JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Hey!! Attention all smokers!!

Remember that Pastrami recipe I posted a couple pages back??

Winco has Corned Beef Brisket Point Cuts on sale for $1.98/lb right now.
Get the Points, put them in in the smoker fat-cap up and they self baste!!

And they're all sealed in the brine and they freeze REALLY well.
Go ahead, you'll thank me when you're eatin' Pastrami sammiches on the 4th of July.
Just to make it easy on everybody..
St Paddy's day is just around the corner guys, so look for Corned Beef Briskets on sale. They can be had cheap at Winco, Roth's etc. Usually <$2.50/lb.

We're makin' Pastrami baby!

Give them a 30 min parboil, (gets the excess cure out) pat dry and rub thoroughly with ground Coriander, black pepper and (optional) a little mustard seed. Let it sit for at least 2 hours (but 4 is better).
Then pop it in the smoker for 4-6 hours @180-200*F. Wrap in foil and finish in the oven if necessary (until tender).

Fresh out of the smoker/oven it's some of the best damned Pastrami you'll ever eat!

It's leg of lamb for this guy on pattys day and whole smoked brisket (not marinated) for the 4th of July.

Some traditions ya can't break:D.

I did love some good pastrami though when I could eat black pepper:oops:.

Great thread guys. I've been enjoying the heck out of my new smoker. Smoked a couple chickens, some venison summer sausage, and tomorrow some salmon. Thanks for all the great recipe's. A special thanks to joe13, as I think adding the apple juice in the water tray and occasionally spraying the meat with apple juice is a great idea. This 30" electric digital MES is a champ and ridiculously easy to use. I bought it on line through Amazon for something like $167.00 and now see them everywhere I look: Coastal farm and ranch, Cabela's, and Sportsman's... I couldn't be happier and am glad I finally took the plunge after all these years... Oh, by the way, that wireless thermometer probe is the ticket....

Last Edited:
The YouTube channel 'allthingsbbq' is a really great channel and the videos are short and concise as well as well edited.

I haven't pick up much but a couple tricks for cuts of meat I've never smoked.

@bsa1917hunter, if you like the Apple juice and get a little bored, try adding a little makers mark bourbon to spice it up a bit (and you can always desolve a bit of brown sugar if you want a sweeter glaze).

Thanks Joe. I'm getting ready to put the salmon in right now. Been to a gunshow and a gunshop and to Vancouver. Back at home now, Now it's time to smoke some fish!!!! :D

Found a good tv series called BBQ pitmasters on dish. Channel AMERI 194. It doesn't give total recipes but gives other helpful info. If nothing else it gets you in the mood to get off your butt and do some smoking.

IMG_0300.JPG This is just olive oil and sea salt,right from the smoker,into the crock pot for a few hours
image.jpg
Fire box is bottom right. Yes I milled those boards. Yes it was supposed to look red neck:s0108:

Dam I was pretty close in guessing , since I've haven't seen a picture of a lung since high school. Which now for some reason feels like a million years ago :(
Cow lung,duh!:confused:
I peeled a pork shoulder off the bone to get more smoke in it.
If you saw the other side you would recognize the skin but this side looks yummy in person:D

Marinade recipe ?

The base is 3 cups soy sauce, 1 cup water, 1 cup sugar, and 1/8 cup roasted sesame oil, the dark one, not the light colored one for salads. You can use brown or white sugar depending on your taste.
The rest I don't measure and go by how it looks. Try it once and then add or detract based on your taste. I will just say a bunch of everything.
Fresh minced ginger
Garlic, chopped or minced
Green onions, chopped or sliced thinly.
Red chili pepper flakes
Roasted sesame seeds

I trim the fat off the ribs and put them in gallon freezer bags, pour in the marinade and squish them around. I double bag them as if they open in the fridge, it will smell up everything else and make a huge mess.
Marinade for at least 2 or three days even better. Pick up the bags and squish them around to mix up the marinade twice a day.

Grill on high heat for a couple minutes a side. Don't overcook or they will be dry and tough.

London Broil on the smoker

3#s of meat

Marinade

1C Water
1C Soy sauce
3T Fish sauce
3T Worcestershire sauce
1 medium white onion, chopped
1C Pineapple juice
1C Crushed Pineapple
3t Sugar

Let it soak in marinade for a minimum of 8hrs, the longer the more tender it will be. I did 17hrs. Then set the meat out and let it come to room temp b4 you put it in the smoker.

Smoke over MHC (maple hickory cherry mix) at 225'F until 120'F internal temp

Then on to a preheated 500'F+ grill and bring the IT to 135'F

IMG_2044.JPG

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR