JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Share your smoking rub recipes also what type of smoker you use and wood that you use.
Yes I am looking for your secret hand me down recipes. (if your willing to share) don't be shy it will be just be between you and me:rolleyes:

I'm just starting and so far My rub is season salt and the wood is fresh cut apple twigs on a gas cajun injector smoker. I've got chicken down pretty good but I'm wanting to expand to ribs and brisket.

I have started making pork carnitas in my smoker. I make a rub of Chili Powder, Garlic Salt, Cumin and Coriander (2:2:1:1) and let it sit on the meat for 8-12 hours. (the night before) Then the shoulder roast goes in the smoker @180-220*F for 4-6 hours with oak & mesquite.
Then it gets wrapped in foil and finished in the oven @300*if necessary. Then it gets fork shredded.
Reserve the drippings and add a li'l olive oil if necessary, toss, and back in a 375* oven in a cast-iron skillet until the tips of the shreds start to get crispy.

The tacos won't kill you, but your gluttony might!

Don't have recipes but I will chime in one thing. The pellet smokers are worth what they cost. Years ago Wife asked about a Traeger. I looked, thought $400 seemed dumb. Her Dad bought one, did not like it. Too slow for him. Gave it to us. It was kind of like when I discover the microwave. Back when they cost what a usable used car ran. It makes everything better. Even bacon. I did not think you could possibly improve bacon. I was wrong. :D

Cool thread. I had to bbq some steaks for the family on Christmas. My youngest daughter loves it when I bbq. I usually throw a handful of hickory chips in the smoker tray when I bbq. I wish I knew more about smoking, that will be my next black Friday purchase I guess....

Last Edited:
Half Texan here...

Great brisket is a pita unless you have a pellet smoker.

I normally rub my preferred spices on it the night before and shoot for keeping the temp 225 for as long as is needed for it to start falling apart on the edges (get a full brisket - the bottom slab + the fat layer and the top beef which is the prime eating;)).

I've cooked them in as little as 10 hours and as long as 19.

Cosistant temps and regular soaked smoke chips (especially at the beginning). I check mine, the temp - do not open the lid to the chamber with the meat in it, every 15 min for the first 3 hours, then every 20 min for 3 hours, then every 30 min for the remainder of the time.

A buddy with a tragger puts his in and lets it go till its done - cheating bastidge!!! (Ok, I'm just envious probably:D).

Best of luck - BBQ is an art so stick with it and it will get better every time.

Half Texan here...

Great brisket is a pita unless you have a pellet smoker.

I normally rub my preferred spices on it the night before and shoot for keeping the temp 225 for as long as is needed for it to start falling apart on the edges (get a full brisket - the bottom slab + the fat layer and the top beef which is the prime eating;)).

I've cooked them in as little as 10 hours and as long as 19.

Cosistant temps and regular soaked smoke chips (especially at the beginning). I check mine, the temp - do not open the lid to the chamber with the meat in it, every 15 min for the first 3 hours, then every 20 min for 3 hours, then every 30 min for the remainder of the time.

A buddy with a tragger puts his in and lets it go till its done - cheating bastidge!!! (Ok, I'm just envious probably:D).

Best of luck - BBQ is an art so stick with it and it will get better every time.

LOL, that was what I found right off the bat. These things are like the crock pot of smoking. You turn it on and forget it almost. They are VERY easy to use.

Yes let's hear them recipes just so happens I got s smoker for Christmas lol nothing fancy just the big chief LOL I GIVE MY SISTER A AR15 SHE GIVES ME A SMOKER WINNER WINNER CHICKEN DINNER

Don't have recipes but I will chime in one thing. The pellet smokers are worth what they cost. Years ago Wife asked about a Traeger. I looked, thought $400 seemed dumb. Her Dad bought one, did not like it. Too slow for him. Gave it to us. It was kind of like when I discover the microwave. Back when they cost what a usable used car ran. It makes everything better. Even bacon. I did not think you could possibly improve bacon. I was wrong. :D

I bought a traeger (not cheap) tried it on different meats. guess I got a defective one because it would NOT put any smoke flavor/smoke ring in the meat. talked to Traeger and they sent some pellets they said was good for a strong smoke flavor still nothing. finally got fed up with it and returned it to costco.I get better smoke flavor from the
cajun injector smoker. just need to get the technique down.

Salt
Black pepper
Ground dry onion
Ground dry garlic (about 1/4-1/3 of the onion
Dry sage
Brown sugar

Adjust to your personal pallet and preferences but that will do well for just about any cut of meat.

Spray with apple juice thrughout the process to keep it moist to the end.

Share your smoking rub recipes also what type of smoker you use and wood that you use.
Yes I am looking for your secret hand me down recipes. (if your willing to share) don't be shy it will be just be between you and me:rolleyes:

I'm just starting and so far My rub is season salt and the wood is fresh cut apple twigs on a gas cajun injector smoker. I've got chicken down pretty good but I'm wanting to expand to ribs and brisket.
Salt and pepper is a good starting point. The best advice I can give you would be...
Keep a log! Enter such things as...
Cut you are cooking
Temp you are cooking at
Rub you used, be specific here
Time you had the meat on your cooker
Ambient outside temp
Wood or flavorings you used and how much was added
All these and most important your comments on how you liked the finished product. Be honest here.
How detailed you want to be is your call.
This is just a guide to get you started no matter the cooker you use.

I bought a traeger (not cheap) tried it on different meats. guess I got a defective one because it would NOT put any smoke flavor/smoke ring in the meat. talked to Traeger and they sent some pellets they said was good for a strong smoke flavor still nothing. finally got fed up with it and returned it to costco.I get better smoke flavor from the

The barrel shaped ones with the separate smoke box style is my favorite.

Oh, also keep a pan of water under the meat - or add beer, the steam will also help with keeping the meat moist as well as catch the fat drippings and keep the grill clean.

I would have to guess something was wrong with it alright. I know squat about smoking, do like the results. When we got ours first thing Wife did was just put a couple whole chickens in it. When they were done I was shocked at how good they were. So damn moist and smoke flavored. I like cold chicken next day in salad. Even with me dumping my favorite (Lighthouse) Ranch dressing on the salad I could still really taste the smoke flavor in the chicken. Not to mention we got it in the summer and cooking outside when it's hot was another plus. When Wife put some bacon in the damn thing that was it for me on making it in the oven like I used to do. Makes cheap store brand bacon taste like the best stuff you can buy.

I would have to guess something was wrong with it alright. I know squat about smoking, do like the results. When we got ours first thing Wife did was just put a couple whole chickens in it. When they were done I was shocked at how good they were. So damn moist and smoke flavored. I like cold chicken next day in salad. Even with me dumping my favorite (Lighthouse) Ranch dressing on the salad I could still really taste the smoke flavor in the chicken. Not to mention we got it in the summer and cooking outside when it's hot was another plus. When Wife put some bacon in the damn thing that was it for me on making it in the oven like I used to do. Makes cheap store brand bacon taste like the best stuff you can buy.

My father in law must have gotten a bad traeger too. His smoked chicken this year was damn near flavorless. My wife asked if he changed the recipe, his reply was he got a new Traeger. He seemed pretty happy about it. Hopefully he gets it figured out.. I'm a cheap bastid, I'll probably end up buying a Char-broil to match my BBQ. The electric thermostat models look real inviting..

Last Edited:
For a basic rub, Salt, Pepper, Sugar and Old Bay seasoning.
Ratio = 1:1:2:3 for starters. Adjust as necessary.
Pork likes more sugar, Chicken likes slightly less Old Bay, and a shorter dry-brine time.

Try hickory and apple for the pork, maple and cherry for the chicken.

The problem I have with Traegers is,... I don't need a BBQ that has to be plugged in, and I don't need to smoke in an oven.
So I have a Weber for grilling and a solid fuel upright smoker, a heavily modified Brinkman, that allows me to get up to slightly over 250*F. If I want to BBQ hotter than 250*F, I use the Weber, and it works great.

But one of these days I'll dump the upright and build an offset and be happy! I'm not a fan of a heat source I add chips to. I like a wood fire to make the heat and the smoke.

image.jpeg image.jpeg
Bad upload
Better upload and damn near fool proof.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR