JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Someone needs to use those parts. It makes me sad to see AKs, or any gun really, get destroyed instead of being re-purposed. :(

A friend and I were talking one day and he mentioned destroying guns in Iraq (two tours with the USMC). He said one day they wrapped a bunch of clean, new, Belgian FALs in det cord, and another time they lined up captured AKs to run them over with tracked vehicles. He said there were logistical reasons they destroyed them instead of saving them for the Iraqi allies.

He's a gun guy and I asked him if it bothered him to destroy guns. Not a bit, he said. Having been on the wrong end of them he'd rather see them scrapped than risk them getting back into the wrong hands. They're just a tool, no big deal.

A friend and I were talking one day and he mentioned destroying guns in Iraq (two tours with the USMC). He said one day they wrapped a bunch of clean, new, Belgian FALs in det cord, and another time they lined up captured AKs to run them over with tracked vehicles. He said there were logistical reasons they destroyed them instead of saving them for the Iraqi allies.

He's a gun guy and I asked him if it bothered him to destroy guns. Not a bit, he said. Having been on the wrong end of them he'd rather see them scrapped than risk them getting back into the wrong hands. They're just a tool, no big deal.
I'd rather have em parted out and sold.

So , should I give up my two Muskets
( Springfield Model 1795 , dated 1808 and a Springfield Model 1842 , dated 1851)
Because unlike a AR15 or a AK47 copy , my two Muskets are actual military firearms , that more than likely have really been used in a war or two...?

Folks make no sense...its not what type of firearm the gun is...its the person behind the trigger that really matters....
Andy
I have a couple 1917s and some mousers with no import markings that were obviouly used in war and look like it

Especially the Belgian FALs, eh? :)

I asked him what a bunch of nice, new Belgian FALs were doing in Iraq. He just shrugged, they find all kinds of stuff.

Sounds like she's got a full blown case of infectious disease, best nip in in the bud before it spreads or procreates.

Agreed. The person that is beyond reason should not be reasoned with. They should not be allowed to spread their lunacy, however. They are not teaching people new rational points about gun control, but are teaching people to accept emotional pleas as legitimate points in discourse.

There is almost no benefit to talk to a person so irrational if your goal is to exchange ideas or persuade them. Since you're related, you may also carry the gene that causes extreme leftism. Get yourself checked. :eek::D

First and foremost...you should never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience. Additionally, people on the outside will have a hard time telling the difference.

With that said, I find the whole "weapons of war" tact that liberals have begun taking recently to be absolutely hilarious. Has she read the Second Amendment? What exactly does she think the purpose of the Militia was?

The purpose of the Militia was literally to "wage war" in defense of freedom and against tyranny. Consequently "weapons of war" is precisely what 2A protects. :rolleyes:

Agreed. The person that is beyond reason should not be reasoned with. They should not be allowed to spread their lunacy, however. They are not teaching people new rational points about gun control, but are teaching people to accept emotional pleas as legitimate points in discourse.

There is almost no benefit to talk to a person so irrational if your goal is to exchange ideas or persuade them. Since you're related, you may also carry the gene that causes extreme leftism. Get yourself checked. :eek::D
I believe the word of the day is "Quarantine."

One on one, a person like that mentioned in the OP is a waste of time. No amount of reasoning or arguing will change their view, so I don't get involved in those conversations.....with an exception...

There are times I'm willing to get into a discussion with such a person, as I've done here on this forum, and that's for one reason only - if I have a reasonable belief that the discussion may help to persuade others listening, who may be fence-sitters, to come to my position. In family/friend settings, there are often other people listening in, and some of those folks may be more open-minded. I'm always interested in winning those folks over - and if not winning them over, then at least making some points that might make them a bit more open to our side of things. Know your audience though - if you are relatively certain that the people listening in are all of the same opinion as your opponent, again, it becomes a waste of time. In my family, for example, I know who will listen critically and actually consider the facts as well as those who will dismiss anything I say based on their strictly emotional response/belief.

But doing this you have to be cautious - you really have to work not to get sucked into an emotional debate centered around platitudes and insults. If your 'audience' sees that you can't be reasonable and rational, then you've already lost them. Best thing is if you can be calm, well spoken and, above all, in control when your opponent is blowing a gasket. Let them hang themselves on their over-hyped, emotion-based arguments. Be prepared to challenge them on their 'facts', especially if you know they're blowing smoke and provide solid, confirmed evidence to prove it. Know where to go on the web on a smart phone to back your own facts if someone asks. It's a lot of work and can be emotionally draining, but if you do it right, you might just win some folks over to our side.

If you're the kind of person that can't have a conversation like that without getting worked-up, angry, insulting, etc., then my advice is to get away from them and leave the discussion alone. When we look like crazy people, it only hurts our side. My goal is to let the other side look crazy while our side looks reasonable. Legitimately open-minded people will take that into consideration as they ponder which side they fall on. And yes, there are plenty of open-minded people still out there, regardless of what you see on the nightly news.

Last Edited:
I have two relatives from my wifey side of the family that are all into conspiracy stuff. I had a lot of fun with it until my wife objected. But I still can't understand how otherwise intelligent, reasonable people fall into these things. I know talk goes around, but what kind of people are they hangin with???

I have two relatives from my wifey side of the family that are all into conspiracy stuff. I had a lot of fun with it until my wife objected. But I still can't understand how otherwise intelligent, reasonable people fall into these things. I know talk goes around, but what kind of people are they hangin with???

They fall for it because the government programs their brains to believe it - that's what they do with the Taos Hum as well as Bigfoot - he uses MK Ultra techniques to remote program their minds. It's all real, I read it on the interwebs ;)

She also believes all Republican politicians should be in prison.
This is what happens when we become to far to any side. If we can't start a discussion and believe that we both love America, want what's best for her and are both willing to talk about the facts, then I don't even engage in conversation. This whole tribal BS has gone to damn far.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA
Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top