JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've replaced both thermostats and elements in this water heater. Both 30 amp breakers are fine. I still have only warm water.

Somebody on this site knows what's wrong. I will be forever grateful if you could impart a bit of plumbing knowledge on me so I can wrap this simple item up.

Sorry to waste everyone's time. Thank you.

Is the water hot for a minute then warm after if it hasn't been used for a while?? The dip tube is broken off. It is supposed to put the incoming cold water to the bottom of the tank. When it breaks off the incoming water mixes with the hot water on top and gives you warm water only. Easy fix. Tubes are about $10 at your favorite hardware store. Pretty much generic. Turn off the water, disconnect the cold line from the tank, remove top piece of dip tube in fitting, install new dip tube, reconnect line and turn water on. Don't bother trying to fetch out the rest of the tube. It won't hurt anything if left in the tank.

Sounds like you have an electrical issue, and are running on only 1 (one) of your 120v feeds to the elements. Double check breakers and all connections. One of the wire nuts may look OK but not be tight.

I've run into this problem before with broken or split dip tubes.
Some years back this was a huge problem when the manufactures of water heaters changed the tubes plastic composition.

The easiest way to remove one is to find a wooden dowel that you can insert into the center of the tube,
You then wiggle the dowel back and forth until it breaks free and can then be lifted out.
Another issue is if you have enough headroom above the water heater, as the dip tubes are almost the full length of the tank.

Some tubes have a semi circle built into the bottom so as to circulate the sediments and keep them from collecting on the bottom.

Always align the heating element in a vertical position, because if placed horizontally, the element will droop when hot and crack.

I was fooled by the oldest trick in the book. I replaced both upper and lower elements and thermostats. Never thought to check the street meter. That is until my wife asked if I'd seen the new electric bill. It was over $600.00 for a normally $115.00 bill. "Oh" I said. Street meter was spinning like a hooker at a square dance. Never was a broken hot water heater. Just a big hot water leak under the house. Fixed the leak and all is well. That is except for begging PGE for a break that will never come.

Thanks for all that replied to my situation.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews