JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Share your smoking rub recipes also what type of smoker you use and wood that you use.
Yes I am looking for your secret hand me down recipes. (if your willing to share) don't be shy it will be just be between you and me:rolleyes:

I'm just starting and so far My rub is season salt and the wood is fresh cut apple twigs on a gas cajun injector smoker. I've got chicken down pretty good but I'm wanting to expand to ribs and brisket.
OK, if you're just starting out and have done chicken, pork ribs are the next step in the process.
Most Americans are accustomed to having their pork ribs slathered in sauce and often the first recipe tried is the 3-2-1 method.
I've gotten onto Memphis Style (mentioned above already) which does not use sauce. The meat, rub and smoke are the stars of the show.
Sauce lovers in the crowd can always add sauce at the end, so Memphis is a great way to go.
Here's Malcolm Reed's How-To Memphis Ribs video that got me started...
Memphis Style Rib Recipe | How to smoke Memphis Style Dry Rub Ribs Malcom Reed HowToBBQRight

Here's a pic of a couple of Memphis slabs on my 22.5 OTG...
5-9-15 Memphis Ribs.jpg

Here's my Pork Rub....I also have Malcolm's Killer Hogs Rub cloned if you want that too ?

Joe's Pork Rub

1/3 Cup Paprika

2 Tsp Smoked Paprika

2 Tsp Black Pepper

1/4 Cup Brown Sugar

1/2 Cup White Sugar

1 TBSP Salt

1 TBSP Granulated Garlic (or Garlic Powder)

1 TBSP Onion Powder

2 Tsp Cayenne Pepper

1/2 Tsp Cumin

1/2 Tsp Chipotle Powder

1/2 Tsp Ground Ginger

1/2 Tsp Celery Seed

1 Tsp Dry Mustard

1 Tsp Ground Coriander Seed

Yield : 1-1/2 Cups

Mop Sauce

8 oz. Apple Juice

4 oz. Red Wine Vinegar

4 oz. Vegetable Oil

3 TBSP Rub

Edit:
I used to go for the frozen grocery store ribs, but now only use fresh ribs from Gartner's in NE Portland....makes a difference.

Last Edited:
OK, if you're just starting out and have done chicken, pork ribs are the next step in the process.
Most Americans are accustomed to having their pork ribs slathered in sauce and often the first recipe tried is the 3-2-1 method.
I've gotten onto Memphis Style (mentioned above already) which does not use sauce. The meat, rub and smoke are the stars of the show.
Sauce lovers in the crowd can always add sauce at the end, so Memphis is a great way to go.
Memphis Style Rib Recipe | How to smoke Memphis Style Dry Rub Ribs Malcom Reed HowToBBQRight

View attachment 346871

Here's my Pork Rub....I also have Malcolm's Killer Hogs Rub cloned if you want that too ?

Joe's Pork Rub

1/3 Cup Paprika

2 Tsp Smoked Paprika

2 Tsp Black Pepper

1/4 Cup Brown Sugar

1/2 Cup White Sugar

1 TBSP Salt

1 TBSP Onion Powder

2 Tsp Cayenne Pepper

1/2 Tsp Cumin

1/2 Tsp Chipotle Powder

1/2 Tsp Ground Ginger

1/2 Tsp Celery Seed

1 Tsp Dry Mustard

Mop Sauce

8 oz. Apple Juice

4 oz. Red Wine Vinegar

4 oz. Vegetable Oil

3 TBSP Rub

Edit:
I used to go for the frozen grocery store ribs, but now only use fresh ribs from Gartner's in NE Portland....makes a difference.

This is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you very much.

View attachment 346871

Joe's Pork Rub

1/3 Cup Paprika

2 Tsp Smoked Paprika

2 Tsp Black Pepper

1/4 Cup Brown Sugar

1/2 Cup White Sugar

1 TBSP Salt

1 TBSP Onion Powder

2 Tsp Cayenne Pepper

1/2 Tsp Cumin

1/2 Tsp Chipotle Powder

1/2 Tsp Ground Ginger

1/2 Tsp Celery Seed

1 Tsp Dry Mustard

Mop Sauce

8 oz. Apple Juice

4 oz. Red Wine Vinegar

4 oz. Vegetable Oil

3 TBSP Rub

Edit:

I like Memphis over any other method. My wife bought me a book, can't remember the name but it is all about different parts of the states and world and how they prepare ribs traditionally.

I knew about Memphis style ribs before that and prefer them because different people like different sauces, i.e. Tangy, spicy, sweet etc.

Nothing ruins ribs for me more then a sauce I don't like slathered on like it's the main course.

