JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
OK, I didn't say black once. You sure turn a lot of things around to suit your opinion. I don't care what color the THUG is. He was a thug.

Why would you need to say black? We all know his race. You made the distinction between two men by using Thug to label the black guy. I have no interest in arguing this with you. I'm just leaving my opinion that for anyone that's been alive for the last 50 years knows what thug means when it's used as a way to label a black man. You aren't gonna change my mind. But feel free to defend yourself and convince anyone else. Some of us don't have the luxury to ignore historical context of how words are used in the real world.

Just food for thought, but since this has become about race, would anyone feel any differently if the races were reversed?

What if the wannabe meter-maid traffic cop guy was an older black guy, and the younger couple was a pair of southern redneck, trailer park white folks? Everything goes down exactly the same. Would anyone feel any differently about it? Or if the older guy was Native American and the young tough was Asian? It's all irrelevant as far as I'm concerned. (Other than some possible racist attitudes on the part of the shooter

The previous behavior and racist comments of Mr. Parking Cop are relevant only in that they provide insight into his mindset. Did he pull the trigger because he was legitimately in fear for his life, or did he pull the trigger because he was angry at having been attacked? If it was the latter then he needs to be charged with murder and go to jail. Just because the victim was a violent criminal doesn't make it any less murder. (I'm not saying it was murder, necessarily. I wasn't there and I don't particularly know the whole story, but it doesn't look good)

I guess I didn't realize that the word "thug" is a racist word either. When I hear the word I think of an Italian gangster bodyguard or something. In my mind a burly hotheaded jerk is a bad person no matter their ethnic background; whether it's an angry tough guy from the inner city, a drunken Oregon logger with a beard and a hickory shirt, a trailer park redneck in a beer-stained wife-beater, maybe a Chinese gangster with a chip on his shoulder. Any racial bad-guy stereotypes I missed? :)

I was raised to believe in the ideal of a colorblind society. Somehow we missed that and everything is still always all about race.

Just food for thought, but since this has become about race, would anyone feel any differently if the races were reversed?

What if the wannabe meter-maid traffic cop guy was an older black guy, and the younger couple was a pair of southern redneck, trailer park white folks? Everything goes down exactly the same. Would anyone feel any differently about it? Or if the older guy was Native American and the young tough was Asian? It's all irrelevant as far as I'm concerned.

The previous behavior and racist comments of Mr. Parking Cop are relevant only in that they provide insight into his mindset. Did he pull the trigger because he was legitimately in fear for his life, or did he pull the trigger because he was angry at have been attacked? If it was the latter then he needs to be charged with murder and go to jail. Just because the victim was a violent criminal doesn't make it any less murder. (I'm not saying it was murder, necessarily. I wasn't there and I don't particularly know the whole story)

I guess I didn't realize that the word "thug" is a racist word either. When I hear the word I think of an Italian gangster bodyguard or something. In my mind a burly hotheaded jerk is a bad person no matter their ethnic background; whether it's an angry tough guy from the inner city, a drunken Oregon logger with a beard and a hickory shirt, a trailer park redneck in a beer-stained wife-beater, maybe a Chinese gangster with a chip on his shoulder. Any racial bad-guy stereotypes I missed?

I was raised to believe in the ideal of a colorblind society. Somehow we missed that and everything is still always all about race.

Are you black, or do you have black family? I can assure you either does not have the luxury of a colorblind world. I don't doubt anything you've said, but it would be wise to educate yourself on an experience other than your own.

One thing that is being missed is, Girl parks in H-C Thug 1 gets out and leaves. Guy 2 comes up and says your in a H-C. Girl say's SO. Argument starts. Guy 1 comes out of store Girl gets out of car Guy 2 has no clue about Thug 1 and gets blind sided knocked to ground. So when you look at it in court first part does not mean a tinkers damn. The only part that will count is when Thug 1 started it. Now the part that is going to count Thug 1 violently pushed Guy 2 he hits the ground Thug 1 steps back to ready him self for further conflict Guy 2 pulls gun Thug 1 says AH SHEET turns to duck bullet. To late Guy 2 has already started to pull trigger can't stop it or the bullet. Lawyer will say it all happened so fast Guy 1 couldn't know what was going to happen next and protected himself form further injury and assault from maybe from girl also. Which happens a lot.
Now if it does go to court Guy 2 lawyer will show Girl is unreliable witness. 1 In vid she said no place else to park Vid shows other wise. 2 she said thought he was going to kill my whole family, nothing showing that. Past encounter with Guy 2 had will not have any effect because nothing come of it and will show Thug 1 was the bad guy by being way to aggressive.
You assume much.
We do not know, from the video, what the shooter was saying to the woman in the car.
We do not know, from the video, what the woman in the car said back to him.
We do not know, from the video, that the "thug" was stepping back with an intention of furthering the conflict.
What we do know from the video...is that the moment the guy on the ground drew his gun, the guy who pushed him retreated and began turning away before being shot.

