JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
A few days ago, I acquired a problem that I hadn't known about before. Meaning, it was never a problem for me but I guess it was there. For somebody.

My doorbell rang, which is most unusual. I answered it and there stood a neighbor whom I've known for well over 30 years. A very nice, quiet spoken older person. Our respective sons went to school together at one time.

Clutched in this lady's hand was a copy of the Wash. state guide to invasive species plants. She proceeded to tell me that I have a cluster of Spurge Laurel growing out by the road in front of my property. Spurge Laurel I'd never heard of, but I'm aware of the plant without being able to ID it. Because it's one of the few things that will grow and prosper in the shade of mature forestation.

The offending plants were actually growing on the county road right of way, which I take care of. I've planted some lupines by seed out there, plus I take care of the salal and a non-native photinia. But what the hey, she's seen me out there puttering around, so I figured I'd take responsibility for the issue. The lady told me Spurge Laurel seeds propagate easily and can infest native forests. She advised that I should remove the plants, and doing so would also be for the benefit of my neighbors. I told her I'd take it under advisement.

I considered the matter. I didn't really want to remove the Spurge Laurel, mainly because it does well where other plants don't really want to grow. Including under trees in compacted, rocky soil such as exists along roads. But the next day, I went out there and removed all the Spurge Laurel. I filled in the area with a few heather plants (also not native, but "allowed" because they haven't been deemed invasive) I was looking for homes for. I considered just forgetting about it. However, I've known this lady for a long time, figure this is something that she feels strongly about, so for her sake, I complied. BUT: I didn't remove the Spurge Laurel that grows on my side of the fence, which she cannot see. I have a few patches of it here and there around my property but in the conditions extant, has been slow-growing and has chosen to exist in places where it isn't displacing native plants.

Speaking of invasive, non-native plants, I didn't see English Ivy on the state's hit parade of forbidden plants. I've had a battle going for decades keeping it at bay. Some knuckle-head who owned my property previously planted some that got out of hand. I spent quite a bit of time removing it, including roots which is a real job of work. In the meantime, some got over onto the property east of mine which was undeveloped at the time and it took over a large area. Eradicated on my lot, I now have to fight ivy coming back this way again.

In the north end of my land I discovered an invasion of another invasive, non-native species called Yellow Archangel, I think it is. A neighbor on that side discarded a florist''s living plant pot in his yard. From there, the Yellow Archangel went onto my land, and two lots west of me. I tore it all out on my side of the fencing, but it's going crazy on three adjoining lots. I go out there a couple of times a year and rip out the tendrils that are trying to re-invade.

A few days ago, I acquired a problem that I hadn't known about before. Meaning, it was never a problem for me but I guess it was there. For somebody.

My doorbell rang, which is most unusual. I answered it and there stood a neighbor whom I've known for well over 30 years. A very nice, quiet spoken older person. Our respective sons went to school together at one time.

Clutched in this lady's hand was a copy of the Wash. state guide to invasive species plants. She proceeded to tell me that I have a cluster of Spurge Laurel growing out by the road in front of my property. Spurge Laurel I'd never heard of, but I'm aware of the plant without being able to ID it. Because it's one of the few things that will grow and prosper in the shade of mature forestation.

The offending plants were actually growing on the county road right of way, which I take care of. I've planted some lupines by seed out there, plus I take care of the salal and a non-native photinia. But what the hey, she's seen me out there puttering around, so I figured I'd take responsibility for the issue. The lady told me Spurge Laurel seeds propagate easily and can infest native forests. She advised that I should remove the plants, and doing so would also be for the benefit of my neighbors. I told her I'd take it under advisement.

I considered the matter. I didn't really want to remove the Spurge Laurel, mainly because it does well where other plants don't really want to grow. Including under trees in compacted, rocky soil such as exists along roads. But the next day, I went out there and removed all the Spurge Laurel. I filled in the area with a few heather plants (also not native, but "allowed" because they haven't been deemed invasive) I was looking for homes for. I considered just forgetting about it. However, I've known this lady for a long time, figure this is something that she feels strongly about, so for her sake, I complied. BUT: I didn't remove the Spurge Laurel that grows on my side of the fence, which she cannot see. I have a few patches of it here and there around my property but in the conditions extant, has been slow-growing and has chosen to exist in places where it isn't displacing native plants.

