JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Been waiting for long time.....
:):s0004::s0023:

Gun rights backers to begin airing ads as anti-gunners play Chicken Little

Washington State backers of Initiative 591, which prohibits gun confiscation without due process and requires background checks to comply with a uniform national standard, will begin airing advertisements for their measure on Monday, the Associated Press is reporting today.

<broken link removed>

If we vote no on 594, why do we need to vote yes on 591?

I honestly don't know, not trying to start a big debate or anything.

BE IT ENACTED BY THE PEOPLE OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON:
NEW SECTION. Sec. 1. A new section is added to chapter 9.41 RCW to read as follows:
It is unlawful for any government agency to confiscate guns or other firearms from citizens without due process.
NEW SECTION. Sec. 2. A new section is added to chapter 9.41 RCW to read as follows:
It is unlawful for any government agency to require background checks on the recipient of a firearm unless a uniform national standard is required.

If 594 loses and 591 passes, that new Section 2 of 591 would block next years attempt at a new version of 594.

Reminds me. I need to throw another fiver their way this week. What's happening in Washington may just happen here in Oregon as well...

Oregon is already in the works, so is Nevada. Both are on the slate to be hit next year with more to follow if we don't send them a clear message that these initiatives are going to be a failure.

If 594 loses and 591 passes, that new Section 2 of 591 would block next years attempt at a new version of 594.

Now that is an argument I might be able to sell. Add that to the fact that gun laws that infringe should not be allowed at any level of government and it gives a good reason to vote yes on I-591.

Oregon is already in the works, so is Nevada. Both are on the slate to be hit next year with more to follow if we don't send them a clear message that these initiatives are going to be a failure.

Now that is an argument I might be able to sell. Add that to the fact that gun laws that infringe should not be allowed at any level of government and it gives a good reason to vote yes on I-591.

Here is the biggest problem I see within the firearms community. Saying that's so doesn't mean squat. Making it so requires some hard work by A LOT of people, not just a handful.

Do you know why we're in the position we're in right now? Because far too many of us are complacent about government until we're in trouble, and wondering why the NRA or CCRKBA didn't prevent this.

There are people reading this forum right now who don't even know their own state representatives, or who they voted for city council or county commission or even the local school board.

There are people reading this forum right now who didn't vote and don't plan to vote because they have convinced themselves to feed their laziness by imagining that their vote doesn't matter. And then they complain that Gottlieb or LaPierre didn't do this or should have done that.

Get up off your butts and get in the game!

I'm tired of carrying your water, and so are a lot of other people who are reading this forum right now; the good people who understand we're not in this just for laughs and a little cameraderie.

There are people reading this forum right now who not only DO know their state legislator, they've made darn sure their legislator knows who they are. They've attended a precinct caucus, they find out what their lawmaker is up to and they let that person know they're watching.

They have become a "go to" resources for gun issues and information. They post yard signs or bumper stickers, talk to their fellow workers, ring a few doorbells, and kick in a buck or two to the cause.

You can help support I-591 today, right now.

Click here and donate $5.91, or $59.10, and then read every conversation here and on other forums about the "dueling initiatives." Learn about these measures — without making up stuff — and FIGHT.

THERE WENT MY BLOOD PRESSURE AGAIN..

You can help support I-591 today, right now.

Click here and donate $5.91, or $59.10, and then read every conversation here and on other forums about the "dueling initiatives." Learn about these measures — without making up stuff — and FIGHT.

THERE WENT MY BLOOD PRESSURE AGAIN..

Why must I provide my employer for my personal donation?

edit: nevermind, read the disclaimer etc.

Here is the biggest problem I see within the firearms community. Saying that's so doesn't mean squat. Making it so requires some hard work by A LOT of people, not just a handful......

Dave is right.
From what I've noticed in the last two years since I've gotten involved is that the gun community acts like a 800lb gorilla: when threatened we rise up and are hard to beat. But we are unorganized and not very effective when not being directly threatened. In the past the gun-control lobby has been smaller and more fragmented. But with money from people like Bloomberg, they can afford to not be efficient, and can spend the money to slowly build their base and influence. Or to try things like the ballot initiative in Washington (which makes me wonder if Oregon shouldn't try and get something like 591 in place first).

Next month, the Oregon Alliance to Prevent Gun Violence (conglomeration of Ceasefire, MomsDemandAction, and Brady Campaign) will be sponsoring a Lobby day in the state capitol. Bus from Portland, lunch, classes all paid for. No way they can afford it on local donations based on their local memberships numbers. The classes sound like they will be on organizing, messaging, marketing, etc. Do we have anything similar?

Right now the gun-control lobby is not very organized or supported by enthusiastic volunteers. But I see them slowly getting organized, thanks to force-multipliers of money from billionaires like Bloomberg.

What do I fear? That one year what we do now will not work. And we will not "evolve" with and be able to counter what the opposition is doing, despite our greater numbers and passion. I fear that may be a time closer than we think if they are planning to start a ballot initiative in Oregon next year. Will we be able to effectively communicate in our local communities? Will we have a better plan than Washington?

Currently, I think there is a gap between organizations like OFF and the passionate individuals who follow the news and show-up at the gun-rally, or call in to legislators when alerted by OFF. But I think we will need to do more in the future.

Some info from the anti camp. Here come their scare tactics.

Hey friend --

This is bad -- really bad.

