JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
A British buddy of mine was on this BA flight that blew out a cockpit window in flight. The pilot was partially ejected and was hanging out of the plane, being held onto by the flight crew...who assumed he was dead...but he lived. Buddy said that a flight attendant came back from the flight deck screaming, "oh my god the pilot is dead!" Words I'm fairly certain you never want to hear being screamed by a flight attendant. Also not exactly the model of professionalism you would hope for in a situation like this. The sorta funny thing is my buddy got nothing for this experience except a refund of his faire. The British legal system is apparently a bit different than the US system. :rolleyes:

Wow that's pretty wild you can see the lights of Portland through the big hole as they are flying. Some lady said no one was seated near there so doesn't sound like somebody opened an exit door?

In flight video in this article:

Wow that's pretty wild you can see the lights of Portland through the big hole as they are flying. Some lady said no one was seated near there so doesn't sound like somebody opened an exit door?

In flight video in this article:

Unless something has changed, which I doubt, they are made so they can not be opened while the cabin is pressurized for just that reason. Some moron would be opening them in flight. Guessing they are going to keep lawyers busy for a while trying to figure out which part of the structure failed allowing that. Some damn lucky people that no got sucked out before the pressure equalized. Decades back a 747 had a piece break off and ripped a hole where a couple passengers ended up in one of the engines over the ocean.

The door failed.

Some of the exit doors are made by Spirit. I know a person who worked on the team that handled the doors ahead of the wings. This door is behind the wing. Boeing outsources the manufacturing of these doors, and they had years of issues with them during development.
Boeing actually relies on some of the vendors to perform some of the engineering of components, Boeing has lost much of it's engineering talent over the decades.
Boeing recently began pushing to have some of the doors made in India, which doesn't make it's US manufacturing partners happy.

Currently, the FAA is super picky about approving Boeing aircraft these days after the MAX crashes, I believe they have been delaying approval of the 737 MAX 7 currently, and this is not going to help.

I suspect this incident is going to have serious repercussions for this aircraft family.

Keep an eye on Boeing stock.....

The door failed.

Some of the exit doors are made by Spirit. I know a person who worked on the team that handled the doors ahead of the wings. This door is behind the wing. Boeing outsources the manufacturing of these doors, and they had years of issues with them during development.
Boeing actually relies on some of the vendors to perform some of the engineering of components, Boeing has lost much of it's engineering talent over the decades.
Boeing recently began pushing to have some of the doors made in India, which doesn't make it's US manufacturing partners happy.

Currently, the FAA is super picky about approving Boeing aircraft these days after the MAX crashes, I believe they have been delaying approval of the 737-7 currently, and this is not going to help.

I suspect this incident is going to have serious repercussions for this aircraft family.

That's great info. Definitely not confidence inspiring for those planes.

Doors made in India. Gonna have to add 1 year to the fix for the problem cuz no one can understand what the hell the "tech support" people are saying. :p

Last Edited:
BTW, I am not claiming to have inside information that the door failed. That is my own observation. I used to hold an A&P certificate as I was an electronics and in-flight controls tech for many years in the industry. It's just my opinion that the door failed. They shouldn't just fall out, there's interlocks, sensors, and the physical design to prevent that (such as cabin pressure actually keeping them shut, as they open inwards usually) however, in recent years, some designs have been explored that allow a door to open outward....I am not sure if this is one of those newer designs. The door shouldn't physically be able to be ripped out if it's an inward-opening type.

Jeez, if this happened at high altitude, it could have been the destruction of the aircraft and death of all on board.
The door failed.

Currently, the FAA is super picky about approving Boeing aircraft these days after the MAX crashes, I believe they have been delaying approval of the 737 MAX 7 currently, and this is not going to help.

Last Edited:
After he japan crash a couple days ago I made the comment to my wife that there are so many planes in the air it's remarkable there aren't more accidents.

Here are the planes in the air over the US right now:
E51929BB-129A-4C73-B79C-0220D285BB8E.jpeg
8CBF334A-BF38-4194-9669-70CD02F9FEA7.jpeg

I wonder where the door is. I know a person can check the adsbexchange historical flight track to find out when they hit 16,000 feet and headed back to Pdx to see where it came off. But between that spot and where it landed who knows. I bet a helicopter will find it (if they bother to look for it).

Edit: then again maybe not. Looks like a forested area north of north plains. It may not be found?

9B1B04BA-92CC-41DD-BF1E-7172B4CD0662.jpeg

Juan Brown (blancolirio) gives an in-depth analysis. Looks like a factory flaw, since the airplane was delivered in late October, and probably hasn't flown enough to have that area required to be inspected under the approved maintenance program. That exit was supposed to be bolted shut because it was not required with that passenger configuration, and those fasteners would have been hidden behind the interior side panels.

Juan Brown (blancolirio) gives an in-depth analysis. Looks like a factory flaw, since the airplane was delivered in late October, and probably hasn't flown enough to have that area required to be inspected under the approved maintenance program. That exit was supposed to be bolted shut because it was not required with that passenger configuration, and those fasteners would have been hidden behind the interior side panels.

From his flight aware track its looks like the door should be somewhere around lake Oswego/west Linn. People need to check their backyards...

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top