JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Dust mask?
Not to be a doomsayer because I'm not. But when any clear looking water (even of dubious quality) costs more than a gallon of gas does now, and everything is afire (including your next door neighbor's attractive landscaping), a decent N95-ish filter mask will come in really handy for staying on your feet for a couple/few extra days and fending for your family vs. hacking and puking on opaque airborne ash. We've just recently experienced a very minor peek at that inevitable reality.

Possible emergency cash I usually have 100-300 dollars in small bills stashed with my gear as well never know if grid is down and need to buy something.

While the US/world economy continues to function status quo, I religiously carry $100 (in 20s) as an emergency stash under everything in my wallet. It's 5x bulkier than a single Benjamin, but in a real fix I'd rather drop a 20 for a mercenary gallon of gas (or a ride to safety) than all $100.

By the same token (sorry, the pun is unavoidable), precious metals will immediately replace credit and paper currency when electricity (banks) and cell phones all fail at the same time. So again, while they're far heavier, I'd rather cough up a couple one-ounce silver rounds in an emergency trade than a single 100-ounce silver bar, or even one gold coin of any denomination.

And then there's lead.

Just sayin'.

1) OP says that he knows the territory well enough to not need a map, but for those who don't, a map and compass could be handy - thinking of geological survey maps and AAA type road maps. If you are traversing terra incognita knowing alternate routes would be valuable.
2) Storing a personal protection piece in a vehicle: Lift the floor panel in the trunk and put the gun with or under the spare. It won't show upon opening the trunk. This would be for a situation in which just having a piece is more important than what it is, so don't leave your $3K IPSC 1911 in the trunk.
3) One of those lightweight wheeled carriers for computer, briefcase, etc. Use it to transport your water, blankets, etc. Leave it behind when you have used up what it was carrying.

While the US/world economy continues to function status quo, I religiously carry $100 (in 20s) as an emergency stash under everything in my wallet. It's 5x bulkier than a single Benjamin, but in a real fix I'd rather drop a 20 for a mercenary gallon of gas (or a ride to safety) than all $100.

By the same token (sorry, the pun is unavoidable), precious metals will immediately replace credit and paper currency when electricity (banks) and cell phones all fail at the same time. So again, while they're far heavier, I'd rather cough up a couple one-ounce silver rounds in an emergency trade than a single 100-ounce silver bar, or even one gold coin of any denomination.

And then there's lead.

Just sayin'.
Yes Silver or gold will definitely be in play but the immediate situation prior to complete collapse Cash will have its value tho gouging will most likely occur. I agree i keep a significant Silver stash locked away incase cash currency becomes void.

Not to be a doomsayer because I'm not. But when any clear looking water (even of dubious quality) costs more than a gallon of gas does now, and everything is afire (including your next door neighbor's attractive landscaping), a decent N95-ish filter mask will come in really handy for staying on your feet for a couple/few extra days and fending for your family vs. hacking and puking on opaque airborne ash. We've just recently experienced a very minor peek at that inevitable reality.

TESTIFY!!!

Now that Mother Nature has given me this lung wedgie, I can attest to the truth of teflons statement! That "very minor peek," (and it was) FN 'bout killed me!
I had N-95 masks on hand, and I've got more now! Actually, while I'm attesting, those M-95 really work! I was able to get to appointments and Drs meetings with relative ease and safety! Those and the Subaru's cabin filter!

Thinking about the Gray Man notion of just being completely unnoticed while I escape from Portland... of course, I could go the other way...

IMG_1601.PNG

So I'm putting together a Go Bag to leave in my truck because I work in Beaverton and live in Camas, Wa. My concerns stems from the ice storm last year that took me four hours to get home, the latest weather and fire issues this year, and the threat of North Korea looming over us. I'm also considering other possibles like a total lock down traffic issue where nothing is moving and I need to leave my truck, the I-5 and 205 bridge is out ETC. Keep in mind its to be left in my truck while at work. Here are some of the things I've packed so far:
Strong backpack
Change of clothes, hat, gloves, rain gear and boots. Ice cleats for boots
Knife, flashlight, multi tool and 25' of rope
7 days of daily meds and small first aide kit
lighter, Mylar blanket, Zip-loc bags assorted sizes.
2 bottles of water, several protein bars, bags of nuts.
Tooth brush and paste.
Optional Pistol, extra mag and 25 rounds of ammo because of location {WORK}.
Its starting to get heavy and ounces equals pounds so what else do I need? any ideas?o_O
Dude from the other message board suggested one of these?
TEAR GAS RIOT GRENADE *LIVE* - $26.99 : GUNSHOWGOODS!, Your Source for Tactical Gear and Military Surplus

So I'm putting together a Go Bag to leave in my truck because I work in Beaverton and live in Camas, Wa. My concerns stems from the ice storm last year that took me four hours to get home, the latest weather and fire issues this year, and the threat of North Korea looming over us. I'm also considering other possibles like a total lock down traffic issue where nothing is moving and I need to leave my truck, the I-5 and 205 bridge is out ETC. Keep in mind its to be left in my truck while at work. Here are some of the things I've packed so far:
Strong backpack
Change of clothes, hat, gloves, rain gear and boots. Ice cleats for boots
Knife, flashlight, multi tool and 25' of rope
7 days of daily meds and small first aide kit
lighter, Mylar blanket, Zip-loc bags assorted sizes.
2 bottles of water, several protein bars, bags of nuts.
Tooth brush and paste.
Optional Pistol, extra mag and 25 rounds of ammo because of location {WORK}.
Its starting to get heavy and ounces equals pounds so what else do I need? any ideas?o_O

Worrying about DPRK (North Korea) and what your bugout bag can do is probably not a practical concern. However, extreme weather is. I would look at your vehicle like a survival platform, and tailor your kit accordingly. 1. Shelter/Heat 2. Water/Food 3. Mobility/Comms 4. Medical 5. Defense

1. Install a heater in your vehicle that runs on alternative fuel, or a small generator: for when you vehicle breaks down or gets stuck in traffic for long periods of time etc. Modify the vehicle so it can travel on ice and is reliable - boost battery etc. Or buy something that's better suited for your region. Have a winter grade shelter you can pack out with you (North Face/Mountain Hardwear etc.) Make sure your clothes are quality enough to keep you warm and dry. (I keep an extreme weather kit in my vehicle from fall to summer: -60 boots, Wild Things - bootie covers, parka, overalls/suspenders, OR Gloves and cold weather backlava, Extreme Cold Mittens, and Ski Goggles) If you ski you'll need gaiters OR makes good ones. Make sure they're not the tourist versions and actually waterproof. (Skis, polls, Ski Shoes, and spare hardware mini kit).

2. Have more than enough water and nutrition in your vehicle: well sealed and locked. Your mobile food kit needs to be survival food with high nutrition density and fluids with electrolytes and minerals so you don't cramp up and have a heart attack humping your kit across the landscape on snow-shoes or skis etc.

3. I would include cross-country skis they make for fantastic transportation in snow if your vehicle goes down: I can cover extreme distances one x-country skis versus on foot or snow-shoes. You have to be proficient so that means lots of practice, I break my own trains and traverse up and down mountains because I'm an advanced expert. If you can't devote the time to skis get snow shoes, they are easier to learn but slow comparitively speaking. Or keep a snow machine in the back of your truck. Install a good two-way CB/Marine/Air Radio low voltage with a solar or backup l-ion battery that's maintained. In the case of comms hand-held is better IMHO just make sure it has a antenna and booster or dockable with your vehicle. Keep l-ion spare batteries locked in a water tight box in the vehicle :)

4. Have a big Trauma Kit in your vehicle and a big boo-boo kit. Have a personal Trauma Kit and boo-boo kit in your pack. Think in three's 3's! One is none, two is one, three is a bonus. It's common to have to stop multiple arterial bleeds in serious emergencies so having extras might be enough.

5. You can cache a hidden carbine or shotgun in a vehicle locked out of sight: they sell multiple solutions and you can make your own solutions. Know your laws and carry ammo locked seperately if you live in a communist state or travel through one. Lots of ammo might be enough. Carry a Glock 9mm with spare loaded mags, lots of loaded mags: some in locked in a console or mini-safe in the back (commy state) and make sure you have a good holster you can clip or strap to your hip or inside your pack if you have to foot it. Keep a round chambered in both if you can legally do it.

Hatchet, machete, or kukri to hand to your buddy who isn't skilled with a gun or who has been drinking.
12ga with slugs and buckshot.
Hardcopy map, ideally printed on silk or on waterproof paper.
Pair of walkie-talkies. Ideally with earphones.
Eye and ear protection. Ideally sound-amplifying ears.

I work near the Terwilliger off ramp in Portland, and live in Brush Prairie. I keep an inflatable raft in my car with my bag. Two major rivers to cross to get home. Bridges could become choke points and I feel better knowing I have an option even if it is unlikely I would ever need it.

I carry several hand warmers in each car all the time, and some in my BOB. Wet wipes and TP are good too. Plastic sheeting or tarp and rope for shelter in your truck just in case, and a good cold weather coat in winter.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top