JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I'm losing faith in the world of QC.
This is like new and never mistreated, what the hell Daniel Defense?

I dry fired my DDMK18 pistol and the bolt catch release snapped off completely.
Now am I crazy or aren't these things supposed to be indestructible?

I kinda lost confidence in the game of QC if something as simple as one dry fire shot obliterated a metal part.

Thoughts

C900005E-399A-44D7-81FF-53A026116043.jpeg

Daniel Defense probably didn't cast/machine that one specific part; the bolt catch. They subcontract out to 3rd party suppliers for the little things it would seem. The only thing they manufacture is the upper and lower, and even then, they have to subcontract the forgings from the forge houses. So... DD didn't catch one bad cast part before installing into their lower; it's not the end of the world.

So I'm losing faith in the world of QC.
This is like new and never mistreated, what the hell Daniel Defense?

I dry fired my DDMK18 pistol and the bolt catch release snapped off completely.
Now am I crazy or aren't these things supposed to be indestructible?

I kinda lost confidence in the game of QC if something as simple as one dry fire shot obliterated a metal part.

Thoughts

View attachment 1489218
I had the same thing happen on a JP Rifles safety lever a few years back. I was fiddling with it fresh out of the box and it just fell apart.

Even "high end" brands have failures now and then. Unfortunately it's impossible to have 0% failures at high sales volumes. I wouldn't be too concerned about it as long as A) they fix it without any cost or hassle to you, and B) we don't start hearing about a big increase in DD failures.

I think the main lesson is that you always need to test your gear. Don't trust anything from anyone right out of the box.

I had the same thing happen on a JP Rifles safety lever a few years back. I was fiddling with it fresh out of the box and it just fell apart.

Even "high end" brands have failures now and then. Unfortunately it's impossible to have 0% failures at high sales volumes. I wouldn't be too concerned about it as long as A) they fix it without any cost or hassle to you, and B) we don't start hearing about a big increase in DD failures.

I think the main lesson is that you always need to test your gear. Don't trust anything from anyone right out of the box.
Thank you very much for your input

Daniel Defense probably didn't cast/machine that one specific part; the bolt catch. They subcontract out to 3rd party suppliers for the little things it would seem. The only thing they manufacture is the upper and lower, and even then, they have to subcontract the forgings from the forge houses. So... DD didn't catch one bad cast part before installing into their lower; it's not the end of the world.
I have a good feeling I'll be hearing back from them very soon. Thanks for your taking the time to respond with such insight.

How did you break the bolt catch by dry firing? It's not involved in pulling the trigger at all
Indeed.
Different story, I'll never forget the look of horror on my buddy's face every time I slammed the heel of my hand on the bolt release of his brand new frankenpistol.

The only thing indestructible on a DD is their rail system. They farm out work just like almost every other AR manufacturer and it's harder for them to maintain strict QC that way. They live and die by their rails and barrels, they're a basic AR in every way otherwise. Not saying they're not great, but they're not Gucci either.

The only thing indestructible on a DD is their rail system. They farm out work just like almost every other AR manufacturer and it's harder for them to maintain strict QC that way. They live and die by their rails and barrels, they're a basic AR in every way otherwise. Not saying they're not great, but they're not Gucci either.
Is that what the grizzly bears you hang out with say?

I saw this particular part fail dozens of times during my time in Vietnam, and every time it happened it was caused by dropping the hammer with the upper receiver either removed or pivoted forward.

Indeed.
Different story, I'll never forget the look of horror on my buddy's face every time I slammed the heel of my hand on the bolt release of his brand new frankenpistol.
Isn't that how it supposed to be done? Slap that b!tch home. That's what I was taught atleast. Lol.

Seems like a good opportunity to replce with an upgraydded bolt catch. But right seems odd that it broke goven that it does not seem to have direct force applied to it.

How did you break the bolt catch by dry firing? It's not involved in pulling the trigger at all
My actions where exactly as followed
Removed MK18 from safe. Charged an Magpul dummy round in the chamber. Slowly pulled my new Geissele 2 stage and click "ting" metal on the floor. I never even touched the bolt catch.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top