JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I feel like if you go far enough in either political direction that you actually come out in the middle. The infinity loop comes to mind when I think of this.

I feel like if you go far enough in either political direction that you actually come out in the middle. The infinity loop comes to mind when I think of this.

Just goofy. :p

Start with "I think" instead of "I feel like" and you begin to join rational society. Really. Think of the meaning of those words in English... how can one "feel like" unless you are imagining drowning, or being stabbed, or having a big O... Feelings can be either somatic or emotion. "I feel lonely, I feel sad, I feel foolish". Unless you want to say, "I feel as though" which nobody says right?

Class dismissed. I didn't even charge you the $90 it cost me at the shrink office. ;)

Start with "I think" instead of "I feel like" and you begin to join rational society. Really. Think of the meaning of those words in English... how can one "feel like" unless you are imagining drowning, or being stabbed, or having a big O... Feelings can be either somatic or emotion. "I feel lonely, I feel sad, I feel foolish". Unless you want to say, "I feel as though" which nobody says right?

Class dismissed. I didn't even charge you the $90 it cost me at the shrink office. ;)

Too much PC crap subverting the language and rendering it a eunuch. The phrase "I think..." is also superfluous. I fixed it below. If someone cannot discern it is @Flymph's opinion, i.e. that is what he thinks, there's no hope for them either.

If you go far enough in either political direction that you actually come out in the middle. The infinity loop comes to mid when I think of this.

Start with "I think" instead of "I feel like"
Good advice. The words have become interchangeable, but they're really not.

I wish I had the techno-savvy to make and post a comprehensive flow-chart of of great arguments against every single "point" made by the antis. Some are fact-based and put the lie to their statistics. Some point out obvious flaws in their logic.

I avoid bombast and the "because it's my right" retort at all costs. Not because it's invalid, but because it's what they expect. In fact, I try hard to avoid any argument they've ever heard before because their talking-points don't cover it... they'll have to engage in some quick critical thinking to counter. Not exactly liberals' strength... it's why I always win*.

*A "win" is usually when they resort to name calling and gibbering. Not a "win" in the classic sense... most are much too close-minded to be swayed. At that point I feel comfortable in calling them a bigot and a bully and ending the conversation.​

Hey all,over the weekend the subject of school shootings came up we a relative that is so far left she's upside down. She told me that myself and those who own the dreaded "AR47 and AK15" yes I know the difference she does not. We have no right owning these weapons of war. And that those who do have no feeling of sorrow,remorse or care that people are being killed with these guns. I don't even try to argue these points with her. She also believes all Republican politicians should be in prison. And that hillary and obama did all they could in Benghazi and that there was no time to get help there.

There is quite literally no help for some peoples children.

I used the wording I did to avoid upsetting too many people, i'm glad it was just the grammar nazis' sensibilities that were offended.
I suppose my diversion worked!

Ask her if she has had an abortion, or supports that "right" for other women.

Who is doing the killing?
Oooooohhh... too hostile, bro. Not inaccurate, but loses the point.

"AWs are only made for killing people"

A) There's 10 MILLION of these things floating around in the USA right now that have never been used to kill anyone. Obviously that statement isn't true.

A:a)There is at least one in almost every police car in the country... are they all being used for murderdeathkill?

The second one could go a couple of directions (hence my desire for a flow chart)

Yes) And these are the thugs you want to trust? The ones you say are the only ones who should have these?

No, they have "training") Again, this can branch-off in a few different directions.

A) How much "training" do you think they actually have?

A:a) How much training does it take to be effective w one of these? How much training did Cruz or Lanza have. THEY were pretty f-ing effective w NONE.

A:b) Does training remove psychosis or murderous intent? Or does it just make for a better killer?

And so it goes...

Hey all,over the weekend the subject of school shootings came up we a relative that is so far left she's upside down. She told me that myself and those who own the dreaded "AR47 and AK15" yes I know the difference she does not. We have no right owning these weapons of war. And that those who do have no feeling of sorrow,remorse or care that people are being killed with these guns. I don't even try to argue these points with her. She also believes all Republican politicians should be in prison. And that hillary and obama did all they could in Benghazi and that there was no time to get help there.
My comment is this: We kill 11 teens DAILY behind the wheel and we, as a country/culture, deem that "perfectly acceptable"

So if the goal is to "save the children", then take away their privilege to drive until age 25, when maturity sets in, or until then, only permit them to drive 30MPH or less.

"Yes, police are using them to kill innocent black people." - Random SJW, who still wants to take away the guns.
A) Could you please cite TWO cases of that happening?.

I usually ask for two vs one... just because they may have something in the chamber. Doubtful, but I don't like surprises.

At this point we can branch off into why they trust the minority-killing cops and baby-killers in the military more than their neighbor... or YOU, for that matter.

A) Cops shouldn't have them either... they're weapons of WAR!

Are they? Dick's' just destroyed THOUSANDS of them vs selling them... why would they do that instead of donating them to the military? Where do the death-dealing war-machines go when the cops confiscate them? Do they go to the military, get destroyed, or do 90+% of them get auctioned back to civilians?

Last Edited:
I used the wording I did to avoid upsetting too many people, i'm glad it was just the grammar nazis' sensibilities that were offended.
I suppose my diversion worked!

Another post I don't understand. Maybe I'm just dense today. How would you have offended ANYONE? I'm not offended until now.

Just to try to communicate rather than throw euphemisms and daggers and being all snotty and passive/aggressive... It has nothing to do with grammar. If you can't understand the difference between "I feel like" and "I think" in ideological terms, there really is no help for younger generations who have had all the touchy feely thinking pounded into them since 1st grade. My point was NOT about English language, but to identify conditioned bias towards feelings rather than rational thinking. Nobody teaches kids any different so society continues down the road of feeling decisions instead of thinking decisions. I used you to make a point but that does NOT make me a nazi, bless your sweet little heart. Sorry to have offended you.

And so it goes...
OK, but what argument do you have then? The constitution is no longer an argument, as they 1) Do not believe it and 2) are actively seeking to change it.

With the emotion-driven left, they are willing to make huge sacrifices - of your rights - so that "this will NEVER happen again"

Ask her if she wants martial law. No? By logical extension, that is what she is ultimately asking for. And, those weapons of war are used to enforce martial law. Might ask how this is not hypocritical.

My guns are not soft fuzzy objects - they have one purpose in my mind and that is to destroy things and entities . I practice to be able to put the right bullet in the right place. If my guns were not capable of doing what I want them to do then I would not have them. To me they are intended to kill and destroy things. I have them with the hopes that I will never need them for defense of my self or others but with the knowledge of ultimately why they are there and their capability to do what may need to be done. They may be called weapons of war but I see them as tools for peace.

OK, but what argument do you have then?
You didn't pose a particular argument in your post so I had to improvise. What I said was...

"AWs are only made for killing people"

A) There's 10 MILLION of these things floating around in the USA right now that have never been used to kill anyone. Obviously that statement isn't true.

A:a)There is at least one in almost every police car in the country... are they all being used for murderdeathkill?

The second one could go a couple of directions (hence my desire for a flow chart)

Yes) And these are the thugs you want to trust? The ones you say are the only ones who should have these?

No, they have "training") Again, this can branch-off in a few different directions.

A) How much "training" do you think they actually have?

A:a) How much training does it take to be effective w one of these? How much training did Cruz or Lanza have. THEY were pretty f-ing effective w NONE.

A:b) Does training remove psychosis or murderous intent? Or does it just make for a better killer?

And so it goes...
Yes, the Constitution is much larger than a gun-control argument. It's a big part of the reason that I don't even include the Constitution and the 2A in my arguments... it's held in reserve, the "Nuclear Option". If I'm going to have this conversation, I want to either be convinced, convince someone, or have them go stupid. The reason I don't go all pro-life on em is because it's A) a non-issue at this point. And B) it moves the conversation out of my "zone" and into other arenas. It's defensive offense, if you will.

When I said "too hostile" I wasn't criticizing you. I was mostly thinking of the typical leftists that I encounter and, they're friends. I don't aim to antagonize, just converse. If I was to meet up with a truly hostile leftist, I'd probably cut loose w abortion at some point too, but it's not my opener.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads