JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I'm putting together a Go Bag to leave in my truck because I work in Beaverton and live in Camas, Wa. My concerns stems from the ice storm last year that took me four hours to get home, the latest weather and fire issues this year, and the threat of North Korea looming over us. I'm also considering other possibles like a total lock down traffic issue where nothing is moving and I need to leave my truck, the I-5 and 205 bridge is out ETC. Keep in mind its to be left in my truck while at work. Here are some of the things I've packed so far:
Strong backpack
Change of clothes, hat, gloves, rain gear and boots. Ice cleats for boots
Knife, flashlight, multi tool and 25' of rope
7 days of daily meds and small first aide kit
lighter, Mylar blanket, Zip-loc bags assorted sizes.
2 bottles of water, several protein bars, bags of nuts.
Tooth brush and paste.
Optional Pistol, extra mag and 25 rounds of ammo because of location {WORK}.
Its starting to get heavy and ounces equals pounds so what else do I need? any ideas?o_O

I'd add some things that you could have in your truck and use if you were at the truck but could abandon. I have a sleeping bag and an extra set of clothes on top of what you have. Also an extra warm top like a fleece. 2 gallons of water. a small camp stove, tin cup small pan. I have some dehydrated potatoes and a couple MREs. Instant coffee and tea.

If I can stay with the truck and it makes sense, then I keep them. If not they stay with the truck and I walk home.

I think you might be advised to find a buddy who lives near work. And be a buddy for someone that might get caught out near your home. Seems to have an emergency contact list for shelter might not be a bad thing. I know several people on the list in Beaverton and other places. If I get caught in Newberg or where ever I know there's a port in a storm.

How'd you get home in 4 hours? Took me 5 and I had much less distance to go than you, also work in Beaverton. The smartest move was the fella I work with who, when he hit the first group of cars all stuck there in the snow, simply parked his car (off the road), and walked over to the max. It was still running. Next work day, he took max in and after work walked to his car and drove home. Me = 5 hours, him = @1 hour

BTW, comfortable walking shoes and a lifestraw or other filter, along with a water bottle, are necessary in my view. Trade out the flashlight for a headlamp, and leave the rope in the truck. I always use to have the sleeping bag in the car, but then I got a car with no hiding spot for it. Now I have the Mexican blanket across the back seat. It keeps the dogs muddy paws off the seat and I can wrap up in it in an emergency (only once so far). The space blanket like you have is in my go bag for those walking times.

ps, the headlamp instead of a flashlight thing will become much more valuable the first time you have to change a tire in the dark:) Right now in my commuter car I have @ 3 flashlights and 3 or 4 headlamps. I use the headlamps about 3 to 1 over the flashlights.

Last Edited:
Yea, if it's heavy now wait 'til you add some water. Maybe consider a craigslist baby stroller/runner dealy to toss in the back of the truck to boot.

I've posted these two items several times; if I lived in a city where rivers are key terrain; an inflatable dingy or raft and a set of bolt cutters would be handy...

We keep an inflatable raft in the trunk of the car, in one of those ice chests that has wheels. We'll be able to cross the Willamette, and then use the wheeled cooler to help carry stuff as we make our way home. Anything to help the old knees.

Everything has really bean mentioned. I would have to go through my pack to know if there is something missing. The one thing that pops to my pea brain is you said optional on the pistol and ammo.

Not optional. With out a way to defend yourself everything you have or need to get home could go away quickly. o_O

We keep an inflatable raft in the trunk of the car, in one of those ice chests that has wheels. We'll be able to cross the Willamette, and then use the wheeled cooler to help carry stuff as we make our way home. Anything to help the old knees.

Excellent!

We went as far as conducting a reconnaissance of possible xing sites and selected rally points for my family members who live in Salem..:D

Everything has really bean mentioned. I would have to go through my pack to know if there is something missing. The one thing that pops to my pea brain is you said optional on the pistol and ammo.

Not optional. With out a way to defend yourself everything you have or need to get home could go away quickly. o_O

I work in an office building and they tend to frown on firearms in the office. I don't like leaving my pistol in a car that could get broken into and stolen.

Top of my head, I'd replace or add to the mylar sheet with a mylar based emergency sleeping bag.

IMG_1375.JPG
I would probably carry the two bottles of water in my vehicle, but I'd have a purification straw. Three seasons, look around, do I need to carry water or find a puddle?

Last Edited:
Something to consider with Lifestraw, if there is any water in them and the freeze they can be ruined. It even has this information on their website. Once it has been used once they recommend never letting if freeze, so this means it can't be left in a car over winter without risk. They have also been known to be fragile.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews