JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Inspect your Spike's Bolt Carriers closely. There's air between the bolts and the "stakes". As you can see in the photos, the "stakes" aren't even touching the bolts. Spike's needs to issue a recall on these. If they don't there's gonna be alot of pissed off folks with busted AR's. I emailed Spike's today and will update this thread when I hear back from them.

spikes air between the bolts and stakes 2.jpg spikes air between the bolts and stakes.jpg spikes clearly not staked at all.jpg spikes improperly staked 3.jpg spikes improperly staked.jpg

Last Edited:
So you are saying there is no recall, you want one because you feel your BCG was put together improperly?

yeah, "Recall" seems a bit drastic. I check all my gas key bolts when I get the BCG, about half the time I re-stake them, mostly because I got a fancy staking tool and I like to use it. In my opinion if you are not happy with how it's staked then it's up to you to improve it. As long as there is sufficient pressure on the screw it's probably not going to come loose (not saying I would not re-stake it, just that for most shooters it would probably work)

After looking at the pic a little closer I think those are fine. There is material raised over the head of the cap screw, If it is, those are "properly staked" for all intent and purposes. I think you are worked up over nothing.

I will say I would give them a bit more, I also don't think they are unsafe. I am by no means an expert but I have handled at least 80 BCG over the years, probably over a hundred, and that one is better than several I have seen.

Not saying is great, just that I don't think it's anything to get worked up about.

Last Edited:
If you look closer (the 2 first photos) you can see the "stakes" aren't even touching the bolts. It only 'appears' to be staked. If the bolts aren't touching, it isn't staked. And for $200 this thing should be able to restake itself. Here's Spikes Tactical's response to my email:

The BCG in the pictures is staked... and it's properly staked. What makes you think it's not?

John Dowhy
Customer Service/Crisis Management

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR