JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
As a reminder to all here....
Blanket statements often are only true for some who identify with a certain group.
There are millions of gun owners here in America...and we are not all alike.
Alienating someone , by the overuse of broad blanket statements , who is pro-gun , is not helpful.

As for the OP...this thread is about a relative who is very anti-gun....lets try to keep the comments to that subject.
Thanks ,
Andy

Hey all,over the weekend the subject of school shootings came up we a relative that is so far left she's upside down. She told me that myself and those who own the dreaded "AR47 and AK15" yes I know the difference she does not. We have no right owning these weapons of war. And that those who do have no feeling of sorrow,remorse or care that people are being killed with these guns. I don't even try to argue these points with her.
I would not try to argue these points with this particular relative either. It is a waste of time trying to discuss sensitive subjects unless those involved are open minded, have good will toward each other, and believe each other to be people of good will. This relative appears to be zero for three. Her saying that those who have these guns "have no feeling of sorrow, remorse, or care that people are being killed" is particularly indicative. She's telling you she thinks you are a crappy human being, not a person of good will. I have managed to convert a fair number of anti-gun people to more reasonable positions. However, I wouldn't waste my time on this one. Not unless or until she gets attacked or raped and comes crying back to you asking you to teach her to shoot.

The reality is people set in their way will wear blinders as long as they feel the need. Often a change of political position comes in the form of tragedy. God forbid she is placed in a violent situation and then is saved by a man/woman with a weapon of war as she calls it.

I have these things in my house and so far do not need them for what they are made for.

1. Fire extinguisher
  2. Smoke Detector
  3. Water Key ( to shut of water)
  4. Gas Key ( to shut of gas
  5. Firearm, to defend against and intruder.
All have a purpose and all sit idle in case their job is needed.

These are not weapons of war, that is what the military has, citizens, well we own tools, a firearm is simply a tool to use in ones defense. The key word here that many ignore is defense. A citizen has no place except in war to use a firearm in offense, in fact using it as such will most likely put you in jail.

Interesting. Maybe they are focusing on the holy books versus the religions as practiced. I've read the Koran, and I would agree it's astonishingly female friendly. I've read that the Koran did have a big influence on making the lives of women more bearable. But the level of female subjugation among Arabs was so extreme that even with a relatively female friendly holy book, Islam as practiced today is still highly misogynist.
Focusing on holy books? They have to look at the old testament just to insult me, when as gentiles we don't follow the old laws. Its flat out insulting based on ignorance. Hell, when there's a gun debate they've also said much worse. I've been called a white supremacist, a nazi, a murderer, etc.

Again, I don't hate specific people based on their ideology or anything. But the most vocal are the reason why generalizations exist. So it can't come off as a surprise if people have their opinions based on that. I don't blame people for believing generalizations, nor am I going to condemn them. Why remove the mote ot of their eye when in thine own is a beam?

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top