JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was disassembling my Ruger SR1911 yesterday to lube it as I have not for a long time, I must have over tightened one of them the last time I took it apart because the damn screw head completely rounded out almost all the way.

Ruger used some really cheap torx grip screw as the teeth on all of them have started to strip a little. I should have just replaced them a long time.

I really didn't want to have to try and drill it out so I read a bunch and saw a video of guys JB Welding the bit in the screw letting it sit over night and then it comes out.

So that's what I am doing I will let you guys know tomorrow if it worked.

826078A8-CF21-4040-8E90-437192436F28.jpeg

A dremel with a small cutting wheel. cut a slot and use a straight blade screw driver. use an "easy out" if one fits the allen hole. Sacrifice the grips. grab screw head with a vise grip.

I've done the convert it to a flat head and it works well. Just use the cutting wheel until it is much smaller and then it won't wreck the grips.

Also, if a torx bit rounds out, you can often use an Allen wrench at that point.

I like the JB weld idea honestly. You only loose a 20¢ bit:cool:

I need to buy new grip screws now, I want to get allen or torx as I don't like the look of philips or flat blade.

Do I have to replace the bushings also? Some sights with the screws it seems like you have to.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews