JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This is me in 1977 during my stay in Elizabeth City, NC for USCG Avionics School... that was the last time I used a ham band radio.

Photos&Scans 010.jpg

Wife bought one of those deals while back that uses satellite for texting. She can activate it when or if she wants to use it. When I saw this article the first thing I thought was something like this would be a life saver.
The guy who almost died also of course did everything wrong. Going to go off roading like that in a place like that he should have told people. So when he did not come back first day someone could have altered people to start looking. He got real lucky he was found in time.

The guy who almost died also of course did everything wrong. Going to go off roading like that in a place like that he should have told people. So when he did not come back first day someone could have altered people to start looking. He got real lucky he was found in time.

I read in one of the articles that he was also diabetic. Very lucky indeed.

Anyone noticed that authorities said the Jeep Cherokee likely will be stuck for a long time? Don't tow companies or even rescue agencies have off road/4x4/6x6 recovery vehicles to use?

Edit. Different article with little more info

Childs play for serious off roaders as it is a two track road for heavens sake. I am sure a off road club or some members would relish the chance to help the guy get his jeep back. Where we hunt in Montana we are further than that from civilization and bring all the gear needed to self extract and have done so many times as well as extract several people who were ill prepared.

We have stories...
My wife used one while in SoCal while on a boy scout hike to help save a Marine. He got separated from his friends on a mountain, she reached me using Spot. I contacted SAR, who were just about to set off in search of the lad. He spent the night with the scouts (they were prepared after all), and hiked out in the morning. This was using a Spot.

We have now moved to the Garmin, In Reach. My son does mountaineering and he pings us with his location and messages when he gets to camp. He can also leave electronic bread crumbs while on a glacier. My wife is traveling now and has it as a cell back up for the area she is in (being sat. based it works better in some areas, like the middle of nowhere).

Yes, there is a monthly fee and, last I checked, there were some different levels of service (numbers of messages before extra charges I believe). For us, great piece of mind in many situations for backpacking, remote travel and mountaineering. Hope that helps.

Do you have to use a subscription for the whole year or can you pay per month of use?
For a spot or like that is.

I would want that type to communicate and use a beacon for emergencies, but I don't spend enough time in the woods to make it worth having a 12 mth subscription (sadly)

Do you have to use a subscription for the whole year or can you pay per month of use?
For a spot or like that is.

I would want that type to communicate and use a beacon for emergencies, but I don't spend enough time in the woods to make it worth having a 12 mth subscription (sadly)

The one Wife has was Delorme, she said Garmin bought them. She has hers off right now but can turn it on any time she wants. She said she can sign back up and then turn it back off so no contract. So if you want to use it now and then you would pay for a month. By now they may have other plans too. As with all "tech" stuff keeps getting better and cheaper.

My personal take is that multiple options is the way to go. Have a charged cell phone, dual-band radio programmed for local repeaters before heading out, and a satellite locator beacon should all else fail. With my $45 Chinese Baofeng handheld transceiver I can hit repeaters 25 miles away if they're on a mountain peak.

And, of course, extra food, water, backup shelter, first aid, sun block, backpack to carry the stuff, insulin if you're diabetic, and, as previously mentioned, tell someone where the hell you're going by yourself...

Last Edited:
I could not find a radio prohibition doing a search on the e-regulations either. So maybe I'm wrong or my information is stale. Wouldn't be the first time. Using radios to direct or control (herd) wildlife was prohibited at least in 2010 and 2011. That's when I bought my first handhelds and I checked. You could have them with you and carry them but if ODFW observed you using them or listened in to you using them to aid in your hunt you could be fined.

I'll call and ask on Monday cause I'm definitely curious. I still like OnX and Garmin and damn autocorrect.

I could not find a radio prohibition doing a search on the e-regulations either. So maybe I'm wrong or my information is stale. Wouldn't be the first time. Using radios to direct or control (herd) wildlife was prohibited at least in 2010 and 2011. That's when I bought my first handhelds and I checked. You could have them with you and carry them but if ODFW observed you using them or listened in to you using them to aid in your hunt you could be fined.

I'll call and ask on Monday cause I'm definitely curious. I still like OnX and Garmin and damn autocorrect.

OK, now something like that I could easily see. It would make sense they may not want hunters using them like that. Just could not see them making it blanket that you could not use one for your own safety or to keep track of people you were with.

I read in one of the articles that he was also diabetic. Very lucky indeed.

Unless he's an insulin dependent diabetic it wouldn't be critical. Even those would be ok for awhile, not eating means less shots or even no shots. Taking shot and then not eating tho is not good since low blood sugar is more dangerous than moderately high blood sugars. But the thing with diabetes is that it's a systemic multi-organ disease. Meaning that type 2 diabetics are often in poor health, and that all diabetics are generally more susceptible to heat.

My personal take is that multiple options is the way to go. Have a charged cell phone, dual-band radio programmed for local repeaters before heading out, and a satellite locator beacon should all else fail. With my $45 Chinese Baofeng handheld transceiver I can hit repeaters 25 miles away if they're on a mountain peak.

And, of course, extra food, water, backup shelter, first aid, sun block, backpack to carry the stuff, insulin if you're diabetic, and, as previously mentioned, tell someone where the hell you're going by yourself...

This would have solved all his problems:

10175.jpg

The radio prohibition comes into play with aircraft. In some locales you also cannot hunt the day you flew into an area.

I have a Spot - one of the early ones. I got it when I was riding my dirt bike off-road by myself. It works (they have a feature to track where you are on a map), but it often skipped certain locations due to poor visibility of the satellite.

When I retire and get back into riding, I will probably get a new one to ease the mind of my kids while I am out riding by myself.

Oh, and there was one lady on AdvRider who did (or does) a lot of adventure riding in remote areas - very common. Some years ago she was riding in the Hells Canyon area and had a breakdown. IIRC she had a Spot, but for some reason it had not been activated. After not showing up where others expected her to, someone contacted Spot, they activated it, they were able to locate her and the riding community sent help to get her back on the road.

The radio prohibition comes into play with aircraft. In some locales you also cannot hunt the day you flew into an area.

I have a Spot - one of the early ones. I got it when I was riding my dirt bike off-road by myself. It works (they have a feature to track where you are on a map), but it often skipped certain locations due to poor visibility of the satellite.

When I retire and get back into riding, I will probably get a new one to ease the mind of my kids while I am out riding by myself.
I would guess you would also have the smarts to tell the kids you went out. That seems to me to be the single biggest mistake this old guy made. Looks like he did not bother to tell anyone what he was doing or where. If he had the end of the first day authorities could have been notified. Surely when he did not return that night the next day they would have at least been looking.
I got lost as a Kid bird hunting one time. Was of course with adults. 75 during the day, got into the teens that night and all I had on was a light shirt. Fortunately I did have fire so could stay warm. I walked myself out to one of those ICMB sites they used to have scattered around in AZ. Those MP's who I walked up on probably talked about that the rest of their time in :s0112:
Later as an adult I had the sense that when I went, even with others, made sure people knew where I was going. So if I did not come back they would know to call.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top