JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The backstop was a yard and a house. This is why you practice so you can be certain your rounds will only go where you want them to go. It also is why departments should issue the best quality hollow points to the officers on the street.

Well, you know. No biggie. Happens all the time, right? Gotta wonder what the officer's heart rate was.

As far as stopping power, I'm pretty sure you'd need something that has enough recoil to literally move your entire body upon firing, because that's how physics works. What they receive, you feel as well. As far as the "push" goes.

G17? He had 10 shots left unfired that could have possibly stopped his attacker. A mystery to me why he did not fire again. When he got stabbed it looks like his weapon was holstered?

Last Edited:
That cop is lucky to be alive, he should have shot knife guy in the face.

GBI identifies man killed in Athens officer-involved shooting

"Stopping power" is B.S. pure and simple, you stop someone by bleeding them out and making them go unconscious or turn their lights off with a hit to the central nervous system. It ain't rocket surgery.
That's true but don't forget about "psychological stopping power". Some poeple go down when shot because that's what they think a person does when shot.

You can't count on that of course cuz everyone reacts differently, especially a determined person (see Miami Dade incident as example or the example in this thread) or someone on drugs.

G17? He had 10 shots left unfired that could have possibly stopped his attacker. A mystery to me why he did not fire again. When he got stabbed it looks like his weapon was holstered?

Exactly! When the cop made the decision to use lethal force, then less-than-lethal should have been immediately off the table.

Of course I would be remiss not to admit that I wasn't there, and this is quite obviously Monday morning quarterbacking.

Last Edited:

Yes look like the officers weapon was holstered. Not sure why when guy got up that the LEO didn't shoot him multiple times again. Although the holster is a retention one so LEO put his weapon back so knife wielding guy couldn't get it out?

Last Edited:
Monday morning quarterbacking is pretty much what we are all taking part in here. I bet this video is used in future training though for what went right and what went wrong. I don't think they are taught to holster weapon until threat is neutralized and it clearly was not.

The guy was shot with a 9mm. Wait, didn't I just watch some idiot (it was funny as all get out through) ranting and raving about how great the 9mm is and the .45 ACP is a useless piece of last century junk? The only cartridges worth looking at now are the currently designed cartridges like the 9mm (1902)/.38 Special(1898)/.357 Mag (1935)/.40 S&W(1873, oh yeah, that was the .38-40 Win. SAME bullet dia., SAME bullet weight, SAME bullet velocity, worked the SAME then, SAME now). If you need to shoot someone four or five times at close range and don't slow them down, you might look at something bigger.

Personally I find it interesting to note that the people/countries/armies fighting hostile hostiles went big bore, .455 Webley, .45 Colt, .45 ACP, 11.25mm Montenegro, etc. and the people/armies fighting "civilized" hostiles used small bores.

Officer clearly didn't want to kill the guy. Thats a good cop in my eyes, he only shot when threat was imminent. It sounded like he knew the trauma that would come with it. Still, I always wonder, he had a buddy there, couldn't they have disarmed and tackeled the guy?

But absolutely crazy that the guy got back up and charged at him again, wow!

Officer clearly didn't want to kill the guy. Thats a good cop in my eyes, he only shot when threat was imminent. It sounded like he knew the trauma that would come with it. Still, I always wonder, he had a buddy there, couldn't they have disarmed and tackeled the guy?

But absolutely crazy that the guy got back up and charged at him again, wow!

At least it wasn't his buddy that got attacked after the failure to neutralize. He got to wear his own mistake.

yeah, I think killing the guy was the last thing the officer wanted but i may have payed for that with his life. Its easy to say what we think should have been done, also we have no idea what kind of pressure these officers have now with the politicians breathing down their necks, knowing that the wrong guy getting shot could mean the city burning.:(

Stopping power has long been an oft perpetuated myth. I have shot and killed a number of living things in my life, and the only guarantee of an instant stoppage has been a shot to the CNS. Caliber has nothing to do with it, really. I read about "dead right there" stories all the time, and much like the "1/2 MOA, all day" white lie, this is simply not what you should expect from a center of mass encounter. The officer could've been using a .44 mag, and with the exact angles and placement, suffered the same result.

Let me give a real world, similar example. I shot a whitetail deer once, broadside at about 40 yards. Perfect upper heart and lung shot with a 6 inch exit wound. A good portion of heart and lung tissue sprayed all over the point of impact, even a chunk of the top of the heart and arteries were on the ground. That deer still ran about 80 yards, leaving a blood trail in the snowy berm behind it 24 inches wide that Hellen Keller could follow. There wasn't a trace of the heart in the chest cavity. On the other hand, I have seen animals drop and not get up from similar injuries or even much less damage. You just never know. :s0092:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top