This is a bit off topic, but: racial attitudes and relationships are very complex. You hear white people say that there is no racism anymore and black people should just get over it, then you hear black people say that all white people are inherently racist, and the color of their skin defines their every waking moment. How can those two extremes ever try to understand each other, especially if they never try? I'm inclined to think that, as usual, the truth lies somewhere in the middle.

I know this sounds terribly cliche, but the best we can do is try to understand why people have the attitudes that they do, and just try to be respectful to everyone, even when we're baffled as to why they act the way they do.

OK, I didn't say black once. You sure turn a lot of things around to suit your opinion. I don't care what color the THUG is. He was a thug.
Based upon the shooters history of racist harrassment towards black people at the store, it would appear that he did care what color the "thug" was.

This is a bit off topic, but: racial attitudes and relationships are very complex. You hear white people say that there is no racism anymore and black people should just get over it, then you hear black people say that all white people are inherently racist, and the color of their skin defines their every waking moment. How can those two extremes ever try to understand each other, especially if they never try? I'm inclined to think that, as usual, the truth lies somewhere in the middle.

I know this sounds terribly cliche, but the best we can do is try to understand why people have the attitudes that they do, and just try to be respectful to everyone, even when we're baffled as to why they act the way they do.

I think we understand when we stop letting media, group think, and biased bullbubblegum influence how we see other people. And all are guilty of this, and it takes an act of will and desire to actually break free of thinking in a way that is mostly determined by how those around us influence us. Segregation, self oriented, or otherwise also needs to end. I think we gotta stop focusing on the bubblegum were fed by those that wish us to stay this way, and focus on turning off the tv or lap top and remembering that most any day you can walk down the street and have a nice talk with anyone of any culture or race and find common ground. There will always be radicals, doesn't mean we let them define us, or write the narrative.

Eyetalians used to be called thugs, but the word traditionally has been used to describe any ruffian.

If "thug" now means black, that is because it's been twisted. I'm not buying it. This is what I mean when I use the word, I really don't care what others think I mean. I learned English in Catholic school, not PCenglish:

thug
THəɡ/
noun
noun: thug; plural noun: thugs; noun: Thug
a violent person, especially a criminal.
synonyms: ruffian, hooligan, vandal, hoodlum, gangster, villain, criminal;

I wonder if he harassed white (or Hispanic, or Asian) people who illegally parked in handicapped parking spots, or if he gave them a pass. Honestly, I do wonder. I wonder if he'd have shot some burly, white Bubba who knocked him down?

I have absolutely no use whatsoever for racism, but it doesn't seem to me like that's the big issue here. It sounds more like the guy was a nut with the gun who liked to play cop.

Eyetalians used to be called thugs, but the word traditionally has been used to describe any ruffian.

If "thug" now means black, that is because it's been twisted. I'm not buying it. This is what I mean when I use the word, I really don't care what others think I mean. I learned English in Catholic school, not PCenglish:

thug
THəɡ/
noun
noun: thug; plural noun: thugs; noun: Thug
a violent person, especially a criminal.
synonyms: ruffian, hooligan, vandal, hoodlum, gangster, villain, criminal;

You think you're the first person to pull this exact same argument when this subject is brought up? Try again, no ones buying it but you.

You think you're the first person to pull this exact same argument when this subject is brought up? Try again, no ones buying it but you.

Well, learn something new every day. I honestly had absolutely no idea that the word "thug" was racially loaded. Somehow I missed this in MY half century of life. I will be cautious to avoid using this word from now on.

Well, learn something new every day. I honestly had absolutely no idea that the word "thug" was racially loaded. Somehow I missed this in MY half century of life. I will be cautious to avoid using this word from now on.

I absolutely respect you for looking at it as a learning experience. My hat goes of to you. You seem like a bright guy.

Interesting; I did a quick Google search and from the results I can see that the PC police have fully determined that the word "thug" is the new "N-word".

I will say two things about that. First, I always avoid inflammatory language. I see no point in deliberately offending anyone. If true racists have collectively decided that they want to use that word now as a racial slur, I will never use it. I don't want to be associated with that.

Second, if you think that anyone who uses the word "thug" is a racist, then you are really, really ignorant. I expect that there is a large percentage of the American population that has absolutely no idea that the word has taken on racist connotations. It's not a word that has any inherent racial meaning.

"No please don't kill me! I Surrender!"

"bubblegum you! I'll kill you!"

Makes a difference, especially in court if it ever got there.

Do you really think THUG had time to say anything. You have to be the most RACIALLY CHARGED person I have ever run a cross. I'm so sorry you have had such a bad life. May God help the rest of the way!

Do you really think THUG had time to say anything. You have to be the most RACIALLY CHARGED person I have ever run a cross. I'm so sorry you have had such a bad life. May God help the rest of the way!

Yes.

Ever? Well it's a big world out there, might wanna try exploring some new ground. God is always with me :)

Status

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads