JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It wouldn't matter how big or small you have something that signifies that you support the right to bear arms. It will upset someone.

I tend to go to the other extreme. Generally speaking, I don't advertise anything. I don't sport gun/shooting/hunting stuff on my truck. In fact, I have no brand ID badges on my truck. Why argue over Chevy or GMC? I don't want to draw attention of anyone anymore. Don't feel the sense of community that I grew up in, to the same level. Now my community, by choice, is just a few in a few mile radius. If they are part of any groups, I don't know and don't really want to know. I judge more on face to face time now. When I moved here, I joined my last group, (MA) mostly anonymous.

True story about special plates & you can see mine on the wall at The Fat City Cafe in Multnomah Village. The place is covered with them from all over the world.

I lived in CT from '92 - Dec '12. I'd lived in Sacramento for the previous 11 years & knew politicians were crooked but they kept it fairly low key. Once I got to CT I realized bribery & corruption was a State sport. CT troopers took their cars home & used them to guard road construction sites in their off hours, burning taxpayer fuel. That's the first thing that ticked me off.

The 2nd thing that annoyed me was it was who you knew as to whether or not you'd get a ticket. I learned of an organization, "The 100 Club of CT" and if you donated $100 you got a heavy, shiny brass medallion shaped like a badge. Double sticky tape it to your trunk & chances are you wouldn't get a ticket b/c the 100 Club provided money to fallen officers' families at first & then expanded to include all 1st Responders. My stepson collected tickets like baseball cards (he drove like an idiot) but I had a spare vinyl 100 Club sticker, put it on his back window & he never got a ticket again.

CT plates use a unique numbering system for VIPs. The Guv's plate is 1-CT, Lt Guv is 2-CT, etc. The Mayor of Hartford is 1-HF and so it goes. DMV has a lookup database & I realized there weren't any towns/cities/boroughs that used my initials - AE. I ordered up a 1-AE plate, stuck my shiny 100 Club medallion on the plate & put them under a waterproof plastic license plate cover. I used to blow past troopers at 70+ in 55 zones & was never stopped. My (now ex) wife thought it was playing dirty but she didn't complain about her son not getting anymore tickets.

When I moved back home to OR after a 30 year absence I asked Helen, the owner of Fat City if she'd like my CT plate. I started going in there in the mid-70's & whenever I'd visit Portland I'd go for a cinnamon roll. If you've never been there, is why you should go. If you just want a breakfast plate they'e usually large enough for two.

Love your writing. But I'd appreciate a book

Thanks for the compliment. I did try book writing once, but did not get very far. I guess I'm not disciplined enough, or something. These little one-page essays are more my speed.

Thanks for the compliment. I did try book writing once, but did not get very far. I guess I'm not disciplined enough, or something. These little one-page essays are more my speed.

They also appear to be my speed. Smile, one page + one page + one page (etc. etc.) means I can order the book. I guess the new things is self e-publishing and selling your "book of stories" or individual story in .pdf format. Dats good stuff you put together. Just saying.

PaulB47,

If I remember correctly, I read one book during high school for a book report. Didn't read one single book after leaving high school that wasn't toward my career or to keep up with my career requirements. Not one book simply for pleasure.

Then I retired and picked up my first novel for pleasure. Now I read a lot of books when I find a new author that entertains me. Until the line-up runs out. Just saying, I found another.

Your experience reminds me of this quote:
"About 100% of first-graders walk in on the first day and are interested in this thing called reading. Eighty percent of graduating high school seniors tell us they will never again voluntarily read another book."
--Yale researcher Kylene Beers

That's government schooling for you. Anyway, if you like my scribbles, have at it:

Armed & Non-Violent: My Articles

:)

Your experience reminds me of this quote:
"About 100% of first-graders walk in on the first day and are interested in this thing called reading. Eighty percent of graduating high school seniors tell us they will never again voluntarily read another book."
--Yale researcher Kylene Beers

That's government schooling for you. Anyway, if you like my scribbles, have at it:

Armed & Non-Violent: My Articles

:)

Just FWIW while I didn't read any pleasure books after high school, I did get my doctorate and a great career. Public School in the 50-60s and a self funded private university in the late 70s.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews