JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Here are some of my favorite smoker/barbecue sites. Many tips and recipes to review. Different rubs for different meats. Wood is very important for the right smoke flavor. Just don't overdo it. To strong a smoke will ruin the flavor of the meat itself.

The Smoke Ring Check out the library and forum.
The Virtual Weber Bullet - For the Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker smoker enthusiast
amazingribs.com
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. - Powered by vBulletin

I use a Weber Smokey Mountain.

View attachment 332314

Prime rib. I use Penzeys English prime rib rub. Pecan and cherry wood
View attachment 332315

Ribs.
View attachment 332316

Pork shoulder and brats
View attachment 332317
That's it pecan I was trying to remember what kind of wood we used to cook the pig down south

My favorite way to make smoked salmon might be considered sacrilege by you purists but I swear it's amazing.
Lawrys seasoned salt
Yellow cedar

I was hipped to this recipe by the smoked salmon guy at neah bay, who makes the greatest smoked fish ever, imo.

I also happen to have an empty 55 gallon fuel drum in the warehouse and have been wanting to turn it into one of these for a long time..
Build Your Own Smoker From a 55-Gallon Drum
Maybe this is the year for that!

That's what I use on chicken.

I know Traegers are supposed to be the best thing since sliced bread, but I have a Cajun Injector I use to smoke two 20 lb turkeys every Thanksgiving. My daughter who doesn't like turkey will only eat mine:D

I have found brining to be the big secret for most meats. For turkey I brine overnight in a mixture of cloves, garlic, mulberry, bay leaves, thyme, and of course salt, all in apple juice. Then I use a dry rub the next day after rinsing usually of brown sugar, paprika, and black pepper and then smoke over Applewood chips..... turns out great and the Cajun holds temperature great... except for when it gets cold like last year and I had to quickly put a box around the smoker to keep the temperature up... this year was much warmer and I didn't have that problem.

Now that's what I'm looking for:s0155::s0155::s0155:

I know Traegers are supposed to be the best thing since sliced bread, but I have a Cajun Injector I use to smoke two 20 lb turkeys every Thanksgiving. My daughter who doesn't like turkey will only eat mine:D

I have found brining to be the big secret for most meats. For turkey I brine overnight in a mixture of cloves, garlic, mulberry, bay leaves, thyme, and of course salt, all in apple juice. Then I use a dry rub the next day after rinsing usually of brown sugar, paprika, and black pepper and then smoke over Applewood chips..... turns out great and the Cajun holds temperature great... except for when it gets cold like last year and I had to quickly put a box around the smoker to keep the temperature up... this year was much warmer and I didn't have that problem.

what do you use for keeping the wood in? just the tray that came with it ir something else?

View attachment 332103 View attachment 332104

This would be my ideal setup as I do not have access to good applewood and I'm not a hickory fan. If I lived down south and had access to good wood I would be a wood fire fan but as it is I use charcoal and wood chips.

Fire box on one side, grill in the middle (or you can smoke in it like I do now) and a smoker on the other side. Feeds a huge party!

You do realize that apple wood is super abundant in the PNW, right?
Drive by any apple orchard and stop in and talk to them. If you have a chainsaw, look for destroyed trees on Craigslist after windstorms.
I have cherry, apple, and maple, because of using craigslist and harvest blowdowns.
Also, we have Oak here in the PNW, and lots of it. It is hickory's cousin. Lighter in flavor and easy to find. I pair oak and cherry together, a lot.
To say that the PNW does not have good wood, is uneducated, at best.
Not to mention you can go into a lot of places that sell BBQ related items and probably find a good selection of chunks. Use your googlefu.

Last Edited:
Man I wish I lived somewhere that had different kinds of trees oh wait is that a log truck that just passed me OH AND ANOTHER man that last almost ran me off the road good thing he didn't I would have crashed it to that apple orchard and if I went off the road to the other side I would have crashed into that giant oak tree HEHEH HEHEH

You do realize that apple wood is super abundant in the PNW, right?
Drive by any apple orchard and stop in and talk to them. If you have a chainsaw, look for destroyed trees on Craigslist after windstorms.
I have cherry, apple, and maple, because of using craigslist and harvest blowdowns.
Also, we have Oak here in the PNW, and lots of it. It is hickory's cousin. Lighter in flavor and easy to find. I pair oak and cherry together, a lot.
To say that the PNW does not have good wood, is uneducated, at best.
Not to mention you can go into a lot of places that sell BBQ related items and probably find a good selection of chunks. Use your googlefu.

That's great to know:cool:.

I've just not known anyone who did that or mentioned it so yea, I is unedjumacated on the resources available on CL.

Thanks for the heads up and Haooy New Years too you!

I use a pretty standard gas grill. It has a wire rack above the flames for wood. Once is enough because once smoked, the flavor stays in the meat. I soak the wood in water overnight so it doesn't just go up in flames. Only after the meat is smoked to I add my sauce.

I use a pretty standard "Memphis" sauce which is sweet and sour as opposed to "Texas style" which is more sour. That's a matter of taste.

I don't put any sauce on until I think the meat is smoked and they I apply it with a brush. Periodically if it starts to look dried out I add more sauce.

For ribs I just submerge them in sauce in the crock pot and cook them on low until they are falling off the bone. There's a little bit of liquid smoke in that sauce. They are wonderful.

For salmon it's skin side down, sprinkle on some lemon juice and rub with butter. Then a little lemon pepper and garlic salt and cook in the BBQ until the segments easily separate and they are done. This is a "famous" recipe used by a lot of guides and avid fishermen on the Rogue River.

This is a "famous" recipe used by a lot of guides and avid fishermen on the Rogue River.
Yeah,famous
Just like the one I posted from a pro:confused:
And the other million recipes from the other million fishermen in Wa on the Puyallup,Lewis,Cowlitz,SolDuc,Dungenous,Hoh,Quiliute,Columbia,all the ones I forgot and all the rivers in Or too.;)
:D

I use a pretty standard gas grill. It has a wire rack above the flames for wood. Once is enough because once smoked, the flavor stays in the meat. I soak the wood in water overnight so it doesn't just go up in flames. Only after the meat is smoked to I add my sauce.

I use a pretty standard "Memphis" sauce which is sweet and sour as opposed to "Texas style" which is more sour. That's a matter of taste.

I don't put any sauce on until I think the meat is smoked and they I apply it with a brush. Periodically if it starts to look dried out I add more sauce.

For ribs I just submerge them in sauce in the crock pot and cook them on low until they are falling off the bone. There's a little bit of liquid smoke in that sauce. They are wonderful.

For salmon it's skin side down, sprinkle on some lemon juice and rub with butter. Then a little lemon pepper and garlic salt and cook in the BBQ until the segments easily separate and they are done. This is a "famous" recipe used by a lot of guides and avid fishermen on the Rogue River.

This is a BBQ thread not a gas grill infomercial:p:p:p.

Just poking some fun:D, coming from a southern background I can't stand liquid smoke or people who "BBQ" in the oven and crockpots - but to each their own.:rolleyes:

Tragers are dog . Spend more.
Sawtooth grill
Mak.
But nothing smokes like a wood smoker. Nuttin!

I wont cook on anything other an offset pit. When it comes to brisket, butts, ribs, and sausages.
When cooking on a week night or just a limited time cook, the old weber kettle gets the job done every time. I stack the lump to one side and put a small wood split in on top in the Weber.

For you guys that are cooking whole packers(brisket), you need to do yourself a favor. Make some Burnt Ends next time.
The packer is comprised of 2 muscles. The flat and the point. Burnt Ends are made from the point.
I will save the long write up about the method as it can be found from several sources online.
Basically, once the brisket is done, you want to separate the point from the flat. I like to do this once the flat is cooked to my desire. I cut the point off and usually drop the flat into a cooler to rest. While the flat is resting i get to cubing the point up real quick. Bite size morsels are about the correct size. I then toss them in my desired rub. Back to the smoker, in a foil pan uncovered for another hour with them. I then pull them out, and check tenderness, then usually sauce them lightly. Back to the smoker with them for another hour or so.
They should form a nice gooey crust with the rub, sauce, and fat from the point. A few pieces should be kinda crusty, or a real nice caramelization.
Once done, dont share them or show them off.
Find a loaf of white bread, pickles, and some thinly slice onion. And quiet spot away from any prying eyes or forks.
Eat the hell out of those Burnt Ends. Enjoyed with your favorite ice cold beverage.

Then share the left overs, if there are any.

I do this when i cook packers. I have to find a new hiding spot in the house every time to eat my Burnt Ends.

HFG pit.jpg

I found this one to be a good rub for pork, especially ribs!

This is for 3 pounds..
"It starts out with dry Taco Seasoning. I tried it since it has cumin and other flavorings already added and since it is a sealed package, the flavors are still fresh.

1 pkg. taco seasoning (any brand works)
2 tbs. New Mexico chili powder or your favorite blend
1 tbs. salt
2 tsp black pepper
1 good handful of dark brown sugar.
1/4 cup white sugar
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tbs dried onion
Double, triple or more for larger amounts of ribs.

Rub into meat, place into a Tupperware or other non metal container for at least four hours in fridge.

So, after that the ribs go into the smoker for three hours or so, (any one else use vine maple?) then off to the BBQ for a low and slow:D

I believe I found this recipe here several years ago!

For you guys that are cooking whole packers(brisket), you need to do yourself a favor. Make some Burnt Ends next time.
<Snip>
Find a loaf of white bread, pickles, and some thinly slice onion. And quiet spot away from any prying eyes or forks.
Eat the hell out of those Burnt Ends. Enjoyed with your favorite ice cold beverage.

Then share the left overs, if there are any.

I do this when i cook packers. I have to find a new hiding spot in the house every time to eat my Burnt Ends.
Burnt Ends and Bark are at least half the reason to BBQ a Brisket in the first place!

True. But some are less enlightened than others. :D
And if I'm doin' the cookin', and sneaking 'round the corner with my hoard of burnt ends, they're gonna stay less enlightened!
I'm kinda greedy that way.
Of course no one understands how I could already be full when dinner hits the table. :p

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top