Speaking of invasive, non-native plants, I didn't see English Ivy on the state's hit parade of forbidden plants. I've had a battle going for decades keeping it at bay. Some knuckle-head who owned my property previously planted some that got out of hand. I spent quite a bit of time removing it, including roots which is a real job of work. In the meantime, some got over onto the property east of mine which was undeveloped at the time and it took over a large area. Eradicated on my lot, I now have to fight ivy coming back this way again.

In the north end of my land I discovered an invasion of another invasive, non-native species called Yellow Archangel, I think it is. A neighbor on that side discarded a florist''s living plant pot in his yard. From there, the Yellow Archangel went onto my land, and two lots west of me. I tore it all out on my side of the fencing, but it's going crazy on three adjoining lots. I go out there a couple of times a year and rip out the tendrils that are trying to re-invade.
That bubblegum puts the "noxious" in noxious weeds. All parts poisonous and even the fumes from it can cause problems.

ACA79CB5-8735-4202-8D4B-1108E208FD2E.jpeg

That bubblegum puts the "noxious" in noxious weeds. All parts poisonous and even the fumes from it can cause problems.
Yes, my neighbor pointed this out to me. By all rights, I should be dead by now. Because I've handled these before when cleaning up after a windstorm. Maybe I'm not one of the "some people" referred to. I should remember this; now I don't recall if I used gloves the other day when I removed the plants.

I split my time between Seattle and Eastern Washington. Our home on the dry side of the state is in an agricultural county that takes noxious weed control very seriously. If they spot some on your property you get a notification and a date to have them eradicated by. If you don't eradicate them, they will and will bill you for doing it.

I split my time between Seattle and Eastern Washington. Our home on the dry side of the state is in an agricultural county that takes noxious weed control very seriously. If they spot some on your property you get a notification and a date to have them eradicated by. If you don't eradicate them, they will and will bill you for doing it.
Good. It's a weed reservoir for the neighbors if the owner is ignoring his/her responsibility to control weeds.

Just today I was out walking my property and taking note of where Spurge Laurel has established itself. As I said before, some has been there for three decades and hasn't gotten much bigger. But I note the small seedlings coming along under the mature plants. I've resolved myself to the idea that I might as well take them all out.

I've been looking at the Wash. state list of invasive species plants, and English Ivy IS on the list. It is a Class C "weed," more serious than Spurge Laurel which is on both Class A and B lists.

Also, I've been an unwitting host to another invasive plant, St. John's Wart. I have a small patch of it, I guess it should come out too but according to the "problem map" the state prints, it's not widespread in my county.

There is an invasive plant growing near my deck that grows a poison so toxic that it has a LD50 where it could kill me if I ingested slightly more than the weight of a single snowflake of it (0.002 grams).

If I ate it, touched it with broken skin, got any of it into my eyes or mouth within 6 hours I would start vomiting, urinating and pooping blood, go into multisystem organ failure, shock and then a coma before I died.

Meh... too lazy to remove it.

Pretty sure our honey bees were imported about three hundred years ago. Gotta be an invasive species competing with indigenous pollinators. My bees are demanding reparations.

I've been looking at the Wash. state list of invasive species plants, and English Ivy IS on the list. It is a Class C "weed," more serious than Spurge Laurel which is on both Class A and B lists.

Also, I've been an unwitting host to another invasive plant, St. John's Wart. I have a small patch of it, I guess it should come out too but according to the "problem map" the state prints, it's not widespread in my county.

Sorry, but class C denotes that a weed is so widespread that that it is considered not bothering with, unless at a personal level. In both OR and WA Class A weeds are to be dealt with immediately, and Class B means that the weeds are not widespread, but in areas where they do occur should be targeted.

Just today I was out walking my property and taking note of where Spurge Laurel has established itself. As I said before, some has been there for three decades and hasn't gotten much bigger. But I note the small seedlings coming along under the mature plants. I've resolved myself to the idea that I might as well take them all out.

Crossbow is a good herbicide to use on spurge laurel, but be verry careful to spray when it is below 72 degrees, as it tends to volatilize and thus can drift into neighboring vegetation. It's handy to add indicater dye to the mix so you will know your coverage and what plants you hit or not.

The seeds from past plants will tend to show up in coming years, so you'll have to deal with them as time moves along.

Sorry, but class C denotes that a weed is so widespread that that it is considered not bothering with, unless at a personal level. In both OR and WA Class A weeds are to be dealt with immediately, and Class B means that the weeds are not widespread, but in areas where they do occur should be targeted.
Thanks for that explanation. I need to read the booklet in its entirety. So class C means, "give it up" sounds like. Not me, I hate English Ivy taking over.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top