JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I didn't realize how old this thread was until just now.

Even if we have serious stockpiles, they are not usually of everything.
My HMO will only provide me with Rx drugs for up to a 90 day supply. So whatever happens, I hope it gets resolved within that time frame. But when disaster hits, I might be be on my 80th day with only ten days left.

One time we took a cruise to Mexico. Ever the half-assed survivalist / prepper, I went in to a Mexican pharmacy and bought several Rx. drugs that I thought would be good to stockpile. Subsequently, their "use by" date came and went and I wound up throwing them away.

I've gotten old trying to anticipate SHTF, Armageddon, or whatever. The natural disaster thing can never be predicted. The idea of massive civil disobedience, riot, commotion, etc., on a persistent, wide-spread basis is another thing. On that subject, I'm now thinking that slow corrosion (as we are seeing everywhere in nearly every way) is a lot more likely than a burst of mass, crazy violence.

I didn't realize how old this thread was until just now.

My HMO will only provide me with Rx drugs for up to a 90 day supply. So whatever happens, I hope it gets resolved within that time frame. But when disaster hits, I might be be on my 80th day with only ten days left.

One time we took a cruise to Mexico. Ever the half-assed survivalist / prepper, I went in to a Mexican pharmacy and bought several Rx. drugs that I thought would be good to stockpile. Subsequently, their "use by" date came and went and I wound up throwing them away.

I've gotten old trying to anticipate SHTF, Armageddon, or whatever. The natural disaster thing can never be predicted. The idea of massive civil disobedience, riot, commotion, etc., on a persistent, wide-spread basis is another thing. On that subject, I'm now thinking that slow corrosion (as we are seeing everywhere in nearly every way) is a lot more likely than a burst of mass, crazy violence.
The Amazon pharmacy will refill a week or two before the actual refill date and lately they allow me to order before their refill date - the timing is a bit weird - e.g., my next refill data is in September, but I looked yesterday and they said I could order now.

I started using Amazon about 3 years ago, and between their refill policy and getting a script renewed by my doctor (which caused it to immediately be eligible for refill, even if I had a refill yesterday), I extra heart/BP meds. My cardiologist often wants to see me twice a year so I get renewals if I am close to needing them.

In short, the overlap has worked well enough to get enough extra so that I have about a year's worth of meds.

My muscle relaxants (Robaxin) too - I went in for my yearly general checkup and told the NP that I could not even feel one 500 mg pill, that two I could feel, but sometimes I needed three - so she upped my script from one to three as necessary and allowed for 90 days worth. Since I take these "as needed" I often go a week or two without taking any, unless I am doing some strenuous chores - but I refill when possible - so I have plenty. That means I no longer skimp if I am really hurting - I take what I need to alleviate the pain (1500 mg is the "starting dose" so three 500 mg pills has worked for pain that keeps me awake - so far - although the half life is 2 hours).

I'm a "Get off my lawn" type of American!!!

Screenshot_20230808_154553_DuckDuckGo-01.jpeg

I've come to think that SHTF isn't going to come as a sudden, apocalyptic event. It's just going to come creeping along incrementally. Like what is happening now. It only requires a society that permits lawlessness and lack of order. The first time that a blue tarp was allowed to remain on public property it started. Since then, arrests for anything less than a felony have been suspended in many locations. People are let go from arrests on appearance tickets. Illegal immigrants are released for appearance some time in the future. Graffiti is everywhere and nobody seems to care anymore. Shoplifting and just blatant stealing from retail stores are allowed without apprehension. The worst part of this is, once this behavior is permitted, it's 100 times harder to reverse the process than it was to maintain basic order in the first place. Because of the entitlement factor. Those who've benefited from this societal corrosion take it as a right. I mean, come on, it's just basic common sense that you don't allow people to set up a tent on a sidewalk, or crap in the street, or walk out of stores without paying. Yet somehow or another, it's been decided by people in power that these lawbreakers have a right to this. Make no mistake, a large component of chronic vagrancy is a choice of lifestyle. It is something that society has allowed them a choice in, so it's an option for them. The blame for this is often attributed to drug use ("substance abuse"). Well, there's another story about permissiveness that shouldn't have been allowed.

Mistake. Pharmaceuticals remain active long after the so-called expiration date, esp if stored in a cool, dry, dark place such as a basement pantry. In the U.S., prescription drugs are routinely labeled discard 1 year from date the Rx was filled. This is completely unnecessary. Anything unused when a new refill is received should go in your survival stash.

That said, this company says they will provide a 1-year emergency supply of Rx drugs. I have not used them and know nothing about them other than what I have seen advertised. I am providing the link below for informational purposes only:

Mistake. Pharmaceuticals remain active long after the so-called expiration date,
Well, I did keep them for many years after the exp. date. As some were antibiotics, there was a point after which I didn't want to take a chance on them (in the event I may have needed them) for the amount of money saved that was involved.

Some meds do fade away. I had some happy pills prescribed for use after surgeries that were left over. Taken many years later, they were no more effective than Tylenol. The narcotic component was no longer active.

So long as we aren't in SHTF mode, I'm going to rely on drugs as fresh as I can get.

Some meds do fade away. I had some happy pills prescribed for use after surgeries that were left over. Taken many years later, they were no more effective than Tylenol. The narcotic component was no longer active.
I still have some different kinds of oxy/hydro/etc pain pills from surgeries/injuries. I rarely take them - I think the last time was a 2-3 years ago at least. I only take them if OTC meds don't work. I did notice that the oldest of these have pretty much faded.

I was told by my cardiologist that the sublingual nitro pills I had lasted only a few months - they didn't do any good for me anyway - I am pretty sure that the pain I had was not angina anyway.

I was told by my cardiologist that the sublingual nitro pills I had lasted only a few months - they didn't do any good for me anyway - I am pretty sure that the pain I had was not angina anyway.
One of my crosses to bear is a cardiac anomaly. At one time, I was prescribed with and advised to carry around nitro pills. I never used them. At the time they were prescribed, I was told that once you open the container, they start to go bad rather quickly. Renewal of unopened nitro pill bottles is recommended every six months.

Two issues with taking past date Rx. 1. Is there any direct harm coming from it? Some antibiotics have shown to have negative effects once they get old. 2. Taking something expired, you may or may not realize it isn't being effective for the condition for which it was taken. Happy pills, yes, you can tell if they are stale. But (as an extreme example), how would you know if an expired anti-coagulant medication was doing the job?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top