About an hour after I sent you the email below on T‌hu‌rs‌day, it happened: The gun lobby's first ad hit the Internet -- and will hit the Washington airwaves M‌on‌da‌y.

The ad is scary because it's confusing -- but what's even scarier is that we know from our research that it is exactly the kind of ad that can confuse voters into voting against commonsense reforms like 594.

We need to act fast and respond quickly -- click here to rush a contribution of $3 to our rapid response fund before our Sunday deadline.

We knew this was coming, and now we have to respond.

More soon -- thanks!

Zach Silk
Campaign Manager
Yes on 594

--- Original Message ---
From: Zach Silk, Washington Alliance for Gun Responsibility
Subject: This is how we'll lose

Hey friend --

Managing a campaign is always stressful -- especially when the result could literally be a matter of life and death.

And a lot of my friends don't understand why I'm so stressed out all the time -- with Yes on 594 supported by 70% of voters. They just don't get why our staff keep working such long hours.

Here's why I'm worried, and why our team is working so hard: The last time Washington voters got a chance to pass reforms to our gun laws was in 1997 on Initiative 676. It was sailing to victory with 65% support and everyone thought they couldn't lose. But then, after Labor Day, the gun lobby flooded the state with misleading TV ads and outspent the pro-reform supporters FOUR TO ONE.

And Initiative 676 went down in flames -- losing 71% to 29%.

2014 could be a repeat of 1997 if we're not prepared -- and I need your help to make sure Washington doesn't get fooled by the gun lobby again.

Our families can't afford a repeat of 1997 -- step up today with a contribution of $3 before August 31 to make sure we can fight back against the gun lobby's eleventh-hour lies and distortions.

The gun lobby has been biding its time hoping we would get complacent -- but make no mistake: They're committed to defeating Initiative 594.

We know their plan: Wait, and as the election gets close, flood the zone with so many ads that even Richard Sherman and the Legion of Boom would have a tough time defending it.

The ONLY way we can stop them is to push hard and consistently from now through Election Day -- and that's not just a lot of hard work, it's very expensive.

We absolutely can't afford to let up now -- step up today with a contribution of $3 to make sure that we can withstand the post-Labor Day gun lobby push.

I hate to be the guy dumping a bucket of ice water on all the enthusiasm around Yes on 594 -- we have a lot to be proud of already. But too much is at stake for us to think we can coast to victory.

History proves that -- no matter what the polls say now -- we've got a HUGE fight on our hands. And we need to be ready.

Thanks for taking this so seriously.

Zach Silk
Campaign Manager
Yes on 594

It does seem odd that the NRA is not more active in the WA state issue. I am both a WAC and NRA member. WAC has, from what I've seen, been a primary voice in the fight, but seemingly nothing from the NRA....why is that?

WA could arguably be considered an indicator species in the gun rights debate. One of the most gun friendly states in the union (at least for now) would seem all too important to NRA's long term mission. Maybe they are just waiting until the last minute to start their campaign... I sure hope that is the case!

It does seem odd that the NRA is not more active in the WA state issue. I am both a WAC and NRA member. WAC has, from what I've seen, been a primary voice in the fight, but seemingly nothing from the NRA....why is that?

WA could arguably be considered an indicator species in the gun rights debate. One of the most gun friendly states in the union (at least for now) would seem all too important to NRA's long term mission. Maybe they are just waiting until the last minute to start their campaign... I sure hope that is the case!

If they wait until the last minute, it won't be much of a campaign, and it'll be too late.

It's up to us, looks like. No room for shirkers or chest-thumping keyboard commandos.

If they wait until the last minute, it won't be much of a campaign, and it'll be too late.

It's up to us, looks like. No room for shirkers or chest-thumping keyboard commandos.
Well, I'm hoping it is a strategy they are planning; perhaps knowing that I-594 was going to get way more money thrown its way my the liberal elite, they would wait until just weeks before voting day and hope the late rush will be a fresh bit of contrast to move anyone on the fence. If the NRA does not get into this fight with some gusto, I for one will be pissed. I have already sent an e-mail to NRA leaders asking they get in the game.

We can't count on the NRA and we have known from the start we would not be able to match the money they would throw at it. That means we have to go out there and talk to as many people as we can. We need to make sure that they know how bad I-594 is before they even open their ballot. While having money would help with the fight it's been demonstrated over an over again that if the grassroots will mobilize they can still win. Let's do so and show Bloomberg, Paul Allen, etc. that our rights are not for sale. They need a clear message that we are not going to let them endanger us here by enacting the same laws that have failed in places like NYC, Chicago, and DC. We are already well below the national average here and don't need to follow in their footsteps. On the contrary if they really want to reduce crime in those places then perhaps they should start taking an example from us instead.

Well, I'm hoping it is a strategy they are planning; perhaps knowing that I-594 was going to get way more money thrown its way my the liberal elite, they would wait until just weeks before voting day and hope the late rush will be a fresh bit of contrast to move anyone on the fence. If the NRA does not get into this fight with some gusto, I for one will be pissed. I have already sent an e-mail to NRA leaders asking they get in the game.

If the NRA doesn't get involved, then no matter what the outcome of the election, I will be canceling my membership. I've already told their phone guy soliciting donations that I will donate generously if they start running ads, but until they show they're going to, no money for them, all my money has been going to Gottliebs group.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top