JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Looking at my stock level of buckshot, I am trying to decide how much I need. I have several 12 ga shotguns in single shot, pump and semi auto.
I have plenty of bird shot on hand. I rarely use buck shot other than for occasional practice but I would like to be prepared.
How much buckshot is enough to keep on hand? I currently have about 250rds on hand. I was thinking about increasing that 2-3x.
A shotgun is not planed as any primary firearm.

I do not know the type or size of buckshot that you currently have, but you may want to try some different pellet sizes?
Variety is nice...especially if it brings you to find something that patterns well.

uishot.png
Photo from ---
Part 2 covered buffered loads etc..
Edit to add: I am restraining myself from posting Clint Smith videos, memes, and quotes. :oops:

Last Edited:
Use would be for general preparedness. For use for gathering food or defense against any type of threat. I am likely to go with 00 du to availability vs price.

Again this is not a primary arm, but 250rds does not seem like enough, 1000 seems like too much.

Use would be for general preparedness. For use for gathering food or defense against any type of threat. I am likely to go with 00 du to availability vs price.

Again this is not a primary arm, but 250rds does not seem like enough, 1000 seems like too much.
Jebus!! What exactly are you preparing for??? Lol.

I bought a bunch of slugs and 00 buck when I saw it cheap just to have.

I agree and use 0000 buck in my HD gun.

If you're preparing for a shootout or long term self defense I'd think you would be better spending money to acquire a long gun with a magazine.

Just my 2¢

How many shotguns do you have?
How many fallback/ perimeter positions will you have staged? Will they be fully stocked?
^^^^
This! Also, are you planning for just yourself, or a group of people? Not a bad strategy to have some spare pump or break action shotguns around to arm friends or family in a SHTF situation. Easy to use, cheap to purchase, useful for both hunting and defense, and valuable in a barter economy.

I don't think there is any particular "recommended" amount, but it sounds like your intended usage is about like mine. I like to keep about 1.5k rounds on hand per shooter.

I break it down in 600-700 bird/target, 300-400 mid size game loads and 500 in SD. About 300 split between 00 and 0000 and 200 in slug.

I dunno if it's really wise to do a bunch of stocking at the moment though. I think prices are still going to keep coming down, but I am certainly keeping an eye on what the market is doing and setting aside some cabbage to restock when I feel prices have bottomed out.

A shotty isn't my primary SD either, but I try to keep "more than sufficient" amounts not only for SHTF preparedness, but also so I can ride out one of these price/availability issue spikes when they roll around. Typically lasting a year or 2... it's an eventuatlity so it's always nice to ride it out without cramping your shooting style or paying through the nose to profiteers.

I also set basement level quntities on hand. The closer I get to it the more I'll cut back on target practice in order to maintain "SHTF" preparedness, if needed.

That said, I don't really believe having too much ammo is ever a "thing". Stored properly it'll keep until well into the next generation.

My shotguns are for defensive use only since only FN SLP has threads for a choke but it only 18" long. My Mossberg pump action the longest I own is 22". So I use 9 pellet 00 buckshot mostly. I did buy some #4 buckshot and also have some LE132 15 pellet #1 buckshot. Federal has stopped making LE132 #1 buckshot. Flite control rounds are more expensive so I practice with Rio 9 pellet 00 buckshot.

Kind of a stretch here, don't know if you play video games or ever did. If your character is armed with a shotgun and you have 250 rounds, it takes a long, LONG time to burn through all that even when in active combat. You have enough ammo already, especially for a non primary weapon. You can always add more but don't freak out

Kind of a stretch here, don't know if you play video games or ever did. If your character is armed with a shotgun and you have 250 rounds, it takes a long, LONG time to burn through all that even when in active combat. You have enough ammo already, especially for a non primary weapon. You can always add more but don't freak out
On the other hand... if society completely collapses shortly after lunchtime... and 250 are meant to last you the remainder of your days... you might wanna stack a little deeper. 🤣

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top