JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It wasn't really oddly supported - Republicans weren't conservatives at that time and guns weren't considered particularly conservative or Republican. Nixon was not pro gun.

A good question is why Republican's introduce pro gun legislation during periods when it can't pass and don't do it when they have the House, Senate and President.
Johnson signed the GCA not Nixon

The 68 GCA was oddly supported and would have gotten through without Johnsons arm twisting
I have always heard (but can't confirm) that strong lobbying by American gun manufacture's was instrumental in its passing. The reason given was that the import market was killing their sales and if GCA '68 hadn't passed most of them would have been bankrupt by the mid '70's

I have always heard (but can't confirm) that strong lobbying by American gun manufacture's was instrumental in its passing. The reason given was that the import market was killing their sales and if GCA '68 hadn't passed most of them would have been bankrupt by the mid '70's
Same as the 89 import ban then

One of my favorite law partners (a tax lawyer) once said that when purported law enforcement comes to your door, listen to what they have to say, but look very carefully at what they have in their hands, but don't say anything back. What they are carrying is very important. Warrant? Firearm? Handcuffs?

Well, they might if it involves an 89 year old machinegun law.

I don't know why people act surprised when they buy products that skirt the law and it doesn't last forever.
I don't why why people aren't surprised that Al Capone, Bonnie, and Clyde served to justify legal precedent for 89 years and yet here we are.

Sorry to disagree with so many, as i know ATF has a bad taste in many mouths and my one and only personal experience with them was less than impressive but that was just a phone call many many years ago. These two appeared respectful and professional (IMHO). The point that they were carrying guns by some was crazy- they are law enforcement, they arrest people. The young man was discreet but appeared to have a gun under his shirt in an abdominal carry and his "BUG" on his left ankle, so his carry was less apparent.

I only skimmed this thread but I didn't see anyone mention the recent EPA slap down by the SCOTUS and how it seems to feel about bureaucratic "rulemaking".

Also, it should be mentioned that Obama's ATF, not Trump's layed the groundwork for regulatory overreach by nearly banning SS109.

I only skimmed this thread but I didn't see anyone mention the recent EPA slap down by the SCOTUS and how it seems to feel about bureaucratic "rulemaking".

Also, it should be mentioned that Obama's ATF, not Trump's layed the groundwork for regulatory overreach by nearly banning SS109.
I wouldn't read too much into that EPA ruling. Its ONE ruling that may be more specific just to that case than you think. Obama tried with SS109 , realized it wouldnt fly in court and dropped it. Trump didnt care if it flew in court.

That was Bruen. Still waiting for some traction on that.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews