JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Stranded southern Oregon man, 72, walked 14 miles over 4 days before mountain biker from Portland found him

I first heard this story from a friend of mine that is also friends with the cyclist, Tomas. Years ago I did a similar bikepacking trip and contemplated getting a Spot. At the time I deemed it "too expensive". Now I roll my eyes at how stupid that sounds. I think I'm going to go ahead and get one (they're running a summer rebate deal right now, too).

Anyone care to share Spot tracker experiences?

2-way radios?
Don't these require either a much taller antenna , or line of sight to be more effective, as well as being sure that people are on the same channel, else you're talking dead air?
I'm looking at similar devices... be more handy for me personally than radios due to the ability to have predetermined text updates... as opposed to requiring voice and hearing.

Don't these require either a much taller antenna , or line of sight to be more effective, as well as being sure that people are on the same channel, else you're talking dead air?
I'm looking at similar devices... be more handy for me personally than radios due to the ability to have predetermined text updates... as opposed to requiring voice and hearing.

I've been a two-way radio tech off and on since 1975. (When I wasn't doing home renovations, or home inspections.)

1. A taller/longer antenna can help. Antennas must be in some multiple or division of the wavelength. For instance, a 1/4 wave antenna, or a 1/2 wave antenna, or even a full wave antenna. Depending on the freq, antennas for handhelds have typically been 2" to 6". In the old days of low band for logging, a pack unit antenna could be 4' long. The HF antenna on the H3F Coast Guard helo was roughly 25'. In general, comparing a 1/4wave antenna to a 1/2 wave antenna, the longer antenna will provide more performance. Tho there are other aspects of radio wave propagation that come into play, for instance antenna design, such as whether the antenna is a dipole antenna in free air, or if it is a ground plane antenna or a yagi. Regarding the other metric for tallness, altitude/height of the antenna location relative to it's surrounding has a large effect. An antenna on the valley floor may talk to the entire valley, or not, but put it up higher in the air, and one will typically gain more coverage. See next item.

2. Shorter wavelengths are indeed line of sight. You will not be able to get over hills. That's why radio repeaters are on mountaintops. We even put them up in balloons for Forest Service use on fires to gain more coverage as line of sight increases. Longer wave freqs have a ground wave effect that will travel over some hills and around the curve of the ocean at sea. Even longer HF waves can travel between continents due to the old CB term "skip". (BTW the old 9' CB whip antennas were 1/4 wave antennas at roughly 27Mhz.)

3. IMO radios can be useful for hunting parties, but not much for a single hiker. Who ya gonna call? Gotta have somebody on the other end, and most radio shops will not set up radios on any of the emergency freqs unless you are personnel of that particular dept or have interagency responsibilities. For instance SAR typically has all the emergency services freqs, but a Ski Patrol member wouldn't. (Edit to add: That said, a public use radio such as a Motorola Talkabout or any of the typical Uniden type GMRS/FRS/MURS service units can help when somebody comes to look for you when you are overdue... IF they know what channel and code to call you on.)

4. IMO in places where there is no cellphone coverage, a sat beacon is a very prudent thing to have for outdoors enthusiasts. They work.

Last Edited:

I didn't buy a high end set but they have the option to scan the frequency spectrum.

Trees do deminish effective range so you won't get 34 miles like some advertise, but they do pretty well or you can perch up on a peak and get great reception.

I always leave a map and what channel I will have my radio on so my wife can pass it on to friends and search parties if it were to get that bad.

I also pack and plan to be stuck for much longer then the expected trip so baring a major injury that depletes my brain function I am pretty safe on my own in the woods.

they have the option to scan the frequency spectrum.

The entire freq spectrum???? Shirley, you jest! :p;):D

What gear are we talking about? And what freq service is it broadcasting/receiving on? Keep in mind there are ham radios, business band radios, emergency services radios, military radios, CB radios, marine radios, and public use radios (GMRS, etc).

Last Edited:
Anyone noticed that authorities said the Jeep Cherokee likely will be stuck for a long time? Don't tow companies or even rescue agencies have off road/4x4/6x6 recovery vehicles to use?

Edit. Different article with little more info

Two way radios have limits so if you are alone they may not be helpful. My BaoFerng doesn't reach very far so I might not be able to call for help like a Garmin InReach or Spot could.

Radios are also barred from use during hunting in Oregon. Being seen even using one is attention I prefer to avoid. Even innocent calls to find out when you are coming in can get you into trouble if ODFW thinks you are communicating where the herd is or that you just flushed an animal to your buddy who happens to be waiting down in the draw.
Regardless, I think two ways are worthwhile for camp and scouting.

I would like to hear what others use, too. Thanks

The entire freq spectrum???? Shirley, you jest! :p;):D

What gear are we talking about? And what freq service is it broadcasting/receiving on? Keep in mind there are ham radios, business band radios, emergency services radios, military radios, CB radios, marine radios, and public use radios (GMRS, etc).

It scans all the public channels.

It's a Motorola.

Didn't know about OR and hunting season. They are legal to use in WA as far as I know.

I've never felt the need to register to be able to use the repeaters but that would be an option if you didn't want to pay for a Sat phone.

It scans all the public channels.

It's a Motorola.

Didn't know about OR and hunting season. They are legal to use in WA as far as I know.

I've never felt the need to register to be able to use the repeaters but that would be an option if you didn't want to pay for a Sat phone.

Got it. Motorola makes a good public use freq radio. I still have my Talkabout FRS radio. My hunting party used to use them to coordinate lunchtime, downed animals, etc. Never heard it was illegal, but I am really not involved much any more. The biggest problem that I ran into as a 2-way service tech was people wanting me to sell them Marine band radios for hunting. Sorry bud, no can do. It's not that I was a purist, but I could have lost my license if it could be proven that I knew how they were going to use them.

Ham repeaters? Yeah, good stuff. Low band and 2 meter. Lots of coverage but I doubt you could get coverage down in the deep dark canyons like say, Hells Canyon. IDK, haven't been associated with a ham group ever. I know a few guys, but when you work with radios every day, well, your usually not anxious to do it in your spare time.

I have a Garmin Inreach. I like it, as I can send and receive text messages from my wife and family. If my plans change, or I need a pick-up somewhere, it is easy to send them a text showing where I am at, and where I plan to travel. I am on the lowest cost plan, and have not yet found a need for a higher cost one.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top