And my rub is not that complex:p

i like this thread too and OOOOO its gettin close to traeger season at work... me and 3 other guys from the shop all cook somethin up different days of the week bring it into work the next day for us to eat at lunch!! i considered buying a second traeger and storing it at work!

man, this has got my mouth waterin!!

St Paddy's day is just around the corner guys, so look for Corned Beef Briskets on sale. They can be had cheap at Winco, Roth's etc. Usually <$2.50/lb.

We're makin' Pastrami baby!

Give them a 30 min parboil, (gets the excess cure out) pat dry and rub thoroughly with ground Coriander, black pepper and (optional) a little mustard seed. Let it sit for at least 2 hours (but 4 is better).
Then pop it in the smoker for 4-6 hours @180-200*F. Wrap in foil and finish in the oven if necessary (until tender).

Fresh out of the smoker/oven it's some of the best damned Pastrami you'll ever eat!

Nice love the umbrella
For the actual win...;)

Killer Hogs The BBQ Rub (clone)

[3/8 cup] Brown Sugar (light)

[3/8 cup] Raw Sugar

[3/8 cup] Paprika (McCormick Culinary – Cash & Carry)

[5 tsp] Salt

[1 TBSP] Chili Powder (Tradewinds New Mexico – Cash & Carry)

[3/4 tsp] Garlic granulated (Tradewinds – Cash & Carry)

[1-1/4 tsp] Orange Peel (Chuck's Produce – bulk)

[3/4 tsp] Onion powder (5th Season – Walmart)

[3/4 tsp] Mustard Flour (powder)

[1/4 tsp] Dill Weed

[1/4 tsp] Turmeric

[1/4 tsp] Cumin

[1/4 tsp] Cayenne Pepper

Yield : About 1 cup (+)

To approximate the Killer Hogs color use bright paprika and chili powder as listed. The onion powder listed is actually granulated which is preferred for this recipe. Cayenne amount is conservative to match the KHR heat level.

When measuring for 3/8 cup, 1/4 cup = 4 TBSP

Last Edited:
This thread is FANTASTIC and making me HUNGRY!!

Will try to dig up some pics of some of the stuff I've made over the years. But for now, here's a Mop Sauce recipe that I have been using for decades on mostly ribs, but it is fantastic on anything pork or poultry. We have dubbed it Fatty's Mop Sauce. And sometimes I double or triple the recipe depending on how much meat is in the smoker. This mop gives the meat an unbelievable flavor, keeps it super moist and caramelizes the meat slightly.

Fatty's Mop Sauce

3 Tbsp Unsalted butter (melted) I use unsalted because rub on meat usually has enough salt.

1 cup Apple Cider

3 Tbsp Bourbon (give yourself some too ;))

3 Tbsp Soy Sauce

This thread is FANTASTIC and making me HUNGRY!!

Will try to dig up some pics of some of the stuff I've made over the years. But for now, here's a Mop Sauce recipe that I have been using for decades on mostly ribs, but it is fantastic on anything pork or poultry. We have dubbed it Fatty's Mop Sauce. And sometimes I double or triple the recipe depending on how much meat is in the smoker. This mop gives the meat an unbelievable flavor, keeps it super moist and caramelizes the meat slightly.

Fatty's Mop Sauce

3 Tbsp Unsalted butter (melted) I use unsalted because rub on meat usually has enough salt.

1 cup Apple Cider

3 Tbsp Bourbon (give yourself some too ;))

3 Tbsp Soy Sauce

Sounds great !
Using the unsalted butter is smart.

Things like Garlic Salt, Lemon Salt, etc have been evicted from my pantry.
You want to control your salt in one module, it's called Salt.
:D

Last Edited:
i like this thread too and OOOOO its gettin close to traeger season at work... me and 3 other guys from the shop all cook somethin up different days of the week bring it into work the next day for us to eat at lunch!! i considered buying a second traeger and storing it at work!

man, this has got my mouth waterin!!
I bring my gasser to work for some "Hot'n Fast" lunchtime cookin'.
Took me an entire summer to crack the code on Gartner's Marinated Beef Short Ribs.
It is a very unique flavor and closely guarded recipe.....

3 minutes per side and bam! you're eatin' ribs !
(prep the sides at home)
14sfexx.jpg

Original thread...
Flanken Cut Ribs NW Style - www.ifish.net

I can see that we are going to need a dedicated Recipe Thread !

Last Edited:
I can see that we are going to need a dedicated Recipe Thread ![/QUOTE]

This kind of started that way but rest is good info/fun also.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top