JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
True story... just a week or so ago, I was BSing with my buddy at my favorite local GS, When and older gentlemen walked in rifle in hand, looking for a gunsmith.
This was his story:
"My grandson was out shooting this here H&R single shot .22(.243 according to GS buddy) and got a round stuck in the barrel. One chainsaw file wasn't long enough to reach it to knock it out so he ran a second chainsaw file down and tried hammering it out. Can you get them out for me?"
Looking down muzzle you could see the second of the two files hammered completely flush, and yes there was a squib and then some at the other end.
The guy behind the counter told him his best option would be to replace the barrel(for obvious reasons that he politely explained) and got on his laptop,and found a couple for a decent price. The old man then left to think about his options.
Not a moment to soon because I was about to loose it. I know the guy working the counter preety good, and he deserves a raise for keeping his composure especially when he could see me tearing up in the background. The guy barely made it out the door before we both rolling on the floor laughing.

First off... when people give the whole.. "my silly wife" or in this case "my grandson" story, do they actually think people buy it? and Second, can you think of a worse way to knock out a squib than a couple chainsaw files and a hammer?

Last Edited:
Dog flatulence is not where I invisioned this thread going, but it's as good a tangent as any. Anybody else have a story about a failed home gunsmithing attempt that made a dog stink spackle the floor?

3B36D42D-41B1-4E12-8319-AF495C5C8275-455-00000083FACB8CED_tmp.jpg

I was going to say at least he didn't just put another round in to blow it out lol

I didn't look down the bore, but I wouldn't be surprised if took another round to realize it was jammed. I've seen pics of guys stacking up a whole mag before they realize they aren't just missing the target... in fact here's a good one...not the one from this story obviously.

767736F3-1931-4784-8115-9404D1796867-455-00000088F85DD481_tmp.jpg

I didn't look down the bore, but I wouldn't be surprised if took another round to realize it was jammed. I've seen pics of guys stacking up a whole mag before they realize they aren't just missing the target... in fact here's a good one...not the one from this story obviously.

View attachment 359325
Wow that's crazy I have shot my gun before and that one shot that didn't sound right so just push the pin remove the bolt and look for light at the end of the barrel lol lucky I have always been able to see the light lol

I wonder if he could have gotten out the squib with one of those .22 construction blanks....before jamming the 2 files in
Don't think it would be any less dangerous than a projectile case.. ya there wouldn't be any lead to add to the jam, but its not the lead that's the danger... it's the psi from the gas having nowhere to go. aka pipe bomb. best case and it works now the crimp from the blank that wasn't designed for a rifle chamber expands and sticks so tight, he gets the bright idea to stick a chainsaw file in to knock the stuck case out

Last Edited:
Just a little correction to the story... I was in the gun store yesterday, and my buddy said it was a .243 and he was using some old handloads that caused the squib. Shows how stories evolve depending on who's telling em. We all remember things different. o_O

Wow that's crazy I have shot my gun before and that one shot that didn't sound right so just push the pin remove the bolt and look for light at the end of the barrel lol lucky I have always been able to see the light lol
That was a full auto Galill no? No pencil weight barrel.

Common sense isn't so....
I have three rods for that very reason: wooden for a simple tap, aluminum for something more resolute, and a shrink-tube wrapped steel one for the damned tough ones.
Usonian. Sounded ever so faintly familiar so I had to look it up. Fascinating. I think I've been by the Hagen House. Not in it, but I rode past it once many years ago. Thanks for that.

Reminds me of something roughly 45 years ago. A highschool friend had a Jap Arisaka with a rough bore. For reasons known but to God, he decided to slug the bore using a jacketed bullet:eek:
He managed to drive it in several inches from the breech end. Once it was good and stuck, the next obvious (to himo_O) step was to get a long drill bit and drill it out. Since it was about .30 cal, something on the order of 7/32 (.218) musta seemed about right. Now he had a tube of jacket material wedged tightly in the bore. At this point, he came to me for suggestions. I think I remember trying to drive it out with a steel cleaning rod, no luck. then a cast .30 cal bullet to keep the rod from just falling through the hole he'd drilled in the bullet. Still no luck. So, what the heck, I knew about not trying to "shoot out" a barrel obstruction but this was an unusual situation. An otherwise junk rifle and a rural setting. What could go wrong? I took a case, put about 6 grains of Unique in it and pushed a 95gr cast bullet up against the obstruction. Did the sawhorse and string trick to fire it and successfully pushed the cast bullet through the jacket remnant without removing it:( Tried again with a gas check, same results. Finally, turned a mild steel flat faced slug to be a slip fit in the bore, put it in the bore against the obstruction, put another cast bullet behind that as a gas seal, loaded another 6 or 7 grains of Unique. Fired it again and the jacket rem was gone :) Did not even appear to damage or bulge the bore...although it was so rough to begin with it was hard to know for sure. He did go on to fire proper ammunition from it. And we had all fingers and eyes intact.
Adventures in Hillbilly gunsmithing LOL.

Usonian. Sounded ever so faintly familiar so I had to look it up. Fascinating. I think I've been by the Hagen House. Not in it, but I rode past it once many years ago. Thanks for that.
I grew up ~1 mile away from this house. It was right next to my pediatrician, who worked out of his home. It was abandoned for a while, we used to explore around it, but never went inside.

upload_2017-8-31_0-26-25.png

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class