified refugee it doesn't matter if you have a bug out bag or an INCH bag ready all the time. It does mean though you no longer have the safety or comfort of your home.

Fires. The one thing that's nearly impossible to survive in, short of being insulated by a few tons of rocks or concrete and with a good air circ and filter system, the likes of which the Military engineers are experts in... as seen by the Cheyenne Complex.

Earth bermed or sub-terrain house would help, but a person still needs oxygen to breathe. The good thing about taking whatever measures one can, is that your preps, possibly including your shelter, are more likely to be there after the fire passes thru.

FWIW - I noticed that with the fire on Bald Peak, so far from what I have seen, most of what is burning is the undergrowth. The recommendations I have read is to thin trees - removing the undergrowth, including the trees that are young and can't get above the canopy. Increase the distance between the trees decreases the chance that the fire spreads from tree to tree - same thing with younger trees, less chance to spread - and the older bigger trees take more for them to catch on fire.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top